• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Area of study: Belongings (Robert Gray and Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart.. (1 Viewer)

punky priincess

HSC
N/A
is anyone doing the new area of study belongings??

has anyone written a comparative essay about the book Things Fall Apart By Chinua Achebe and the poetry of Robert Gray????

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think all '09ers are doing Belonging.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yeah journeys as an area of study is being replaced by belonging as of 2008. so 2009 hsc students and beyond will be doing belonging, which in essence, is kind of like journeys

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
leoyh said:
yeah journeys as an area of study is being replaced by belonging as of 2008. so 2009 hsc students and beyond will be doing belonging, which in essence, is kind of like journeys
It is - I used some of the related texts from the people who gathered texts for Inner Journeys.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
It is - I used some of the related texts from the people who gathered texts for Inner Journeys.
Have you started belonging already? Notwithstanding this, there is a slight but crucial difference between texts that are suitable for inner journeys, and those that would communicate the most elevated points regarding belonging.

Inner journeys essentially is about the psychological and introspective elements of a process of reaching a higher destination ie learning. Belonging is more concerned about the tension between “perceptions and ideas of belonging” and “not belonging” (page 10 of English stage 6 prescriptions) and the interrelationship between “individual” and “a community or group” (ibid). While the individual vs. society binary still operates in inner journeys (eg the related material of Eliot’s The love song of j Alfred prufrock esp. the refrain 'the women come and go / talking of michelangelo' which represents the speaker's view of social decorum) it is framed around – as earlier mentioned – a situation of internal reflection.

Belonging then, is a more active process of self-negotiation and speculation of "own experiences ... in a variety of contexts" (syllabus).

Also to OP: things fall apart (yeats <3) and gray's poetry? That's a pretty good combination (that i previously had not heard of) :eek:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)