Art Essay Help Needed!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

nogga

HSC
got this essay due on thursday and its soo hard. the question is:

Explain ways in which contemporary art has allowed for greater involvement by the audience.

im not sure what it means. im thinking that is got something to with how contempary evolves over time it incorperates more technologies and this is how the audience can get involved more.

am i heading along the right track or am i completely wrong lol

all help would be great :)

p.s how is everyones major work going???

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
that sounds pretty right to me, id also talk about how art dosnt really have to be a 'thing' anymore, that lots of contemporary artists are doing performance art, where they ARE the art works. theres this abc video on it, ask ur teacher, they probly have it.

LinzyHodge

HSC
I would point out that contempory art often allows the audience to make up their own meaning to an artwork and therefore a greater involvement (rather then the artist presenting their exact meaning to an audience as in previous times.)

Hope that helps even a little.

pezdog

HSC
Imo....you could probably say something about preformance art and how it incorporates the audience into the artwork instead of them just looking at a work like in previous era's

I could be wrong but, my art teacher is a dud lol

jessyy

HSC
i dont think it means the physical involvement, but more so what linzyhodge said.
how the audience can make their own interpretation of the artworks.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i agree with what people have been saying, also talk about the whole post modern movement and how that's had a huge impact on interpretations these days, and also how the art is often a reflection of contemporary issues so the audience is often confronted with a lot of issues that are very relevant to their world.
there's heaps you can crap on about, it's quite easy once you get started
=]

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
this isnt too bad of a question really.

think about some of the new art practises that artists such as rachel whiteread, jeeny holtzer and kristof wodiszko are working in with 'taking art outside of the gallery'.

they are putting their artworks in outside public spaces to allow the audience to interact furthur and become part of the art itself.....

just a thought.

good luck

M Clarkson

HSC
N/A
When you talk about the audience it means: what kind of people are viewing the artwork. For example, if the artwork is shown in a gallery, you could assume that the audience has a degree of education and interest in art,

BUT if the artwork is shown in a public place, like a park for example, the audience is more diverse, and will include people who would not necessarily walk into an art gallery.

IF on the other hand the artwork is exhibited in a really isolated place that is very difficult to get to, or the artwork is transitory, (for example, is sculpted in sand and disappears when the tide comes in) then the audience will be different again. Ask yourself the question, how do I come to hear about these kind of artworks? - you know they exist because they have been recorded on film or video. So the audience is different again because they will have had to read the art book, or see the art movie to know about the art.

livlah

Epic Fail.
HSC
here is a list of points you could include in your essay.
*how art is recieved by an audience in the context of a typical gallery space
*how the audience recieves artworks differently OUTSIDE of the context of a typical gallery space
*the gap between 'regular people' and 'art world' people is closing, why? (this is probably good to get some of your "audience" and "world" points in under the conceptual frame work, and if you synthesise it well it will boost your mark significantly)
*talk about jenny holzer and other large scale public installation artists, like andy goldsworthy (he is a little less accesible than jenny holzer as his works are usually made on the beach or in a forest, as opposed to in the middle of las vegas or new york)
*you could say that contemporary art is LESS accesible to its audiences, because the ideas and themes portrayed are so complex and layered when compared to traditional art.
*you could say the complete opposite of that, and say that contemporary artworks deal with issues relevant to wider audiences, such as...divorce, racism, depression, drug use, the immigrant experience, homosexuality, abuse, homelessness, oppression...and other horrible depressing things.
*technology is also a big deal, so yeah, you are on the right track with that, but i wouldnt make that your only point, its a big factor, but not the only one.

i had a few other points on that, but really that is all i can remember at the moment..
i did my v.a trial yesterday, the 8 mark question was kind of similar..i think it was "how does technology effect the way an audience can experience an artwork"...or something to that effect..

anywho, good luck.

rawdevil1992

HSC
Baby talk about Bill Henson
his photos allow audience interaction
look him up
xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)