Arthur Miller, RIP. (1 Viewer)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
So as most of you may have already heard, Arthur Miller, arguably one of the greatest playwrights of our time, has died today of heart problems. As drama students, I thought it might be an idea to set up just a small thread in order to honour him and maybe discuss a bit of his work.

I guess I'll start. The Crucible is easily my favourite play, not only for the play itself and the simplicity of the story and style but also for the political reasoning behind the play itself. The concept of McCarthyism, and the Communist witch hunts in the US at this point.

Whats your favourite Miller play? Why? Maybe we can start some discussion of some real drama!

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
I studied the Crucible at the beginning of last year and absolutely loved every last minute of it. Reading something written as well as that gave me shivers. Brilliance.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
RIP Arthur Miller

The Crucible is undoubtedly one of the best plays ever written. The language, concept, themes, and characters are inextricably linked to develop such an awesome play which holds truth and meaning behind the story. We studied it in year 11 for ee1, and I remember absolutely HATING Abigail and getting so frustrated at the events, but loving every minute of it. It gave me shivers too! The language and concepts of his other plays reinforce that Miller was one of the greatest playwrights.

I was so shocked to hear of his death! But I am sure he will always be remembered. He was one of the most famous dissenting voices of all time. People can look up to his strength, determination and know that anything is possible, as long as you stick to your guns.

May he rest in peace.

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
grk_styl said:
and I remember absolutely HATING Abigail and getting so frustrated at the events, but loving every minute of it. It gave me shivers too!
We studied it in Advanced last year (unit: The Power of Language), and I was absolutely amazed by Abigail's character. I hated her so, so, so much, that I wanted to scream nasty things and rip the thing to shreads, but at the same time you could just step back and say "wow, she was so well written"
it takes one mighty powerful fictional character to do that to me. hell, most people in real life don't evoke that kind of responce. If i could play one role for a performance, I'd gladly die for the talent to play her.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Such a fantastic satirical social commentator, truely a tragic loss.

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
My last name is infact 'Miller' weird. I haven't read The Crucible or Death of a Salesman unfortunately. But I have heard of them. I shall attempt to find a copy.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Indeed a unique writer in his own league, arguably the greatest modern day playwright, with Pinter challenging close behind. I own his two most famous plays that have been discussed in this thread, The Death of a Salesman and The Crucible.

Although old, it is a pity that literature and theatre have lost one of their greatest voices.

Vale Arthur Miller.
1915-2005

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)