Arts Advanced (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
just wondering if anyone here is doing Arts Advanced? i'd love to do this next year, but i dont think i could make the UAI cut-off. sydney published it in march as being 98.05 and then in june as 97.65 - maybe if it keeps on going down i can get in? (pfft). i'm expecting somewhere between 90 & 95. anyway, is anyone here doing the course, or anyone who knows anyone doing it? is it worth the effort??

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
A group of guys from my school (Grammar) are doing it, I've heard no complaints :).

Generator

HSC
N/A
It seems like a degree that was designed to deal with the students who may have just missed out on the ba (media and communications) or ba/law degrees... I still cannnot see any real reason for it being offered other than that... But then again, maybe it has been designed to cater for those with the intent of continuing on with their education beyond honours level rather than for all...

Last edited:

sif not 99

i know of a gal doing it and she loves it...makes me want to thing that I should have done it....

basically my understanding of it is that its the usual arts subjects but the advanced ppl get together for their own extra seminars and stuff...

obviously offered to try and channel arts ppl into honours or post grad stuff I would imagine...

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by routemarker
Adv Arts lol thats one for the ages...
Are you implying that Arts Advanced is perhaps a joke? That the study of literature, history, gender, psychology, music, archaeology, languages, or cultures etcetera at a high level as a part of an arts degree is somehow absurd because it has the title of "Arts? Perhaps you simply find the idea of dedication to something arts-related as a joke.

The UAI, as spinsugar said, is up there in the high nineties, higher than a simple languages degree, higher than some psychology degrees and damn close to law and sci degrees.

Tell me where the humour is. I would kill to get into that course. I do extension history, extension 2 english, and extension music. I would love to do Arts Advanced for the specific reason that it is aimed at serious students who wish to continue their education into a post grad course (wow, similar to law, and science, and medicine, isnt it?) Am I funny, for wanting to do such a course? Am I one for the ages? Is spinsugar? Are we fools because we want to do a course that does not have exciting words such as molecular biotechnology in it?

If you do not have an opinion that is lacking in superficial judgement and stereotypical, somewhat elitist perception of the course (and what this then implies about the person doing the course,) then perhaps you should refrain from commenting in such a way.

Maybe you could make another thread aimed specifically at degrading Arts and Arts advanced students, and leave this one for people who are in fact seriously considering the course as an option post-HSC. Your comment did not help spinsugar any, nor any other prospective Arts-Advanced students. You did not provide any valuable input whatsoever. So why bother at all. RAH!

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
ahaha as I wrote that reply I was thinking,

Yarr, someone is going to reply to this and tell me to chillout.

(What can I say, it was one-in-the-morning-ish and I was // am swamped in massive arts-related assessments to finish before school starts again. I am praying for death in my sleep just to avoid it. heh.)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Go gloria!!!!!

See, that's what you get when you piss off someone that has the power of words!!!

I want to do an arts degree (media and comm) but at the moment I do 4 unit english, 3 unit maths, chem, bio and modern history.... and I'm coming first in chem and second in bio (cause I don't do much work in it).... you can actually study science subjects in an arts degree too. Just because someone does arts doesn't mean they are dumb or completely hopeless at maths or science!!!!! Arts degrees are courses too, don't scoff at them!

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Ah! yr one of those genius people who ace the english related AND the sci / maths related subjects! (Although only second in bio... I don't know. ahaha.)

Our teacher wants our entire ext2eng major works next week and I'm barely halfway through drafts -- I'm not going to get to uni at all, let alone an exciting Arts course.

Current future options are thus folk singing in a travelling carnival, and / or being a circus performer.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
No offense to anyone contemplating Arts-Advanced next year - if you get in, you are cleary very intelligent people. But where would an advanced arts degree take you? what do you plan on doing afterwards? Sure, it interests you, but what will your career path be?or do you only want to do Ad. Arts because you have an interest in the area? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see doing a course just because it's interesting. You go to Uni to get a degree and then a job - Medicine, Law, Science - they all have clear paths you'd follow whereas Arts does not.

I plan on doing nursing, a career that has little elegance or respect, so don't lay the elitist crap on me ;)

I guess if you have the money and the brains, sure, whatever makes you happy. I just on't see where it would take you.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by White Rabbit
No offense to anyone contemplating Arts-Advanced next year - if you get in, you are cleary very intelligent people. But where would an advanced arts degree take you? what do you plan on doing afterwards? Sure, it interests you, but what will your career path be?or do you only want to do Ad. Arts because you have an interest in the area? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see doing a course just because it's interesting. You go to Uni to get a degree and then a job - Medicine, Law, Science - they all have clear paths you'd follow whereas Arts does not.

I plan on doing nursing, a career that has little elegance or respect, so don't lay the elitist crap on me ;)

I guess if you have the money and the brains, sure, whatever makes you happy. I just on't see where it would take you.
the whole purpose of the Arts Advanced course is that people doing it do so with the intent of recieving post graduate qualifications.

the post graduate courses are numerous; (check them out here). With such a diverse range of topics, you could really pursue a number of careers - which is part of the appeal of arts in my opinion.
i personally look at doing arts advanced (SHOULD i get in, which i won't, but i will try) with a view to perhaps lecturing at university in one of the electives i studied-- maybe gender studies or english.

i like the idea of teaching, but i think i would find university teaching far more challenging (and thus rewarding).

i think MANY people would do arts advanced (or arts in general) combining it with Education, to become a teacher.

I mean there are a number of careers that one could take stemming from such topics...

perhaps the names of these postgraduate qualifications will give you an idea of the kind of careers available...

Master of Letters (MLitt)
Master of Arts (MA)
Master of Professional Communication (MPC)
Master of Media Practice (MMediaPrac)
Master of Medical Humanities (MMedicalHum)
Graduate Diploma in Arts(GradDipArts)
Graduate Diploma in Media Practice (GradDipMediaPrac)
Graduate Diploma in Medical Humanities (GradDipMedicalHum)
Graduate Diploma in Museum Studies (GradDipMuseumStud)
Graduate Diploma of Professional Communication (GradDipPC)
Graduate Certificate in Arts(GradCertArts)
Graduate Certificate in Media Practice (GradCertMediaPrac)
Graduate Certificate in Medical Humanities (GradCertmedicalHum)
Graduate Certificate in Museum Studies (GradCertMuseumStud)
Graduate Certificate in Human Services Management(GradCertHSM)
Graduate Certificate of Professional Communication (GradCertPC)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey what exactly does the MLitt postgrad degree entail?

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
2 of the smartest people i know are doing it at usyd. i think it'd be good, if you're into that sort of thing. and don't worry about getting a job, do it if you want to. choosing a course becuase it's going to make you rich is like, the worst possible move ever. i have a friend who's doing medicine for that reason, and hating it.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
im sure he will hate every hundred thousand dollars in hes bank account in the future years too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)