Arts > Software Engineering/Computer Science (1 Viewer)

Adrian.

HSC
I'm in year 12 at the moment and am doing general maths (my school doesn't have 2 unit). Would it be possible for me to get into a BA at NSW and then transfer to SE or CS? I was looking at the first year program for SE and can see all the subjects you can do but I can't find a list of what subjects are available in the BA. Is it possible to do some maths subjects to get me up to speed (and maybe some comp) so I can transfer into 1st year SE/CS?

Thank you.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Why not get straight into Computer Science / Software Engineering in the first place?

During summer UNSW runs bridging courses to help students like yourself to meet certain "assumed knowledge" levels before starting uni.

For the arts plan, use the Virtual Handbook

gman03

HSC
sunny said:
Why not get straight into Computer Science / Software Engineering in the first place?

During summer UNSW runs bridging courses to help students like yourself to meet certain "assumed knowledge" levels before starting uni.

For the arts plan, use the Virtual Handbook
I don't think you can do CS with Software / Computer Engineering / Bioninformatics

Edit: oops I misread the question, sorry. You are most likely able to get into Comp Sci if you can get into Arts. As for Software Eng.....

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
everyone knows that compsci can mimic a software degree
if you really want to do software you can change into it after first semester of computer science
if not at the end of first year
that is, if you get good grades

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
it's easy to get good grades, if and only if you don't do phys1131 and elec1011

asdf

HSC
Just apply for normal CS or Software degree instead of going from arts to something else. I dont understand why you want to do it that way?

Also, bridging course is normaly for people with 2 unit background, not general mathematics. You can probably enroll in some introductory mathematics course and then do math1131.

Adrian.

HSC
Thank you all for your info. The reason I was thinking of going into arts first was that I thought I wouldn't be allowed to do SE/CS without 3 Unit. I'll try and get straight into SE and just see about doing the lower maths first (or the bridging course). Thank you.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
you don't even need to do the bridging courses
i think i saw some people doing 1131 with just 2unit maths background, even still, people with a band-1 in 3unit do 1131 and... sometimes.. get along with it fine.
i would just recommend teaching yourself some 3u stuff during the hsc year, become real good at maths, it will help you in all aspects of life anyway :)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC

asdf

HSC
Li0n said:
you don't even need to do the bridging courses
i think i saw some people doing 1131 with just 2unit maths background, even still, people with a band-1 in 3unit do 1131 and... sometimes.. get along with it fine.
i would just recommend teaching yourself some 3u stuff during the hsc year, become real good at maths, it will help you in all aspects of life anyway :)
yes but he's doing general maths. No way he'll pass 1131 without atleast 2 unit knowledge.

You can enroll in general maths 1b here, but even that requires 2 unit background. Not sure if they have courses any lower than this. You might want to speak to the maths faculty about it.
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2005/MATH1011.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)