Art History (1 Viewer)

Cicciolina

HSC
Ergh I hate Dadaism. I'm sure I'm going to get shot down, but I think it was such a wank!

cuivienen

HSC
*lol* Best of luck for the test tomorrow...And to everyone here who does Art History :)

cuivienen

HSC
What did everyone think of the test? I thought two of the pairs were evil, but the rest was ok I guess...Glad to get it over and done with...And the fact that Julian slipped in a Jeff Koons work (which was discussed in the last lecture) was quite mean for those who didn't attend...

Cicciolina

HSC
Well I guess he was right when he said it was a good test for those people who actually turned up to lectures! I can be happy for being a geek and going to the majority - didn't go to Fauves so wasn't too sure about that one.

I thought it was alright - Cubism featured twice. Which pairs didn't you like Cuivienen?

cuivienen

HSC
I didn't like the Leger/Duchamp, and the Picasso/Matisse...The question for the Futurist/Cubist experimentation didn't really help in constructing an agree/disagree response, and the Picasso/Matisse question was one you had to think about for 5 minutes until it made some sort of sense...(that the question may have been referring to the depiction of the form/subject in both works)

Also, it seemed that they paired up two questions to relate to the body/figure and the other two simply dealt with the idea of "living through the image" (beside the Heartfield "Ubermensch" which related to Nietsche's "Superman")...I thought that was an interesting way of testing our ability to talk about (to an extent) similar works, but of course in reference to the appropriate avant garde...I thought it was a fair test though, moreso than last semester...It could have been worse ;)

And yes Cubism was there twice...I thought that was great! :)

Last edited:

Cicciolina

HSC
At least Dada wasn't featured predominantly! It was pretty subjective. I don't think I did too well though because I did a slight freak out and just typed whatever I knew about Leger/Duchamp/Picasso/etc and their respective movments and of course the actual work - one paragraph per work, and then ended the question with a token paragraph where I brought the two works together :S

I kinda liked how he put the Jeff Koons work in. A nice reward for people who actually turn up to lectures. I've only missed one lecture ever, the little nerd I am :blush:

moderngirl

HSC
I ended up rushing my notes tuesday morning cause i had another exam the day before. Those last two pairs of images were challenging. I had no idea about the Hitler image or what formalism was.

Hey for web ct, if you save your answers after the time has elapsed does that still count because i forgot to save it as i was going along. It wasnt' until time finished i clicked save and then submit.

I hope it did, i know a girl last semester who did the online exam and for some reason it didnt go through so she had to do another slide test at the beginning of this semester

Cicciolina

HSC
I was a bit stuck with the Hitler one as well - German expressionism and using it as a political device and all that stuff I guess, but I just pointed out the absolute obvious.

I think it would have been fine. When my time was up, I was in the middle of a word and tried finishing it and I could still keep on typing but it didn't save anything after 20mins. I assume that it would automatically save when the twenty minutes was up.

I heard something about the missing slide tests last semester. The people I heard it from said they had just got an average or an estimation or something?

How/when do we find out our slide test marks? And what about our essay?

daniL

HSC
Wasn't the Hitler one (Adolf - der Übermensch), Dada? Heartfield was a Dadaist and not a German Expressionist despite the fact that he was German. Anyway, I thought the slide test was okay. I didn't like the last pair of slides though, and I didn't like the Matisse one. I wondered what people who didn't go to Monday's lecture would have thought of the Koons work.

Are people doing art history next semester? Despite how dodgy this semester was, I think I'm going to major in it. I've chosen subjects which don't have Julian as a lecturer. He was my tutor and I swear I didn't learn anything. I can't wait to do the unit feedback (by the way, does anyone know when that will be? It was online last semester).

I'm wondering about when we get our essays back as well. It was so long before we got last semesters back.

s.m.i.t.h

HSC
is it better to have taken art history 1001 before taking art history 1002?

can anyone tell me what both are like?

cuivienen

HSC
daniL said:
Wasn't the Hitler one (Adolf - der Übermensch), Dada? Heartfield was a Dadaist and not a German Expressionist despite the fact that he was German. Anyway, I thought the slide test was okay. I didn't like the last pair of slides though, and I didn't like the Matisse one. I wondered what people who didn't go to Monday's lecture would have thought of the Koons work.

Are people doing art history next semester? Despite how dodgy this semester was, I think I'm going to major in it. I've chosen subjects which don't have Julian as a lecturer. He was my tutor and I swear I didn't learn anything. I can't wait to do the unit feedback (by the way, does anyone know when that will be? It was online last semester).

