Are you happy with what you are currently studying (at USyd)? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just a general thread to see whether we are all enjoying ourselves or whether the hopes of the past have been forgotten following too many trips along USyd's "I didn't sign up for this" Lane.

Anyone (from USyd) willing to be frank?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Generator said:
Just a general thread to see whether we are all enjoying ourselves or whether the hopes of the past have been forgotten following too many trips along USyd's "I didn't sign up for this" Lane.

Anyone (from USyd) willing to be frank?
OMG Generator, I'm not at USyd yet, but from what I read in the handbooks it looks good. Oh and my high school teachers suck!

EDIT: On a more serious note, the subject matter for maths is enjoyable, as is that for engineering computing, aerospace, as much as I hate it, has given me at least a couple of good friends, and physics was good for the first (mechanics) half of semester, but now I'm not so sure. The teaching for maths, and the first half of physics, has been good, but the engineering computing lecturers make me laugh because they have no clue, aerospace lecturer is a dick, and the latter physics lecturers either add an upward inflection to everything or have their voice at the perfect tone to lull me to sleep. Overall I'd rate it a 7/10.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ECMT1010 - crap. I haven't spoken to anyone who finds it interesting, but its a prereq, so HA!
Industrial relations - i dont find it interesting but its very relevant and I had a great lecturer.
Political economy: economics as a social science: I can't stress more how important it is for everyone to at least take this UOS in this subject. It will broaden your mind and the lecturer is the best you'll ever get. I thought this subject would be crap, but am amazed at how much I love it now. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Marketing 1001 - pretty boring lecturer, pretty standard stuff. Crappy assessment schedule. However, you'll have to do it if you want to major in marketing. Oh well. Hopefully next sem will be fun.

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
OMG Generator, I'm not at USyd yet, but from what I read in the handbooks it looks good. Oh and my high school teachers suck!
That would have to be a (if not the) classic replica of the very post that is of no value yet is forever posted by those wanting to sprout forth their thoughts in the hope that someone may care. Keep it up, Calculon.

As for myself, I have learnt to live with a great deal. The lowering of standards has worked to my advantage (I was accepted into an Honours year) and the apparent lack of focus evident within many units (be they theoretical or vocational) is now no longer a concern. I'm not exactly studying what it is that truly interests me at the current time, but I'm happy enough with my lot (for now).

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
relatively. happy with my course overall.

mktg1001 - pissed off at the intl student-convenient exam, but enjoy it
work1001 - love it
ecop1001 - love it

wiki- if you think the standard of students and teachers is shit at usyd, you'd have a rude shock at any other uni in nsw, cept UNSW.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Generator said:
As for myself, I have learnt to live with a great deal. The lowering of standards has worked to my advantage (I was accepted into an Honours year) and the apparent lack of focus evident within many units (be they theoretical or vocational) is now no longer a concern. I'm not exactly studying what it is that truly interests me at the current time, but I'm happy enough with my lot (for now).
Do you mean the lowering of marking standards?

Generator

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Do you mean the lowering of marking standards?
I was expecting a higher level in general, to tell the truth (then again, I may be underestimating my own abilties to a certain degree, too). Standards may not be dropping (in my particular school, at least), but given my own expectations I cannot help but think that that is the case.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wikiwiki said:
I agree totally, that is how I feel. I don't think I am anywhere near a genius and I seem to have some ease in getting high distinctions for work (as long as it is not a "shit two hours till it is due" job).
hahahah prepare to get a credit or max distinction in the essay you get back on tuesday :p
You've only had one assignment so how can you say 'ease in getting hd's for work'?
Apparently the q1 average is 52 and the q3 avg mark is 58 or somethign like that.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I would usually say Im fairly happy with my course but lately, i've been thinking its not really for me. I was adament at the end of yr 12 that usyd b comm (lib studies) was the best route and the only problem would be acquiring the UAI. Well, i managed it somehow and then was too caught up in everything to take a step back and truly see what i want. So, definately, some of my discontentment is directly because of my lack of sense.

Another thing is that i thought i would enjoy doing some arts units but now i never ever wanna step foot into any arts faculty classes EVER AGAIN. I thought i was a humanities person through and through and now i realise that that wasnt really me. My degree only has a small arts requirement but its enough to make me rant for days. Science is not really a problem cos i havent done it but im feeling its a burden rather something im looking forward ot "broaden my horizon"...

overall, i still feel fairly lucky im in my course but if i assess everything overall, i think i would be happier in a 3 yr economics degree. Its a less safe route i suppose (and probably not as good a degree as b com lib studies, from hearsay) but i think it would be better if i took the dive and just did what i really want. Plus, I still would like to do law afterward so a 3 yr degree (though not much shorter i realise) is still better.

in terms of usyd itself, i love it even though im still having trouble settling in. I dont think problem can be attributed to usyd though. I would struggle to adapt anywhere, be it UTS, UNSW or UWS or MQ or whatever.

yeah, so for the above reasons, im looking into transferring to UNSW's B Ec program next yr...not too sure though. Half my heart still lies with B com lib studies at usyd...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I would usually say Im fairly happy with my course but lately, i've been thinking its not really for me. I was adament at the end of yr 12 that usyd b comm (lib studies) was the best route and the only problem would be acquiring the UAI. Well, i managed it somehow and then was too caught up in everything to take a step back and truly see what i want. So, definately, some of my discontentment is directly because of my lack of sense.

