Are you using a fancy quote about change at the beginning of your essay? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Are you using a fancy quote about change at the beginning of your essay or in the introduction?

I'm thinking about adding one, but do think that this will appear like I'm "trying to hard" to the marker?

The quote I have in mind is:

To change and to change for the better are two different things German Proverb

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Personally I prefer to end an essay with a fancy quote. Cos usually for essays and stuff they give you a long quote, and then go discuss it.

it's too hard to have quotes inthe beginning, unless you have a quote that really really fits in with the quesiton.

but if you have the quote at the end, you see by the end of an essay, everything sounds the same anyway and you'd feel like you're just regurgitating all those other essays you've written

<conclusion>
As someone or rather once said <quote>

"If you never change your mind, why have one?"
-Edward de Bono

"Things do not change, we change"
-Thoreau

"A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will"
-Spanish proverb

"Theonly consistent peopel are the dead"
-Huxley

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i'm hoping to be able to come up with a stunning essay on the day ... i still haven't started change yet cos i'm so fecked for modules, right now i'd just like to say i hope macq. library burns down and i wish that phones didn't exist...

and that i wish i started studying for english, like, ... not two days ago.... =( =(

and yeh, using famous quotes which relate the q' is pretty effective...

spice girl

magic mirror
Depends whether you could effectively relate change to those quotes. It won't make a difference between band 5 and 6, because a "famous quote" is definitely not a requirement for top band. It'll probably be better if you be original and come up with funky things to say.

ben

don't forget it is quite likely it won't be an essay - but a magazine article, speech or interview!

Jenn

this would only relate if it was about consequences

For ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction

- Sir Isaac Newton

Morgues

Originally posted by ben
don't forget it is quite likely it won't be an essay - but a magazine article, speech or interview!
I would be very surprised (not to mention screwed) if that section wasnt an essay

and johnson how come all the ruse people wear their jerseys at macq library?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Sally Morgan (from My Place...the ending of my essay): ...as Sally Morgan states "How deprived would we have been if we had been willing to let things stay the same"

its good to use a quote at the end, as a good one can sum up an argument really well

wat does the Ruse jersey look like? i wanna spot some Ruse'ers at the state library if i need any maths help...

Morgues

yellow/dark green
They all sit in this section of the library in uniform (jerseys)........looks scary

school-spew

i'd be a bit wary about using newton's rule because it was used in one of the sample essays from last yr provided by the board. So all of NSW probably has access to that as well

watsdoinsexy

hey how do u rite a magazine article???????? i know it sounds stupid but is there a special format to follow
please if anyone knows could u please reply it is urgent!!!!
GOODLUCK EVERYONE

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
It's just like feature article.
The goal is to grab attention then to convince.
Therefore:
Good headline
Spunky subtitle, but depends on audience. Writi one that'll suit the taste.
Opening paragraph is quite special, you'll have to think up of one about change. This should also retain attention, make an impression with a strange but true statement or something.

"Insert Essay Herre"

I know of two types of conclusoions, one that is reflective and cause the responder to think.
eg:
"We had to see this thing through," says Peter. "We were asked to speak at a synagogue in Southern California a few days after September 11. we tried to explain that sometimes it pays to shut up and listen to what other people have to say, to asy why these terrible things happen instead of simply reacting." - Gavin du Venage, 'Checks and Balances', p.14 Weekend Aust. 24/11/2001
The second type is to amuse, perhaps satirically. This could use a one line paragraph, like a punch line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)