Art history and theory (1 Viewer)

MrSlav

HSC
Can someone please tell me their opinion on this unit, is it enjoyable, hard etc. Also, is it more useful to have done the USYD course or the UNSW art theory dedicated course when looking for a job? Thanks

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
Job as what?

Not that i'm being demeaning, I do study classics, but Jesus, art history = nothing.

You realise it isn't actually visual arts? ie drawing things?

HSC
Art history only allows you to get a job as a teacher of art history.

It's almost the same with sociology :(

But srsly, although it's quite difficult to get a job where your art history skills would be used directly, the government and businesses do hire people with impractical arts degrees. It's not so much about the knowledge you gain from your arts major, but the creativity, communication skills, critical thinking skills you develop.

MrSlav

HSC
yeh i was thinking it would be the best course to do if wanting to work in a gallery and ultimately be curator.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
yea then you could do a masters of museum studies (or diploma or graduate certificate, whichever you prefer) that would set you up for that sort of career

niteshade1312

HSC
I am technically an Art Hist Major (well Film Studies) and I have absolutely loved the past 3 years. Can't really speak too much for the Art Hist side, but the courses cover a lot of history, but if you are looking for theory, then perhaps not the right major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)