Argh- need to know (1 Viewer)

jessiminica

HSC
Well, our music teacher has justtakenour preferences for our electives for this year, and I'm doing a composition. There's one problem- he hasn't told us the requirements.

I know we need to produce a composition diary, two manuscripts, and two recordings of the final piece.

But. I don't really know the other limitations on a music one composition. Is the composition diary the composition portfolio that the syllabus refers to? I've heard people talking about four minutes- is that how long your whole piece's playing time has to be, or is that just themaximumlength forthe recording (ie could you submit a recording of the piece without any repeats, but in the score have several repeats with different dynamics)? Are there any instrumentation restrictions? Anything else I should know?

Thanks inadvance to anyone who answers me :)

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Is the composition diary the composition portfolio that the syllabus refers to?
Yep.

I've heard people talking about four minutes- is that how long your whole piece's playing time has to be, or is that just themaximumlength forthe recording (ie could you submit a recording of the piece without any repeats, but in the score have several repeats with different dynamics)?
Unfortunately, 4 minutes is the max length for both, I believe. You might want to check with your teacher just to make sure though.

Are there any instrumentation restrictions?
Not as far as I know, provided you can have whatever instruments you put into your score, actually playing in the recording, even if it's just the computer playing it for you (as opposed to a real person with a real instrument). Also if you're writing for instruments you don't play yourself, and/or are unfamiliar with scoring them, just make sure you know the range that the instrument has (highest to lowest note it can play; what clef to use) and any extra scoring conventions that go along with it.

Thanks inadvance to anyone who answers me :)
No prob :) I'm happy to answer other questions; I did two compositions for my music 1 HSC last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)