I'm wondering about when we get our essays back as well. It was so long before we got last semesters back.
Yeah it is a Dadaist work...I'm doing Art History next semester, and am also avoiding any course having to do with Julian...Enduring a semester this year was more than I could bear. I am also anticipating the unit feedback form *twiddles fingers* I hope we get to complete one for this unit...I'd definitely have a lot to say!

is it better to have taken art history 1001 before taking art history 1002?

can anyone tell me what both are like?
First semster for me was a blast...I loved every second of it...Lousie Marshall (the lecturer) was fabulous, and the course had great structure. However, I'm afraid I can't say the same for the second semester course...It seemed like the lecuturer/co-ordinator (Julian Pefanis) was quite apathetic about the whole course, and his lectures were quite difficult to follow...I found it hard to stay awake in some of the lectures (especially in the ones with that guy who turned the lights off)...It was such a shame, since Modern Art is very interesting...Having said that, I'm sure others can offer you a better/different opinion ;)

Cicciolina

HSC
daniL said:

Whoops :headbang: Well at least I know where I've gone wrong now!
This is the first time I've done art history at uni, so I need to do the junior semester one subject next year.

Cicciolina

HSC
cuivienen said:
I found it hard to stay awake in some of the lectures (especially in the ones with that guy who turned the lights off)...
I had the same problem when the lights were switched off! Especially at such late lectures, my brain was telling me it was time to go to sleep.

moderngirl

HSC
yeh i want to major in art history as well. Is anyone thinking of doing the film unit? it looks quite interesting since you watch Charlie Chaplin. Weimar Republic Germany films.

Damm i didn't know that Hitler one was dada, i googled it and kinda got the idea that it was anti-hitler, just to be sure.

And about Julian's lectures, they're rather discombombulating (a word he used in the last lecture as well). I mean he's on the same planet as Baudrillard but if i wanted to learn about art in fancy academia way, i could pick up an art textbook. It is a shame since modern art is so interesting.

speaking of Modern art reminder there is a camille pissaro impressionist exhibition coming soon to the AGNSW. Next year there's also an exhibition featuring the self portraits of renowned artists. I can't wait ! Is it just me or does the NGV and other melbourne musuems have better exhibitions than sydney ?

Cicciolina

HSC
For our art history major, do the subjects we choose have to make some sort of cohesive sense (I mean our senior subjects) and complement each other... or can they just be whatever we find interesting? I'll be having to do ARHT1001 next year anyway because I haven't done it yet.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but would they email us to tell us how we went in our slide test and essay?

cuivienen

HSC
I mean he's on the same planet as Baudrillard but if i wanted to learn about art in fancy academia way, i could pick up an art textbook. It is a shame since modern art is so interesting.
Couldn't agree more :) And I'm also looking forward to the Pissaro exhibition as well!

As for the slide test results and the essay...Last semester they sent us an email to notify that the essays were ready to be picked up...But with the slide test, the marks were posted outside a notice board by SID...

moderngirl

HSC
With the slidetest the marks were also up in the quizzes section of Web Ct.

daniL

HSC
ember said:
I just went online tonight and my slide test marks were up on webct! So much quicker than last semester. Hope everyone went well. Oh, and does anyone know whether the mark on webct is our overall mark like last semester, or whether this is just the result for the slide test?
Did you do your slide test online? How come yours are back? I just checked and mine aren't up yet.

Has anyone heard about this subject - ARHT2652 - From Silent to Sound Cinema?
http://edutech.arts.usyd.edu.au/Artsonline/v2_1_UOST/dsp_UoST3.cfm?uid=175396&Menu=Public I know moderngirl you said you wanted to do it. I would like to do it too, but doing a 4000 word presentation is a bit daunting, and I don't think I would go very well in an assessment like that.

Someone asked about doing 1001 before 1002 - if you can do 1001 before 1002, I would highly recommend doing so. It kind of follows chronological order (well, based on movements and so on), and if you do 1002, and then go back and do 1001, it might be a bit confusing. You can obviously do it in the order you wish, but that's what I would suggest. Also, if you become really bored with 1002, you might not want to go back and do 1001 (because 1001, as others have said, was great, but 1002 was boring).

Cicciolina

HSC
I haven't got mine yet, but I'm at the bottem of the alphabet if that has anything to do with it :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)