articles/paper suggestions (1 Viewer)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
As you guys have just finished the ecos exam, I'm just wondering what sorts of articles/columns and stuff you read for it to keep yourself updated, and which ones you'd recommend. I'm only just starting the yr 12.
Thanx

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
Personally I think the financial review is good.
Gittins in the SMH is also quite informative.
I get The Economist every week, mostly for debating, but that kept me up to date with trade bloc/protectioni/global economy stuff and provides a diff perspective that can be handy.
So for me it was the financial review, gittins and the economist but that's just my opinion
Best of luck next year!

kaseita

same

but my teacher also gave us stuff from leading edge economics, the newsletters, which has alot of up-to-date data and market opinion, which relates to the course, so that helped as well.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
yeah we got that too.
i think it's great for statistics and also saves a lot of time.
but i also think it's good to do wider reading so you know global issues/different perspectives.
if your school doesn't get the leading edge newsletter I'd def. consider subscribing yourself

B

Bambul

So you're suggesting the AFR, SMH *and* The Economist??!!

I think just buying out John Fairfax Publishing to get free copies of the AFR and SMH might be cheaper than actually buying both, and that still leaves The Economist.

I get the SMH delivered daily and buy The Economist about once a month (tops) and only get the AFR when the budget comes around each year (plus The Australian).

I agree about Ross Gittins, I have clippings of most of his articles from the past 2 1/2 years. I'd probably put him alongside Paul Clitheroe as my idols. :rolleyes:

I probably should say that if you're doing all this wider reading purely for getting better marks in economict, then you either have to be very diciplined or you will not last very long. I did a lot of wider reading (newspapers, textbooks on topics not on the sylabus, books by Galbraith and Marx, etc), but virtually all of it was from my love of economics and my desire to learn more.

I even had a good long read of all the things that were in the old 3 unit economics course (which I am very displeased was removed the year I sat the HSC). It was very interesting stuff, particularely the changing economic theories over the 19th and 20th centuries. For anyone who has done Physics and learnt about the transition from classical to modern physics, it is similar in a way to that.

And I've got no idea how I wound up talking about that! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think The Economist is a necessity. Even if you can't apply the stuff to any of ur exams/ essay, the general overview and understanding that it provides is imprtant to be able to understand, apply and enjoy economics :)

AFR and Gittins, are of course also good. Good Luck :)

terminator

Do not buy the SMH, it is a waste of time and paper. The cheapest, fastest and most environmentally friendly alternative is just to visit www.smh.com.au every Sat, and read the Gittins' article/s. :evilfire: :evilfire:

B

Bambul

Originally posted by terminator
Do not buy the SMH, it is a waste of time and paper. The cheapest, fastest and most environmentally friendly alternative is just to visit www.smh.com.au every Sat, and read the Gittins' article/s. :evilfire: :evilfire:
Yeah, I should warn anyone thinking of getting the SMH that first you should take a course on page turning for butcher paper size newspapers. It's taken me years to master that art.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Thankx for your input people. I do generally enjoy ecos, so wide reading in it shouldn't be a problem. I alreeday read the smh and gittins regularly and occasional economist and afr, and i do have acces to the other stuff you guys mentioned, so that should be good.
Good luck in uni or whatever you guys do next.

timace

haaarrr.
HSC
I recommend you go through the first three sections of the Saturday SMH for articles... Because there are at times articles you can't find on the site, this might give you a comparative advantage.
The rest of the week, read SMH online. Sometimes even the Sunday Telegraph (yes, a NewsLimited paper) has some good stuff...
(Note the accentuation of the word sometimes)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
the leading edge website has latest states for ppl who can't read stats from the ABS site (which has all the stats you'll ever need).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)