Are you considered dumb if you get tutoring? (1 Viewer)

HSC
dont have to be.
if you can find more efficient methods of studying, tutoring would not be necessary.

targeting tutoring and selective kids.
just the successful underdog who was free from the influence of either.

ironic.
This is inspiring to read.

shady145

Banned
HSC
dont have to be.
if you can find more efficient methods of studying, tutoring would not be necessary.

targeting tutoring and selective kids.
just the successful underdog who was free from the influence of either.

ironic.
UNCLE what UAI did you get, i want to see if i'm successful XD

ashllis92

HSC
Tutoring can also provide a place to ask those really "dumb" questions about things that simply do not click for you. You're not holding up the class but you are learning the required material. Having said that, a lot of people who get tutoring don't really need it and could get by just fine with some hard work by themselves.

K

khorne

Lets go through each point:

Tutoring can be used as 'forced motivation', forcing you to study even when you've lost focus at school:

If you are so dumb-shit retarded, that you can't stop playing farm-fucking-ville or being on BOS for 2 hours a night (in an otherwise...8 hour night?), then you don't deserve to get a decent ATAR. Motivate yourself...Think, if each millimetre represented a year, and you live, lets say 8 cms (80 years), year 12 is one millimetre on that line...a millimetre which could influence the rest of the line...If that can't get you motivated, drop school, and start packing shopping bags.

Tutoring can be used to catch up on work that you've missed out on school (for whatever reason).

This is perhaps your best point. However, i fail to see why a dedicated, or even "smart" student couldn't ask the teacher, go on BOS, search the internet or even, dare I saw, look in their textbook, for help on the missed work, thereby negating any need for tutoring.

Tutoring can be used if you feel your school is too slow and you want to get ahead, but you're not sure how to study yourself:

Wow...How lame. One point at a time but.

If, as you say, smart people go to tutoring, what makes smart people smart....In general, their ability to grasp concepts. If this is the case, and if they have the motivation (see point 1), anyone can grab a textbook, sit down, and learn ahead. Maths/science/english isn't exactly hard to self teach....I mean, if someone had to actually develop the concepts and prove identities, then I see no reaosn why anyone could not just learn from an already provided textbook, even asking their teacher for help.

Next...You will be studying for another...3-6 years after school, and have already been "studying" for at least 3 years. If you do not know by now, you are in trouble. Year 10 is the perfect time to try out various techniques (which are easily avaliable from websites) and see what works best. People should not rely on someone elses methods, everyone is different.

And last but not least, tutoring can be used if your teachers are shit:

This is another lame call...Some teachers are generally poor, but EVERY school has at least one good teacher you can talk to. Additionally, if you listen in class, ask questions and actually, hmm, Idk...read and review the textbook before and after the class, you might find it a lot more beneficial.

Now, I know this all sounds tough, but it's tough because it is reality.

flightlessbird

HSC
Lets go through each point:

Tutoring can be used as 'forced motivation', forcing you to study even when you've lost focus at school:

If you are so dumb-shit retarded, that you can't stop playing farm-fucking-ville or being on BOS for 2 hours a night (in an otherwise...8 hour night?), then you don't deserve to get a decent ATAR. Motivate yourself...Think, if each millimetre represented a year, and you live, lets say 8 cms (80 years), year 12 is one millimetre on that line...a millimetre which could influence the rest of the line...If that can't get you motivated, drop school, and start packing shopping bags.

Tutoring can be used to catch up on work that you've missed out on school (for whatever reason).

This is perhaps your best point. However, i fail to see why a dedicated, or even "smart" student couldn't ask the teacher, go on BOS, search the internet or even, dare I saw, look in their textbook, for help on the missed work, thereby negating any need for tutoring.

Tutoring can be used if you feel your school is too slow and you want to get ahead, but you're not sure how to study yourself:

Wow...How lame. One point at a time but.

If, as you say, smart people go to tutoring, what makes smart people smart....In general, their ability to grasp concepts. If this is the case, and if they have the motivation (see point 1), anyone can grab a textbook, sit down, and learn ahead. Maths/science/english isn't exactly hard to self teach....I mean, if someone had to actually develop the concepts and prove identities, then I see no reaosn why anyone could not just learn from an already provided textbook, even asking their teacher for help.

Next...You will be studying for another...3-6 years after school, and have already been "studying" for at least 3 years. If you do not know by now, you are in trouble. Year 10 is the perfect time to try out various techniques (which are easily avaliable from websites) and see what works best. People should not rely on someone elses methods, everyone is different.

And last but not least, tutoring can be used if your teachers are shit:

This is another lame call...Some teachers are generally poor, but EVERY school has at least one good teacher you can talk to. Additionally, if you listen in class, ask questions and actually, hmm, Idk...read and review the textbook before and after the class, you might find it a lot more beneficial.

Now, I know this all sounds tough, but it's tough because it is reality.
=/

Who knew that one person could be so passionate about such a trivial topic like tutoring?

Some people like tutoring, they believe that it will help them. Good for them. Others do not feel the same way. And they obviously do not go to tutoring. End of story. No biggie; calm down. It's going to be OKAY! :rolleyes:

Anyway, no, you're not considered dumb if you get tutored. I know a lot of people who are quite intelligent that go to tutoring, they feel that it is beneficial.

K

khorne

That's hardly passionate...

it's just my full view on the topic. This is a _discussion_ forum, is it not?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But yeah, who cares.....this debate is quite endless. The people who don't go to tutoring will say they're against it, the people who do go to tutoring will say they're for it. Much like the Israel/Palestine thing. Much like one related two related thing. Much like an indeterminable amount of arguments to come.

K

khorne

But yeah, who cares.....this debate is quite endless. The people who don't go to tutoring will say they're against it, the people who do go to tutoring will say they're for it. Much like the Israel/Palestine thing. Much like one related two related thing. Much like an indeterminable amount of arguments to come.
It's nothing like it, you berk.

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
don't worry about if you're going to be considered dumb or not, you can prove all those that think that when you start topping the class and all. If you think you need tutor then i don't see why you shouldn't go for it.

aspired

HSC
Sadly, a lot of tutors only accept "smart" students nowadays and after the HSC, call all the students up, ask for their marks, and post the best marks so they can have reputation

However, it is reasonable if a student was disrupting the class though

wolfninjakp

HSC
i think going to tutoring centres like truong and peak isnt very effective for the sole reason that you become dependant on ii. it is basically a whole new class, and the students become dependant on it - not developing proper study habits and relying on tutoring.

tutoring should help you excell individually and not put additional strain on your learning. thats why individual tutors and study sessions where the main purpose s to excell at what your school is doing is great ^__^

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
Wow, most of the parents I know (mine included) consider kids who don't get tutored dumb for not wanting to maximise their ATAR.

martinc

HSC
Wow, most of the parents I know (mine included) consider kids who don't get tutored dumb for not wanting to maximise their ATAR.
Yeah, probably why you do Ext 2 Maths. I bet you're another one of those Hurlstone kids who just love Truong.

absorber

HSC
Getting tutoring is indicative of an inability to work independently; while you may seek it because you are stupid, this is far from being the rule. It doesn't infer less ability academically, it just infers a reliance on teachers to do well.

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
Yeah, probably why you do Ext 2 Maths. I bet you're another one of those Hurlstone kids who just love Truong.
The point of the post was to point out that I disagree with the connotations associated with tutoring. Also, Truong is the scourge of the Earth. Ext 2 Maths should be reserved for those who actually ENJOY maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)