Arts Network Transition & Mentoring Program? (1 Viewer)

eshi

shy
HSC
Hey, Just wondering if anyone is going to be participating in this during O-week or if anyone has done it in previous years? Is it worthwhile? :)

eshi

shy
HSC
Yeah, I haven't signed up for it yet....not too sure, I don't know anyone doing arts so that ain't a great start and even though I spose that's what the program is for I don't wish to be standing around all day like a guppy fish. :(

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
I'm not sure whether to sign up or not. I really cbf... :p

eshi

shy
HSC
I think that we do different activities...get to know each other/uni stuff? (somebody please correct me if this isn't right!) I think I'm gonna go...I mean it's not like I have anything to lose except a day during which I probably wouldn't have done anything anyway :eek: besides which I'm only going to be a first year once...may as well make the most of the stuff they put on for us! :)

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
yeh, basically there's a nice little (hopefully amusing) introduction to USYD Arts, then you get placed into smaller groups and are assigned a mentor.

I believe we're doing a tour of uni on the first day (which is WAY better than the study skills thing they tried to get ppl to do last year - ((everyone left))).

So yeh, you are split into groups about 4-8 ppl each, depending on your Degree programs and subjects.

I guess the main aim is meeting new people doing similar things and getting to know the uni.

If you chose to you can continue meeting with your mentor and the rest of the group for the next few weeks... can be quite fun, also can participate in the scavenger hunt (*wonders if that's being done this year*)...

anyway, I'm a mentor too... , anyone for a drink?

SharkBait

HSC
hmm

well, i've signed up for it ova the net....but the thing is, now i dunno if its worth it. well, mite as well go and check it out. seems like everyone else is in the same boat as me. i dunno anyone else doin arts as well, let alone my units of study. well, i just hope that this program thing is worth it, coz man there are a lotta places i could be at instead...

btw, does anyone know if the faculty welcomes are compulsory? like, it is really worth going?

LazyBoy

HSC
Delta32 said:
yeh, basically there's a nice little (hopefully amusing) introduction to USYD Arts, then you get placed into smaller groups and are assigned a mentor.

I believe we're doing a tour of uni on the first day (which is WAY better than the study skills thing they tried to get ppl to do last year - ((everyone left))).

So yeh, you are split into groups about 4-8 ppl each, depending on your Degree programs and subjects.

I guess the main aim is meeting new people doing similar things and getting to know the uni.

If you chose to you can continue meeting with your mentor and the rest of the group for the next few weeks... can be quite fun, also can participate in the scavenger hunt (*wonders if that's being done this year*)...

anyway, I'm a mentor too... , anyone for a drink?
rofl ill have a drink with you :p

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
i'm doing it to humour my mum who thinks i'm going to fall in a heap three weeks into first semester. i hope we play get-to-know-you games, i love those. *nerd alert...*

hey, it might be lame. but at least we're all in it together.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i'm still trying to figure out whether this would be worth it. what happens if you get put into a group of people you don't like? lol Do you do activities with your mentor and group all 3 days of o-week?

--hiphop--

Yeah me and my girlfriend are going, why not, check out what people reckon bout certain subjects, might find out it helps if anything.

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
btw, does anyone know if the faculty welcomes are compulsory? like, it is really worth going?
I didn't go last year, not that many people really do, nothing spectacular. The one within the Arts Workshop can be seen as enough... (my reasoning last year)

welshi said:
i'm doing it to humour my mum who thinks i'm going to fall in a heap three weeks into first semester. i hope we play get-to-know-you games, i love those. *nerd alert...*

hey, it might be lame. but at least we're all in it together.
Yeh, probably some ice breakers and such...*yay*

grk_styl said:
i'm still trying to figure out whether this would be worth it. what happens if you get put into a group of people you don't like? lol Do you do activities with your mentor and group all 3 days of o-week?
Umm, if you dont like the group, you can prolly arrange a transfer to another group if you've met someone more interesting.. the groups are also put into groups of groups for the first couple of hours...

As for meeting after the workshop day, usually you do (just because it's fun/nice/other warm and fuzzy adjectives), but only for like a couple of hours in O-week, and then maybe once or twice after that in the first couple of weeks of uni.

lazyboy said:
rofl ill have a drink with you :p
I'm going to take my group to manning bar at least...(at LEAST)

eshi

shy
HSC
Delta32 said:
:D I wanna be in that group!!!! I mean you have to learn how to get around the most important places on campus ;)

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
Delta32 said:

I've decided to sign up :p

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
eshi said:
:D I wanna be in that group!!!! I mean you have to learn how to get around the most important places on campus ;)
Hmm people don't really need convincing do they? ;)

I think mainly BAI students get to be in my group.. I think I'm the only BAI mentor... (un?)lucky them?

Anyone else is welcome to join us...

LazyBoy

HSC
i have no idea where to go to register for this program, i wouldnt mind doing it...lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)