Arts Subject Scaling (1 Viewer)

thesecond

HSC
So i'm doing pretty terrible in one of my subjects (HSTY 1076, i know everyone says its easy)
Anyway I got a 60 for one essay, 61 for the other. Since its an arts subject where i hear scaling is pretty bad, how likely am i to fail?
Doomed?

I know i should probs wait for the exam, but i would just like an idea of my position in advance in case the results come out similar.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I dont think you will fail, one of my friends said that as long as you get a > 50 you pass, as in it wont get scaled down, I also remember reading somewhere else some guy did biol 1003 and had enough marks to pass already even if he got a 0 in the final, so umm yeah you should be ok.

Thats just what I think.

izzy88

HSC
If you are getting 60's for your essays and get above 50 for your exam you won't fail.

Lecturers (especially arts ones) don't actually like to fail people, and they will never fail anyone just to fit to some kind of bell curve (there isn't a requirement that someone has to fail the course)- well this is my understanding anyway. I'm not even sure that the Faculty of Arts (or the history department) has a set bell curve that they must apply.

I wouldn't worry about scaling. Just do your best. Also even if you were on the cusp of failing (which I don't think you are), the lecturer would take into account whether you had attended tutorials etc- good attendance/taking part works in your favour.

witide

HSC
Aye, they're definitely not going to scale you down to a fail. They want you to do well, but they sometimes have to scale people down if everybody gets hd's and distinctions.

thesecond

HSC
Huge thankyou for the info guys.
I'm feeling better about those marks now and a lot less stressed about the exam.

spiderpig333

first year B.A.
HSC
So i'm doing pretty terrible in one of my subjects (HSTY 1076, i know everyone says its easy)
Anyway I got a 60 for one essay, 61 for the other. Since its an arts subject where i hear scaling is pretty bad, how likely am i to fail?
Doomed?

I know i should probs wait for the exam, but i would just like an idea of my position in advance in case the results come out similar.

60 is not terrible I'm doing HSTY 1076 too. Dr Coates told us that anything above sixty is a good mark it's the equivalent of 80 in high school.

Also I agree with the above people you are not doomed.. and very unlikely to fail.

I found this website ; Amazing grade calculator
when you type all the weighings and marks then it tells you how much you need to get a credit, pass etc..

Good luck with the exam.. :)
I am really really nervous about it, I need 77 to get a 'distinction' average.

Also I didn;t hear everyone says it's easy.. I find it interesting, useful and my favorite subject (Dr Coates is a great best lecturer) , my friends find it hard. I think it can be challenging practically skillwise with the essay writing techniques but conceptually easy. Appaerently the course gets marked hard my friend said .. But since they give good feedback it;s useful for learning essay writing for other subjects..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)