Art & Photography? (1 Viewer)

ITimber

HSC
If I do art as a HSC subject and majored in photography, would i still have to learn about famous artists, history of art and art in general?

Also is Art a Catergory A or B Subject?

Thanks

backstreet51

definitely maybe.
HSC
Art is category A.

I'm dumb, I'm not sure if I understand your first question, are you talking about knowledge for the exam...?

ITimber

HSC
backstreet51 said:
Art is category A.

I'm dumb, I'm not sure if I understand your first question, are you talking about knowledge for the exam...?
What I mean is...

If I was to choose art as a subject but wanted to focus on photography and my major project was photography, Would I then have to learn about famous artists and artistic techniques or would I simply learn about photography, famous photographers and photographic techniques?

Thanks

goosiegoo

HSC
Well, for starters, photography is art (well, not all photography is - but the photography you'll be doing will have to be art) so when you say will i have to learn about famous artists and artistic techniques... do you mean traditional art, as in painting, drawing, scultpure etc?

Your body of work/practical and theory are completely seperate, so whatever you do in your body of work doesn't affect what you do in theory (unless you choose to use other artists that have influenced you or that you're appropriating in your theory work). So your whole class will probably study the same theory, which will probably being on art from all sorts of medias, styles and time periods as your case studies.

If you want to do independant study of photographers then feel free to, but i'd strongly recommend you didn't do purely photography study for the hsc exam because there's no saying there will be a question that is photography based, as the questions should usually be answered using a wide range of art.

I hope that helps...

k.middlebrook

HSC
ITimber said:
What I mean is...

If I was to choose art as a subject but wanted to focus on photography and my major project was photography, Would I then have to learn about famous artists and artistic techniques or would I simply learn about photography, famous photographers and photographic techniques?

Thanks
It is two different subjects, the still would learn the same as the rest of the class, but the only problem is if you do photography u cant do it as your major in art which suckes for people like me who are really great at photograph but choose it as a subject and then was not aloud to leave it

-hispanic-

HSC
For my major work i used photography as my medium however for the exam you still need to know the artist techniques for secI of the exam. In secII though it is possible to use three artists that use photography in their work, i was going to use tracey moffatt, cindy sherman and others and my teacher said that would be fine because you can adapt them to the question just like you would a painter...in the past exam papers they have questions like how does the artist draw the audience into the artworld..so t would be easy...you should just study peoples work you enjoy and who you can write easily about cos you need to write at least 4 pages for the essay in secII and you want to beable to write well in it!! Hmm anyhoo i better go cos n study this stuff for myself lol cos my art exam is next week!! Hope u sort it alll out buddy.. cyaaaa

goosiegoo

HSC
k.middlebrook said:
It is two different subjects, the still would learn the same as the rest of the class, but the only problem is if you do photography u cant do it as your major in art which suckes for people like me who are really great at photograph but choose it as a subject and then was not aloud to leave it
You can still do photography in art for your body of work if you choose the subject photography... you just can't use the photographs you took in photography in your art BOW or vice versa. I don't know who told you that...

activeflush

HSC
ITimber said:
If I do art as a HSC subject and majored in photography, would i still have to learn about famous artists, history of art and art in general?
In short, yes.

I did photography for my major work this year but you still have to learn the theory that the rest of your class learns and you will be assesed on that knowledge in school exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)