Are you hand-writing your practice essays? (1 Viewer)

Are you hand-writing your Practice Essays?

• Yes

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 34.5%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
Hi all,

As we are coming closer to Trials, I imagine a fair few of you are already writing practice essays in preparation (as all good EE1 students should :p). Unless you have Special Consideration, you will have to hand-write all your essays...

The reality of this probably won't sink in until you start handwriting your prac essays. Just like prac exams, you will work differently when you are being timed - particularly as hand-writing tends to take longer than typing. Not only that, but it can be harder to read - you may need to adjust your handwriting to make sure it can be read by the markers.

But wait, there's more!

The chopping and changing that tends to go on during computer-typed essays can't happen to the same extent in hand-written ones, so it is worth familiarising yourself with the "first draft only without stopping" concept as early as you can. You may also find hand-written essays have greater flow, as you are writing it all out in one go rather than in bits and pieces.

So, the next time you do a practice essay, try hand writing it. :) It might be hard at first, but practice makes proficient! :)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I know everything you are saying is totally true but I hate hand writing stuff. The only time I hand write anything is during exams, I want special consideration. It's not my fault computers are taking over our lives.

HSC
N/A
I'll give you a lolly if you promise to at least try it? :p

Remember, you will still have to hand-write essays for Uni exams as well. Practicing now for the HSC is an excellent speed-writing exercise *nod*

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I'll give you a lolly if you promise to at least try it? :p

Remember, you will still have to hand-write essays for Uni exams as well. Practicing now for the HSC is an excellent speed-writing exercise *nod*
I hate how my hands can get so tense after writing for awhile that they hurt. :(

Glitterfairy is too nice. ^^

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
I hate how my hands can get so tense after writing for awhile that they hurt.
I know. I'm sorry :(

Something you can try is to keep a bottle of moisturiser around to make the skin happy again after going through an exam. Massages and manicures are also a good idea - I became an expert nail-polisher during my HSC ;)

Aside from that, try not to grip your pen *too* tightly, or invest in the nice ones that have squishy rubber stuff on them :) Also, take the time every now and again to shake all the stiffness out.

Last edited:

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
My EE1 teacher is FORCING us all to hand write our prac essays from now on - she won't accept anything typed. :(

I have really bad writing and am quite slow - as I found out when I tried to handwrite a practice during last week.

I tend to grip the pen really tightly and press really hard on the paper too...

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
I DO have special considerations :) Trust me when I say that it is utterly overrated, and doesn't give an advantage. Try typing your practise essays with no autocorrect, spelling and grammar checking and on a 7 year old laptop. Now come tell me that typing is quicker :)

flamearrows

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
flamearrows said:
I DO have special considerations :) Trust me when I say that it is utterly overrated, and doesn't give an advantage. Try typing your practise essays with no autocorrect, spelling and grammar checking and on a 7 year old laptop. Now come tell me that typing is quicker :)

flamearrows
Yeah im getting special provisions to use a computer 2 do my HSC exams (except maths obviously) and its not really an advantage. I dont get any extra time or anything. Its just typing as opposed to writing. I had medical reasons and also my writing is very difficult to read.
You have to do it in notepad with no spell check, no formatting or anything!

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I handwrote mine and then typed it for the teacher, altering it along the way! {more legible that way i guess}

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
flamearrows said:

flamearrows
my teacher says she's going to murder me if she sees anything typed.

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
Hi all,

As we are coming closer to Trials, I imagine a fair few of you are already writing practice essays in preparation (as all good EE1 students should :p). Unless you have Special Consideration, you will have to hand-write all your essays...

The reality of this probably won't sink in until you start handwriting your prac essays. Just like prac exams, you will work differently when you are being timed - particularly as hand-writing tends to take longer than typing. Not only that, but it can be harder to read - you may need to adjust your handwriting to make sure it can be read by the markers.

But wait, there's more!

The chopping and changing that tends to go on during computer-typed essays can't happen to the same extent in hand-written ones, so it is worth familiarising yourself with the "first draft only without stopping" concept as early as you can. You may also find hand-written essays have greater flow, as you are writing it all out in one go rather than in bits and pieces.

So, the next time you do a practice essay, try hand writing it. :) It might be hard at first, but practice makes proficient! :)
Good advice. When did you become mod? Were you witness to the lovely fiasco that was "The PM"?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I hate how my hands can get so tense after writing for awhile that they hurt. :(

Glitterfairy is too nice. ^^
Lay your hand out dead flat on the desk for about 10 seconds should help.

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
Lay your hand out dead flat on the desk for about 10 seconds should help.
Yeh, that does. Also if you lay it flat and stretch it by pushing on your thumb and index finger

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
About a week and a bit ago. :)
Ah. Now I understand the "that wasn't a very appropriate/responsible post, Pwar" post.

HSC
N/A
No, I just felt that I shouldn't discuss anything specifically mod-related in regular forums. I'll pm you.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
i am handwriting mine but because they get messy and scribbly after the first page or so of super-high-speed-writing, i am re-writing them before i hand them in. that way i get the information in my head twice and it's easier for me/my teacher to read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)