Art History (1 Viewer)

moderngirl

HSC
Does anyone here take art history? I think its ridiculous to hold lectures for art in eastern avenue, there is just far too many people. Hmm if i wanted to complain where could i complain about this ?

daniL

HSC
Yes, I do. I am angry that the lectures are on late in the afternoon. There are so many students so why don't they put it on earlier? Is anyone who did AH last semester not liking this semester? :(

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
i hate how there's no repeats of the lectures at more convenient times. because of that i have a five hour gap to kill on mondays & a four hour gap on tuesdays. and i'm stuck going home in the dark and suffocating on the train like sad sardine. and that STUPID flickering light in the lower left of eastern avenue. and how the lecturers insist on pronouncing everything in overly french accents. and how freaking cezanne and picasso get their entire lifetimes to think up & understand all their crazy complicated arto ideas and i get a couple of hours at most, AND THEN the freaking tutor hasn't even done the tute reading so i can't even clarify what drugs they were on to come up with such painfully complicated understandings. where do we complain again?

moderngirl

HSC
god don't even get me started. I definately think last semester was better and i don't think Julian is a good lecturer either. The other day i was sitting near Jeffro (one of the tutors) and i could hear him murmur about how the lecturer wasnt explaining the main concept and then he got bored and started playing hang man with the tutor next to him, it was funny.So you know the lecture is crap when even the tutor gets bored.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
i can't drop the subject... i need it for film studies.
+, i don't hate the art, i just hate aspects of the way it's made available to us at usyd. maybe it's better in 2nd and 3rd year? like they always say.
+, this isn't some pep rally, you know, i can whine all i want to whine. if i dropped out of everything i didn't like i'd probably still be back in third grade somewhere, hating long division.

moderngirl

HSC
its a pre requisite for second year, and i am entitled to whinging.

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Art History sucks balls.

last semester was much better. now all the lecturer does is drone on and on and really, i cant be fucked going.

katie, im taking your notes............(and your body)

cuivienen

HSC
I agree with everything said here...It's a shame that this semester isn't as remoteley interesting as last semester (and modern art is just as fascinating to learn about)...Did anyone here go to the lecture on Pop Art this week? I felt like slapping Julian when he said he wouldn't be giving us set images in preparation for the slide test! I mean, its the least he could do this semster...I also think his lecturing style needs a lot of work...He seems more interested in making his voice sound good and using large words which nobody cares for...I reckon the tutors would have been much better at giving some of the lectures (my tutor actually makes much more sense than Julian ever will)

Anywho, I hope next year's art history courses will be great *fingers crossed*

Cicciolina

HSC
I thought it was hilarious how he had his CIA theory about Jackson Pollock! Even my tutor said not to worry about that, that it's just Julian with a crazy idea.

Anyway, I'm really farked for this essay.

moderngirl

HSC
Haha i zone out a lot in the lectures, maybe i shouldn't sit so far back. What was Julian's conspiracy theory on the CIA about? was that the lecture on the NY school cause i skipped that one.

Well i'm gonna cram and try to get this essay over and done with in one day. And then i have to start cramming for art history and government final exams which happen to be in a little under two weeks time and a day apart.

Cicciolina

HSC
It was about how the CIA funded Jackson Pollock's paintings to be exhibited around the world so that America could culturally take over the world. Everyone was just like wtf!?!?

Which essay question are you doing? I haven't started yet. Whoops. Fisher ran out of the books I needed, I'm guessing people would have taken them out before the due date.

This is the first time I'm doing art history - so I'm not really sure how slide tests and all work, but I thought I could just sit at home with all my books out and open and another internet browser open as I'm doing the slide test.... or can I not do this?

cuivienen

HSC
I did question 2 (the Cubism one)...That was the only one which made some sort of sense to me...

With the slide test...Yes you can sit at home on your CPU and look at your notes as you type out your answers...But there is one disadvantage to doing this - the time...You get exactly 15 minutes for each pair of works shown...So if you spend your time flipping through notes, it may not be such a good idea...But if you want to, thats up to you ;)

Last semester, I went into the lecture theatre to do the slide test, and Louise (the lecturer last semester, who is fabulous by the way) let everyone look at their notes if they wanted to...So either way it doesn't matter...But just remember the time...there isn't much of it!

Last edited:

moderngirl

HSC
I did the cubism one too, except found it quite challenging.

I agree with cuivienen with the fact that even if you look at books you are limited time wise.

Ah i have a $20 library fine now thanks to all my research for essays. I'll admit i'm a book hog mainly cause i need books and then can't be bothered returning them just in case i can't get the book again.

hahah that CIA thing is kinda wacked out. That was the lecture i skipped. The other day i was watching Mona Lisa Smile (procrastination for essay) and that painting is featured in there and i actually recognised it. hehehe its nice to watch a film now and recognise paintings, brings out whole other depth to some films.

tatu

HSC
slide test

o mg.......someone just told me that Julian is not going to put the list of the images on WebCT......

that sucks.....i'm gonna be dead......that would so dam hard for us....

i like last sem much better

cuivienen

HSC
Yes...I so don't want to say what I feel about Julian at the moment...I think this forum is G rated...

He said that the slide test is going to be "easier" than past years, so people should stop complaining about the fact that there is no set of 30 images to study...But still, we are going to be tested on our ability to compare/contrast two images based on their ideas/meaning...So we have to have some sort of idea about what the image is meant to evoke...

Cicciolina

HSC
Hmmmm I haven't done this before... like I said before so I'm sounding like a broken record whoops.

Would it be useful to be really geeky and do a little summary of all the movements? Or... is that going too far adn I should I just rely on... notes?

cuivienen

HSC
I think that would be useful. I'm going to jot down a few dot points about each movement and the basic idea/manifesto of each changing avant garde. I think that way you may have some memory joggers when you see a work from say the Futurist movement and you immediently think of Marinetti, speed and the mechanisation of the body. I think It could help you with your response.

Apparently the test is supposed to be easier than past years, and just a thought, Julian is said to prefer the Dada movement...So brace yourself for some works associated with Dadaism *shudder*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)