art or not? (1 Viewer)

do you think graffiti is art or vandalism?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
tell me what you think of graffiti tags, throw-ups and piece's...
straight vandalism or art?
imo its art...unless its 'turf' tags
my bad.....yes means yes its art.....no means no, its vandalism
can the mod change that please?
thanks

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Well I dont exactly know the difference between a tag, throw up and pieces when I see one, but what is most important to me is location location location

Even if it's hell ugly or stunning, I don't want it somewhere where it shouldn't be... Like on the side of functioning trains, people's fences, etc...

I was on a train when some guy kept the door jammed open and tagged the train I guess... He was fkn inconsiderate seeing as I had to breathe in his bloody paint fumes, and cop a hurricane inside the train carriage... Not to mention that Cityrail will be using taxpayers money to remove his dirty pawprints... (therefore vandalism)

I also watched an online clip of some kid in Israel or some shit (I forget), who pressed the emergency button in the train, stopped the train from moving, passengers couldnt get in or out, and started spraying on the exterior of the carriage... Extremely stupid - that I'd blankly point out is vandalism...

Art... is when the work is actually legal... Like doing it for some community mural crap, or they give you a blank wall to decorate...

I just hate it when there's crap work everywhere and it just happens to be in my field of vision

360flip

HSC
N/A
if you realise that graffiti is a way of life for some people others see it as vandalism! for me its art! even the toy ass bombings brings a smile to my face how these people are bringing train carriages a nicer decoration that the old cruel crappy grey colour!

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
i got my train one morning to find a piece on the side of a tangara.....it was beautiful....ok, some might think....'oh, these vandals making us pay to remove their dirty work!'
well.....this piece was truly graffiti art....even the guard on the station held the train up for a few seconds just to take a few pictures of them...we need more of those types of graffiti around.....

BlackDragon

HSC
you asked "do you think graffiti is art or vandalism?" and the possible answers are yes or no. that doesn't even make sense. yes or no to vandalism or yes or no to art?! which are we answering?

pottsy44

HSC
BlackDragon said:
you asked "do you think graffiti is art or vandalism?" and the possible answers are yes or no. that doesn't even make sense. yes or no to vandalism or yes or no to art?! which are we answering?
exactly my thought :???

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
*AnT* said:
my bad.....yes means yes its art.....no means no, its vandalism
can the mod change that please?
thanks
i already said this....
so replace the poll question with the actual thread title.....

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i think its only art if its very well done and it doesnt look like someone's just gone and sprayed the wall for a cheap thrill, ie some effort and time had to go into it... and it cant be ugly or have tags all over it... it should actually be a picture of some description. otherwise its vandalism.

BlackDragon

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i think its only art if its very well done and it doesnt look like someone's just gone and sprayed the wall for a cheap thrill, ie some effort and time had to go into it... and it cant be ugly or have tags all over it... it should actually be a picture of some description. otherwise its vandalism.
i agree. just disgusting tags everywhere makes everything look ugly.

PterodactylFace

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
So, as long as, in your opinion, it looks good it's art, but if you don't like the work then it's vandalism? Wow, you should tell the police or something about this, they'll probably want you on the force so they know which is which.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
PterodactylFace said:
So, as long as, in your opinion, it looks good it's art, but if you don't like the work then it's vandalism? Wow, you should tell the police or something about this, they'll probably want you on the force so they know which is which.
um, no. you misinterpreted my post. i only meant that if it's not a picture, then in my opinion, yes, it is vandalism. and by 'time and effort' i dont mean it has to look all pretty, it just has to look as though someone spent some time making it, not just scribbled some crap on a train. by 'ugly' im talking about that shitty stuff you see all over fences and random walls. art is something completely different altogether. please dont put words in my mouth that i didnt say.

PterodactylFace

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
um, no. you misinterpreted my post. i only meant that if it's not a picture, then in my opinion, yes, it is vandalism. and by 'time and effort' i dont mean it has to look all pretty, it just has to look as though someone spent some time making it, not just scribbled some crap on a train. by 'ugly' im talking about that shitty stuff you see all over fences and random walls. art is something completely different altogether. please dont put words in my mouth that i didnt say.
Some time making it? How long? Does that mean if you destroy a shop front window but it takes you a while that becomes art? Oh, wait, it just has to look like they spent a long time doing it. Also, what is art?

I think, rather than me misinterpreting your posts, you have not realised my point. You're basing this purely on your own subjective opinions on what is "vandalism" and what is "art". What makes tags ("shitty stuff you see all over fences and random walls" - I assume this is what you were referring to) any less an art form than pieces? It is like saying, for example, abstract expressionism is not art but expressionism is. If tags are vandalism then why wouldn't pieces be? On the same note, why wouldn't tags be art if pieces were?

lengy

HSC
I reckon you should all be round up, chained and forced to clean up the shit do. Disgusting.

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
lengy said:
I reckon you should all be round up, chained and forced to clean up the shit do. Disgusting.
us?!?
i think you mean they......

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Whether its artistic or not, it is always vandalism (unless people are actually asked to do it by the council or something).

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
PterodactylFace said:
Some time making it? How long? Does that mean if you destroy a shop front window but it takes you a while that becomes art? Oh, wait, it just has to look like they spent a long time doing it. Also, what is art?

I think, rather than me misinterpreting your posts, you have not realised my point. You're basing this purely on your own subjective opinions on what is "vandalism" and what is "art". What makes tags ("shitty stuff you see all over fences and random walls" - I assume this is what you were referring to) any less an art form than pieces? It is like saying, for example, abstract expressionism is not art but expressionism is. If tags are vandalism then why wouldn't pieces be? On the same note, why wouldn't tags be art if pieces were?
sigh.... well, the thread was asking for our opinions wasn't it? that's pretty much my opinion! sorry if you don't like it. for goodness sake, of course if someone destroys property its obviously vandalism no matter how long it takes, im not stupid. im not going to get into a philosophical argument with you over what art is, geez. but there is a distinct difference between art and vandalism in the intentions of the composer - in my opinion tags are not art because more often than not the people doing it didnt intend to make any sort of artistic statement. 'pieces' are art, i reckon, because the intention to make it was there. and yes, i think that to make art it takes effort and time.

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
nearly all famous street artists started tagging around town...
eg. banksy, futura, stash, Zephyr, goldie, etc
the works of some of these people are absolutely amazing in my opinion...
this is a forum so anyone can speak their mind....

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
are you trying to be sarcastic or not?
if your not being sarcastic then, yes.
they are famous within the street scene...

No Problems

HSC
its straight out art; of course its a subjective concept that can never be answered unanimously, however for me, i realise that the people who truly value it as a way of life do make a fantastic contribution to the crappy bleak corporate landscape around us. that being said, toy shit fucks me off the wall because its just wasting money space and time.
in terms of location, anything public property is free game, anything private should be left alone, with the exception of profitable shops (waa waa how do we determine whats profitable by looking at it? stfu i said its subjective)
and remember, if you have permission to do it, it ain't graffiti.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)