Arts Psych major...what else (1 Viewer)

gemmal

HSC
I plan on majoring in psych under an arts degree, what's another popular major to do along with the psych?

Bob.

HSC
hey another arts psyc majorer. um its an arts degree you can do whatever you want. Although sociology or anthropology would probably be good ones to accompany psychology.

HSC
N/A
I agree with Bob. Sociology is heaps popular in Arts. Quite a few people do psych and sociology, they compliment each other somewhat.

gemmal

HSC
Cool cool, thanks guys will def check them out. If anyone's doing it already, how are you finding it?

gemmal

HSC
What about an English major? I did Advanced English at school and was pretty good at it, is it "hard"?

veridis

droog
HSC
english is reasonably easy but quite boring. the assessments are pretty similar to high school english in that there isnt much scope for variation, you can guess pretty easily the answer they want to hear despite trying to make the question seem open. like all things first year isnt bad but you have to remember everyone doing senior units for any subject will be the ones that find it easy so no point trying to guess which units are easiest.
IMO there's not much point trying to match an arts major to psych either, whatever you do you'll be able to find ways of linking it. as states sociology and anthropology are common, philosophy and gender/cultural studies also link, an english/linguistics background can be useful for certain aspects of developmental psych, there's a bit of crossover with some religion units. i'm doing psych/history which is probably one of the least useful combos but i like it. just look at what interests you and check it out in 1st year. what courses are you enrolled in?

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Psych and philosophy go together pretty well and you'll find that quite a lot of the material will overlap (philosophy units with names like 'moral psychology' serve as evidence). That said, I think sociology would fit best with psych, especially if you're interested in social psyc.

gemmal

HSC
Excellent, thanks guys for all the advice. Any other info would be great.

gemmal

HSC
For first year, apart from psych and sociology what other first unit subjects should I do?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
gemmal said:
For first year, apart from psych and sociology what other first unit subjects should I do?
There's plenty of choice. Pick a couple of subjects that you'd be interested in and give them a go. (Bear in mind also that up to a quarter of your first-year units can be from outside the Arts faculty, so you could do government and international relations, marketing, a science, etc.)

gemmal

HSC
Thanks Triangulum vbmenu_register("postmenu_2794323", true); for that. What's the breakdown of the Art degree, how many subjects do we have to do from the arts, how many are we allowed to do from the other faculties?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I think it's a maximum of 60cp (10 courses) from outside the faculty, including a maximum 12cp (2 courses) of junior units. So you can do as many as 48cp (8 courses) of intermediate and senior units, which is enough to complete a major and probably qualify for entry to honours.

gemmal

HSC
WOW that's great. Typically, what do most pysch students end up doing subject wise, and is it bad, degree wise to have a bunch of subjects that don't really relate to one another?

gemmal

HSC
Triangulum said:
I think it's a maximum of 60cp (10 courses) from outside the faculty, including a maximum 12cp (2 courses) of junior units. So you can do as many as 48cp (8 courses) of intermediate and senior units, which is enough to complete a major and probably qualify for entry to honours.
Do those 60 credit points have to come from Table B?

gemmal

HSC
Triangulum said:
There's plenty of choice. Pick a couple of subjects that you'd be interested in and give them a go. (Bear in mind also that up to a quarter of your first-year units can be from outside the Arts faculty, so you could do government and international relations, marketing, a science, etc.)
Marketing? I can't find it anywhere in Table B.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
gemmal said:
Do those 60 credit points have to come from Table B?
Nope. Sixty is the maximum number of cp from Table B, but you don't have to do any if you don't want to.

gemmal said:
is it bad, degree wise to have a bunch of subjects that don't really relate to one another?
I suppose that'd depend on how well you want the particular degree to suit you for a particular career, but I don't see anything wrong with doing stuff outside the main thrust of your degree. As the Arts faculty has been telling us over and over and over and over again (and, as a side note, I could swear that the speech at the Arts faculty welcome at O-week was exactly the same as the one at info day), an Arts degree is meant to make you a well-rounded person, or something.

gemmal

HSC
Since when did PSYC1001 become a 3 lecture subject? Up until afew days ago my timetable only had 2 lectures!

EDIT: looks like they've changed the assessments aswell..

Classes: Three 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week, plus 1 hour per week of additional web-based (self-paced) material related to the tutorial.

Assessment: One 2.5hr exam, one 1000w essay, multiple tutorial tests, experimental participation.

Textbooks: Psychology 1001 Handbook, Texts under review - See School website

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)