• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arts/Laws at ANU (1 Viewer)

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Hey guys,

Does anyone do combined law at ANU? I'm thinking it's probably my best bet next year (Syd 99.6 eeek!). I know ANU is ranked pretty well globally, is law good? And did anyone get in with a UAI lower than 95?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I dont go to ANU, but its possible to get in with a UAI of less then 95 with..

1) An application submitted to the law faculty
2) High english marks
3) EAS

However, i'm not sure if the 95 cut-off takes the first two into consideration.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Arts/Law at ANU. Woo! I'm planning to do this next year.

Ribbon who lurks around here sometimes is doing Commerce/Law down there now.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Arts/Law? pshhtt

Asian Studies/Law all the way Ziff :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
gemita said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone do combined law at ANU? I'm thinking it's probably my best bet next year (Syd 99.6 eeek!). I know ANU is ranked pretty well globally, is law good? And did anyone get in with a UAI lower than 95?
In regards to law, I think in later year subjects where you get a choice in the electives, you'll find that they are extremely strong in areas of Public law, Constitutional law, International law, Environemntal law and Intellectual Property law.

Personally, I think for future career options being proficent at IP law would be a very good idea. Especially if you want to make a motza for persecuting internet pirates and the Chinese for big corporations :p

omg_a

HSC
third try lucky (this is what happens when i try studying, my brain rebels)
the post is in the law admissions forum. somewhere. i saw it, so it does exist, i swear.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
gemita said:
Hey Ziff what made you choose ANU?
I have quite a few reasons for choosing ANU over UOW.

Firstly, I want to move out of Wollongong, I want to move away and experience something different. UOW forces you to undergo a "practical legal programme" (assuming everyone wants to become a solicitor or conveyencer in small town Wollongong I guess) and personally, I'd rather spend that last 6mths of my degree pursuing honours and electives that interest me (e.g. International Law or Intelectual Property Law).

The cut offs for ANU's law school are much, much lower than those of Sydney law schools. Canberra is also cheaper to live in than Sydney (and much more convenient than say living on the outskirts of Sydney and travelling 3hrs+ to get to and from University).

ANU's arts school is enormous compared to Wollongong's. I can actually get to do German at ANU, whereas UOW doesn't offer it.

Also, I'm interested in politics and international matters, so Canberra is clearly the logical choice for both of those. At ANU you can also apply for the National Internships Programme where you get to work with Senators or MPs and so on.

From what I've read about ANU compared to other Unis, it seems like a university I might enjoy going to.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
thumbs up for ANU law...their strength is public law...
Public Law, Constitutional Law, Intellectual Property Law, Environmental Law and Commerical Law.

Then again, these are the Centres that reside at ANU:
Originally posted by http://law.anu.edu.au:

The Australian Centre for Environmental Law (ACEL) aims to meet the growing demand for environmental law expertise-in practice, in teaching, in research and in public policy development.

The Australian Centre for Intellectual Property in Agriculture (ACIPA) is a national facility for education and training, and research and policy development in intellectual property issues as they apply to agricultural biotechnology and the grains industry.

The Centre for Commercial Law's (CCL) functions include encouraging commercial law research and teaching in the Law Faculty, and conducting seminars and workshops for legal practitioners, government, and the business community on commercial law issues, particularly as they affect government commercial practice.

The Centre for International and Public Law (CIPL) was established in 1990 and its primary focus is legal aspects of the international order and issues of public law, particularly the relationship between governments and individuals.

The Centre for Law and Economics has been established to become a Trans-Tasman centre of excellence in the application of economic analysis to law in Australia and New Zealand. All Government policy, whether taxation expenditure or pure property rights regulation, involves at its root laws enacted by Parliament or courts.

The Australian Network for Japanese Law (ANJeL) is an initiative of the law faculties at the Australian National University (ANU), the University of New South Wales (UNSW) and the University of Sydney (USyd). The core aim of ANJeL is to promote scholarly engagement with Japanese law, especially in Australia.

The Australian Labour Law Association main objectives are to promote the study of labour law and social security both in Australia and internationally, and to provide a forum for discussion and debate for lawyers and others working in these fields.

santaslayer

HSC
Ziff said:

UOW forces you to undergo a "practical legal programme" (assuming everyone wants to become a solicitor or conveyencer in small town Wollongong I guess) and personally, I'd rather spend that last 6mths of my degree pursuing honours and electives that interest me (e.g. International Law or Intelectual Property Law).

The cut offs for ANU's law school are much, much lower than those of Sydney law schools. Canberra is also cheaper to live in than Sydney (and much more convenient than say living on the outskirts of Sydney and travelling 3hrs+ to get to and from University).

