Art Theory revision for HSC (1 Viewer)

mittens

HSC
cool guys! sounds like ur all set but u gotta remember that section 1 has all 3 areas of study! ur gonna need to know how to apply yourself to the conceptual framework, the frames and artists practise! you never know which will be worth 5 marks, which will be worth 8 and which will be worth 12 marks... so you'll need to have your fair share in understanding each of them!

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
frazzle said:
where would I find past papers etc? we get all these past questions for english and basically every other subject, but never anything for art!

if you have past essay questions post them up?

cheers!
I think all the art who do art should post their notes up as much as they could, I mean there are not many BOS resources for art either =/

Sorry that I cannot help you guys as I'm yr 12 2005. who is also thinking for dropping art. :|
However, good luck guys!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Don't drop art,
It's not that hard... you can get good marks if you do well....and most importantly..
IT's DIFFERENT!
It's the only subject that's anything much DIFFERENT to the others.

frazzle

HSC
(^o^) said:
I think all the art who do art should post their notes up as much as they could, I mean there are not many BOS resources for art either =/

Sorry that I cannot help you guys as I'm yr 12 2005. who is also thinking for dropping art. :|
However, good luck guys!
DON'T DROP IT!
it's the subject that kept me sane when all the maths was killing me... even though I had 3 majorworks to do. if you like it you will do well in it! and the point is, it will save you from insanity!

so who's started studying for theory? i'm planning to get all this maths/eng out of the way next week and then use the last week to cram for it. sounds like a plan!

my art teacher was such a fudge nuckel!!
he made us do 11 case studys 1000words each so i have all these notes on shit, because they are only 1000 words theres nothing in them....arrr he was such an IDIOT
i hate all your city people!!! we should get scalled up because our teachers are so fucked in the head
anyways
for someone like me who has basically got nothing! what should i look at to prepare for the exam, i mean i get 10\10 for the case studies but he is an indiot, i didn't even answer his questions..hmm..i hate him!
any help?

thanks

Caboodles

Not-That-Bright said:
you guys are crazy...as if study for art =/
lol my teacher made us do so many case studies in order to have enough information for the exams, not to mention two folders fulla sheets *cries*
I have one practice exam regarding art, so if anyone wants some practice questions I've got heapsa em!:)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i just revised a few cast studies, and tried to lear as much as i could about some of my favourite artists, so i could use their works in different contexts. then do as many pracice questions as you can -- the first section is easy, cos you can just do a few questions here and there without committing yourself to a full paper's worth of study in one go... and things like mindmaps/essay plans help for section 2.

mittens

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I find the problem with art is... the 1-2 mark questions sound the same as the 20 mark essays... They all ask such broad things =/
since when where there 1-2 mark questions? lol u got screwed! not all of them ask reeli broad questions... but who got that trial paper with the imagination question the buddah/darth vader sculptures and the other 1... that was such a gay exam and i basically argued my way thru it saying how shoddy the examples were for such poor questions! hah take that board of studies! but i got the lowst marks iv eva recieved 4 it... it was so gay... so yeah if u reeli dun kno wot to study just review this thread or some others here cause ppl have been writing it down... dun waste ur time on stuff u dun care about either like artists and gay examples... do examination questions from section two... use 5 artists and 4 of each artist's artworks to stabalise ur argument and the more u do that the more chance u have of getting 100% cause seriously art is a cinch if u put in the yards...

gem_max

HSC
In the free choice essay bit theres always one or two topics based around the presence of technology in art... in mediums, techniques or subjects etc. Thats what i chose to study and got 92 so if anyone doesnt know what to study at the last minute then this may help. Goodluck!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yea i always study technology/art...
they usually talk about that... or how society has changed...
They talk about random bullshit anyway, art seems to mainly be an open mind, ability to communicate ideas & general knowledge... with a few case studies i spose.

miffytoki

HSC
structural frame is the way to go for me :)

for the first section just mention the frame or agency their refering to and try and use lotsa general knowlegde (we got history lessons from our art teacher cos our history knowledge sucked)

how good would it be if we could go into the exam and instead of writing a whole heap of babbled bull twadle be given a mac with photoshop and do a work realtibng to a question
it would be so much easier
i mean we are art students hehe we only know who to write from doing advanced english
oh well i am just going to shit on about the change in art from cavemen to post modernists thatll be fun and easy to ramble about

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The thing is, i suck at english, but kick ass at art.
They're different skills, if you use your advanced english skills in art you won't do AS good as if you applied 'art skills', which is basically just bsing for a while.

edit: But i'm DEFINATELY for a photoshop test lol, or u kno... a painting/drawing thing... u should get to choose ur medium etc. I dun see why art needs a theoretical componant other than our art diaries.

mittens

HSC
guys! c'mon its not that hard! question one has 3 parts to it... it always has and it always will! those three will visit all 3 areas of study... u need to know how to write based on the conceptual frame, the original frames 'structural, subjective, cultural and postmodern' come under this... then there's artists practise... you know which one's which cause it will ask specifically about something to do with that particular area! yes its possible to answer these questions on any of those three areas but unless u answer it on that specific area it asks for you're going to loose marks dramatically!

for example "the practise of artists is affected by the world in which they live" discuss this statement with reference to either man ray or tracy moffat." -refers to the conceptual frame... note the words: 'practise', 'artist' and 'world'. where as "how do artists express an individual point of view in artmaking? explore this question with reference to >> insert ppl here<<..." refers to artists practise as it states with key words... u just gotta look and determine it...

section two u can choose from 9 essays, each one will look into a particular area... if ur strong in say 'artists practice' then stick to the questions under that heading and use your case studies to back up your argument! its all about who can stabalise their argument! if you dont have enough case studies to back it up then u loose out! trust me! so too in that conceptual frame and in the other 'frames' section. best wishes guys! yes advanced english helps but its not absolutely necessary! i've totally bombed out in english in these tests but art is strong cause i know my artists... go 4 it! and i hope u guys have it all worked out now! cheers

-mittens

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
If you happen to do postmodernism in extension english then you're all set for this exam cos you'll already have a good understanding of postmodern paradigms and the ways in which these affect the art world....there's ALWAYS a postmodern essay question and if you know your artists then it's all good. Like lots of people have said, pick an area that you feel strong in, study hard, and don't even bother reading all the essay questions. Just focus on the ones you have prepared for.

Oh, and I'm probably going to get knocked for this, but...I like art theory! *runs away quickly*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)