Are you meant to write a Statment for your major artwork? (1 Viewer)

Crizzy

HSC
Hi,
I was told from my art teacher that your not meant to write a statement for your major artwork and that the markers don't even look at the statment thingy.. :confused: Were we meant to??, because i didnt...
Is there anyone who did or were told to?

ellirene

HSC
hey well funny you mention that because ive just finished mine.
nah they dont look at it, but its always usefull to glue it to your logbook just
incase they dont completley understand your ideas/concept.
we have an art show at school coming up on monday and so ive just finished my statement for it so the un-educated can understand it :)
haha

goosiegoo

HSC
Yeah, like ellirene said you don't need one. I wrote in my logbook incase the markers wanted to look in it because they didn't understand the meaning (i would hope that doesn't happen...) but nothing official...

ss193.02

HSC
The statement isn't very important. Our teacher said to us that you used to not even be allowed to write a statement unless you made it into ArtExpress until just a few years ago.

We did write a statement but the teacher said it was only for practice. So don't worry about it if your teacher said not to write one. Just depends on what each school's art teacher decides.

slippys

HSC
an artists statements isnt such a great idea as you dont want to have to explain your artwork. your title and the artwork should explain itself and the markers will have their own take on it. if you tell them your intention then it might ruin their vision and force them to see yours, which can be uncomfortable. if they want to know what your vision is they can look at your progress in your VAPD. a statement is totally unnecessary. at art express it makes sense as the audience doesnt get to see your VAPD. the markers are pretty smart and worldly in art so they shouldnt have to have works explained to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)