Another thing is that i thought i would enjoy doing some arts units but now i never ever wanna step foot into any arts faculty classes EVER AGAIN. I thought i was a humanities person through and through and now i realise that that wasnt really me. My degree only has a small arts requirement but its enough to make me rant for days. Science is not really a problem cos i havent done it but im feeling its a burden rather something im looking forward ot "broaden my horizon"...

overall, i still feel fairly lucky im in my course but if i assess everything overall, i think i would be happier in a 3 yr economics degree. Its a less safe route i suppose (and probably not as good a degree as b com lib studies, from hearsay) but i think it would be better if i took the dive and just did what i really want. Plus, I still would like to do law afterward so a 3 yr degree (though not much shorter i realise) is still better.

in terms of usyd itself, i love it even though im still having trouble settling in. I dont think problem can be attributed to usyd though. I would struggle to adapt anywhere, be it UTS, UNSW or UWS or MQ or whatever.

yeah, so for the above reasons, im looking into transferring to UNSW's B Ec program next yr...not too sure though. Half my heart still lies with B com lib studies at usyd...

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! I just found out i cant do a major in psych for b com (liberal studies) that is about 20 gay!
So it seems that the only way I can major in Marketing and Psych is through Commerce/Arts. But there's a catch. That involves commerce prereq's. And an extra year.
That is absolute crap. Now i have to reevaluate all my options.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah a psych major is pretty impossible due to CP requirements. The two commerce majors can be complimented with a 3rd major - the catch being that it must be from the arts fac lol

you might really want that major in psych but be careful as comm pre-req's might be bearable but a whole arts degree might just kill you. My friend is doing b comm/arts and is thinking of dropping arts. Then again, i've met a girl who is doing b comm/arts and wants to drop the comm degree lol

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
hahaha, i started the WORK1001 one at 5am the day it was due, after staying up all night doing the ECOP essay. i havent read it back recently, im way too scared, but it must be fucked-up bad. and i only mentioned marx as an example of marxist theory in IR... seriously, if i pass it will be a miracle

jellybeenz

HSC
I don't know. I really don't know.

I guess I knew what an Arts degree was going to be like, but I had no idea it would be just so easy to coast along and be happy with barely passing. Its true when they call it a Bachelor of Attendance-- and I would still fail. Its just so easy to not turn up.

I'm having a hard time fitting in. I'm having a hard time doing the work, not because it is difficult but because I'm just not motivated. I guess if I loved my subjects I would be motivated though, eh? I'm just not sure.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Arts is not a Bachelor of Attendance. And I hate when people look down upon B Arts students. They do that whole "I've got 30 hours a week and you do a crappy 12 hour week, so shut the fuck up" and I'm sitting there thinking, "excuse me, bitch, you CHOSE that degree, so you shut the fuck up" lol

It's fucking hard work. And I'm not for a second suggesting that it's harder than Aerospace/Engineering/Pharmacy, etc. But it still is hard work! Every degree is.

For the first 6 weeks I hated my degree. It was incredibly boring and I didn't think it was for me. I still don't think it is for me, lol but I'm enjoying it more (when the pressure isn't on)

However...I'm considering transferring to B Arts/LLB at MQ. (But i'd probably fail it lol)

jellybeenz

HSC
I do an Arts degree... I'm not looking down upon it... I just realised that its so easy not to turn up and just to coast through, but thats true about University in general. I don't know how much I'm enjoying the work. It could just be my own laziness.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i'm pretty happy with my degree. i dont know if i'l pass it all but its still okay. i wanted to transfer about 1/2 way during the semester but its pretty good now

tennille

HSC
My degree is okay. I'm happy with all my subjects except physics. I'll probably drop it next semester. :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Im not extremely happy in my degree. Its not so much that my degree is different to what I expect, its more that I have changed the path that I want my studies to go towards. Most specifically I want to study more of a mathematical/science based computing and hence do a bachelor of comp sci and advanced maths, something that usyd has stressed numerous times to me that they wont let me do. Im not really one to complain until they give in, so im seriously considering a transfer to UNSW to do B Comp Sci/BScience(Maths)

That is all :D

sarevok

HSC
I absolutely despise Microeconomics and I hate how assessments are being geared toward the international students. My commerce degree is also more boring than expected so I'll probably transfer to Comm/Arts next year.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan said:
Im not extremely happy in my degree. Its not so much that my degree is different to what I expect, its more that I have changed the path that I want my studies to go towards. Most specifically I want to study more of a mathematical/science based computing and hence do a bachelor of comp sci and advanced maths, something that usyd has stressed numerous times to me that they wont let me do. Im not really one to complain until they give in, so im seriously considering a transfer to UNSW to do B Comp Sci/BScience(Maths)

That is all :D
Can't you do a BSc with a major in compsci and a major in maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)