ANU's arts school is enormous compared to Wollongong's. I can actually get to do German at ANU, whereas UOW doesn't offer it.

Also, I'm interested in politics and international matters, so Canberra is clearly the logical choice for both of those. At ANU you can also apply for the National Internships Programme where you get to work with Senators or MPs and so on.

From what I've read about ANU compared to other Unis, it seems like a university I might enjoy going to.

1) You don't have to do your PLT in the last 6 months of your degree, it's up to you, you can do it in the 6th year which is the more popular option. In other words, you can get both your PLT and honours.

2) The cutoffs at UoW are way lower than ANU's!!! :p

3) German isn't used a lot anymore. They speak English there. That being said, it's a subject/degree choice and I can't change that. :)

4) Point conceeded.

5) That Ziff, is mixture of biases and propoganda. :p (JJK) No one can do much when you've been practically sold. I do however, note the word "seems" which is synonymous to words such as ''appear'' and ''impression'' :p :p

6) Good luck anywho. :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
1) You don't have to do your PLT in the last 6 months of your degree, it's up to you, you can do it in the 6th year which is the more popular option. In other words, you can get both your PLT and honours.

2) The cutoffs at UoW are way lower than ANU's!!! :p

3) German isn't used a lot anymore. They speak English there. That being said, it's a subject/degree choice and I can't change that. :)

4) Point conceeded.

5) That Ziff, is mixture of biases and propoganda. :p (JJK) No one can do much when you've been practically sold. I do however, note the word "seems" which is synonymous to words such as ''appear'' and ''impression'' :p :p

6) Good luck anywho. :)
No one speaks German?!

Most of the old Eastern European nations learnt German rather than French or English at school (and well Russian, but that was forced) and not to mention Switzerland, Germany and Austria (that makes up over 100million people already).

Yeah the PLT, I was talking to some woman about it at the Careers Expo, I thought it was forced, my bad. That's the impression I got (because she was trying to use that as the big leverage over ANU when I asked her to tell me the pros of UOW)

Well because I haven't gone to that university yet as a student I have to use works like appears, seems and impression because I don't definitely know for sure until I attend that institution :p

boyleluc

Hey
i'm looking at commerce law at ANU and i've spoken to a guy who works for the humans right commission and he said ANU is great for law - aprticuarly humanitarian law because they tend to be a bit more left wing then sydney. and besides their UAI cut offs are soooo much lower

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
boyleluc said:
Hey
i'm looking at commerce law at ANU and i've spoken to a guy who works for the humans right commission and he said ANU is great for law - aprticuarly humanitarian law because they tend to be a bit more left wing then sydney. and besides their UAI cut offs are soooo much lower
Yay! Thanx, that actually happens to be exactly what I want to focus on... international humanitarian law. I know there's a lot of talk on the uni forums about uni reputations and how much they count for etc...it's good to hear that ANU has a good name outside of ANU students, who all rave about it (which I guess is a good sign, but hey).

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
omg_a said:
hey gem, go to the other universities, then anu, i posted a similar thread there. i know i should link but i cant be bothered. you'll find it.
Hey A! I didn't realise it was u till I saw the roxy thing, then I was like wow, I wonder if it's the same roxy? And then, hmmm, her subjects r kinda like a's...and then the french quotes, and then finally.....OMG it's A!!! I knew studying was bad for the brain. Anyways, I found the other thread, thanx!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
boyleluc said:
ANU is great for law - aprticuarly humanitarian law because they tend to be a bit more left wing then sydney.
I doubt thats possible.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Ziff said:

Firstly, I want to move out of Wollongong, I want to move away and experience something different. UOW forces you to undergo a "practical legal programme" (assuming everyone wants to become a solicitor or conveyencer in small town Wollongong I guess) and personally, I'd rather spend that last 6mths of my degree pursuing honours and electives that interest me (e.g. International Law or Intelectual Property Law).

I will see you there then. ANU > every uni in Syd. I just need to get all subs over 85 and the exts over 80, then I'm set...
the cut offs for syd unis are so high...even scarily smart people like frigid didn't get in.
With access you can probably get in with a UAI of 90, it's usually five points in comparison to like 1-2 with the syd unis. So yes, in conclusion, ANU law/arts rocks, and the people who want to do it also rock.

omg_a

HSC
giggle. im so excited....yay, i hope we all get in to anu law!!!! im really interested in international law, so it seems like the place to be.
and sorry about my confusion yesterday.
gem, silly, of course it's me. actually, it just occurred to me that u could have not been you. but it sounded like you.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No no, you've got it all wrong. ANU is terrible...canberra's a hole...you dont want to go there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)