Are you proud of going to your school? (1 Viewer)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Are people here proud of going to their school? ObliviousNinja keeps telling me that we should be embarrassed because we go to (x) school (and he keeps rambling on at how he should have gone to Kings or Normo). tbh today at the library at MQ I was one of the only people wearing my school uniform and I felt a little self-conscious :)p). I also don't feel particularly comfortable wearing my school jersey in public (maybe partly cos it's a private school and cos ObliviousNinja keeps saying how 'gay' it is to be wearing our jersey)

So is feeling ashamed at your school normal? I go to a private school btw. You can probably eliminate it based on my location.

(People that go to Top 10 schools need not answer. I've seen enough Hornsby Girls, NSG, NSB, Ruse jerseys to last me a lifetime).

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
new. its just a school like any other.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Yep, I'd say most people at my school have 'school pride' :)

Private School as well.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
haha no shame with my school :)

just ashamed with my jersey name choices...not even sure what I was thinking when I got it. I think I'm going to get bashed when I put it on.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I guess so, it's one of the better schools around my area and i haven't really got a problem with it.

From my experiences, the main people who continually bag it out are those who don't care about education and would say any school regardless of where they go is shit.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
If I'm not ashamed of going to my school then no one has the right to be ashamed of going to their school.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
But I go to a private school

pigas

HSC
Ashamed? Not really.. but I don't feel 'proud' either. My school is probably one of the better schools in my area, I guess. But the ranking is not so great, teachers are not so great either (they seem to employ literally anyone, including those who can barely speak english), spend so much of their money on pointless things around the school, and a lot of students here don't care about their education. But, other than that, it's alright.

iBibah

HSC
Are people here proud of going to their school? ObliviousNinja keeps telling me that we should be embarrassed because we go to (x) school (and he keeps rambling on at how he should have gone to Kings or Normo). tbh today at the library at MQ I was one of the only people wearing my school uniform and I felt a little self-conscious :)p). I also don't feel particularly comfortable wearing my school jersey in public (maybe partly cos it's a private school and cos ObliviousNinja keeps saying how 'gay' it is to be wearing our jersey)

So is feeling ashamed at your school normal? I go to a private school btw. You can probably eliminate it based on my location.

(People that go to Top 10 schools need not answer. I've seen enough Hornsby Girls, NSG, NSB, Ruse jerseys to last me a lifetime).
Comparing your school to top 10 is purely based on academics though. If he thinks all that makes a school is it's academic merit, then most schools should be 'embarrassed'.

For me, my school is pretty bad academically, poorly 'ranked' if you will, though i openly chose it over a selective school for other reasons I considered more important.

Going to a poorly ranked school doesn't make you dumb either, so I don't think you should be embarrassed.

studybuddy101

HSC
I really enjoy going to a lower ranked school. I get to be independent because teacher's trust me to do my own work, not to mention there's a lot of life skills you can't learn in an academic hothouse. Empathy/compassion and patience are just a few you really learn to value when you're surrounded by kids who might not be as academic as you are, especially when you're one of maybe 10 or so who are really passionate about their studies.

In a nutshell, i actually think the kids from lower ranked schools who put in the hard yards and get the results would generally be more capable in the real word straight out of high school and more likely to blossom in their chosen areas at uni

enoilgam

HSC
I guess I do have some sense of school pride, but I have pride in the people I went to school with and all the memories associated with that. The school itself was pretty good, for all their faults I do think I got a decent education, but it isnt exactly enough to make me proud. Like I said, I'm proud of my school mates and the memories - since I associate that with school, therein lies my sense of pride.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I guess I do have some sense of school pride, but I have pride in the people I went to school with and all the memories associated with that. The school itself was pretty good, for all their faults I do think I got a decent education, but it isnt exactly enough to make me proud. Like I said, I'm proud of my school mates and the memories - since I associate that with school, therein lies my sense of pride.
So deep

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Looking back at this thread has probably made me see at how I subconsciously judge people based on their academics and not on their actual person and for who they are. Which is probably a reason why my mum didn't want me to be selective (although she did apply me for it :/).

More philosophical musings to come

studybuddy101

HSC
Looking back at this thread has probably made me see at how I subconsciously judge people based on their academics and not on their actual person and for who they are. Which is probably a reason why my mum didn't want me to be selective (although she did apply me for it :/).

More philosophical musings to come
I used to do that. These days though i just don't ask people about their academics until i've gotten close to them, makes you more humble because most of the people you'll run into simply aren't academic prodigies and approaching them that way just ends up driving most people away.

jadiskris

HSC
I used to be extremely embarrassed about my school since I was brought up in this environment that focused heavily on being accepted into an academically recognized school more than anything. It certainly didn't help when a few individuals from private and selective school decided to gift me a few dirties after eyeing my uniform. So yeah, from ever since Year 7 I was really self conscious about being in public with my uniform. I never went anywhere after school.

By the time I got to Year 10 however I came to terms with what I would actually define as a good school. It doesn't have to be the most expensive school in the area, or be one of the top ten selective schools in the state. Personally I think it's all about the environment and the people there. So when the chance actually came for me to go to a selective school or a private I realized I actually really like my old school and decided not to pursue both offers.

I mean just because you go to The King's School or James Ruse Agricultural it doesn't automatically make you a better person or deserve more respect from society. Likewise I don't think people who attend government-run comprehensive schools deserves to be looked down upon. Don't get me wrong, I'm friends with people from schools like Pymble, JRA, NSG etc. and most of them are great but there's always this minority group.

It's unfortunate that many of us don't actually start to think this way until the last years of our schooling life. Even now, officially in Year 12 some of my friends from selective schools still looks down on the people from my school, and perhaps silently behind my back, on me as well.

My brother currently goes Sydney Grammar and he's in no way proud of it.
He tells me when the name Sydney Grammar is mentioned the first thing that comes to most peoples' minds are how the students there are so up themselves. "snobbish" i quote.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I used to be extremely embarrassed about my school since I was brought up in this environment that focused heavily on being accepted into an academically recognized school more than anything. It certainly didn't help when a few individuals from private and selective school decided to gift me a few dirties after eyeing my uniform.

I mean just because you go to The King's School or James Ruse Agricultural it doesn't automatically make you a better person or deserve more respect from society. Likewise I don't think people who attend government-run comprehensive schools deserves to be looked down upon.
My primary school had a lot of talented people who ended up going to high ranking selective schools and I got a fair bit of shit for choosing my local school over a selective school. I really liked my local HS and I wanted to go with my mates - that turned out to be a great decision because many of my PS mates are still friends with me today almost 10 years later (besides, it's the principle).

I also get a fair bit of shit for going to ND over other more prestige unis (one person I knew from HS said I was "wasting my life"). But I'm happy there and that's the main thing - a school has to be right for you, not society or others (lame, but very true).

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I'm not ashamed of my school. I'm ashamed of my principal.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I am proud of my old school, it's a rank most here would scorn at and a place most would not be able to locate on a map.

But hey, it gave me a lot of opportunities(like overseas trips, public speaking/debating), I had a fantastic time, had some great teachers, met some great people...spending six years there definitely shaped me as a person, in a generally positive way. I am proud of its sense of community spirit and how we rallied through the darkest of times. Some things that well and truly transcend ATAR scores or b6s...

Used to definitely wear dem school colours with pride back in the day. (Red and black w00t)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)