Arts @ Victorian Universities (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I've been looking at Uni's for next year and am leaning heavily towards doing an Arts degree as I don't think I'll get the (VCE) ENTER to get straight into law (my goal is to get 90, which is doable for me).

I'd like to get into Arts at Melbourne Uni for many reasons, particularly convenience and the possibility of doing their Juris Doctor, by transferring from Arts into law which I assume would be easier to do from the same Uni.

However, I think I'm being very narrow in my course selection here. What are the other Arts courses in Victoria like? I'm talking in particular about Arts at Monash Clayton/Caulfield or even at La Trobe or Deakin.

Or is Arts at Melbourne the right choice?

Be good to get some feedback. Cheers.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
If you must do Arts do it at Melbourne. Definitely stay away from Deakin or La trobe or any other non Go8 uni's. Monash uni clayton campus is IMO disgusting and Caulfield Campus is way to small.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Thanks for the feedback, was waiting for a reply.

The Melbourne Uni campus is obviously miles ahead of the Monash Campus, but what of the actual courses themselves? If I just miss getting into Melbourne I can probably get into the (slightly) less stringent Monash Arts course with a smaller ENTER and I won't feel too bad about the campus if it still has a good course.

WonderBunny

HSC
Melbourne uni also has compulsory breadth subjects. A quarter of the arts degree has to be subjects from outside arts. If that sounds good, then go to Melbourne. If you don't like to be forced to study things you're not interested in, go anywhere else.

elena24

HSC
yeah the whole new 'melbourne model' thing is stuffed up, needless to say i am still here and studying it despite the breadth and compulsory subjects. if you really want to branch out and try more subjects dont pick melbourne, its only good for the prestige.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I'd like to get into Arts at Melbourne Uni for many reasons, particularly convenience and the possibility of doing their Juris Doctor, by transferring from Arts into law which I assume would be easier to do from the same Uni.
You wouldn't be able to transfer into the JD; you'd have to finish arts first and then sit the LSAT for entry. All up, unless you do the intensive JD, it would be 6 years in uni. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I don't think Melbourne Uni undergrads get preference for the JD - it's a free-for-all unless you gained automatic entry or whatever it's called from the beginning.

I'm heavily biased against Melbourne Uni arts but that's probably because I'm in the last group of the old model. The trend is cuts, cuts, cuts - keep that in mind, though it depends on which area you want to major in. Monash is just as highly regarded, but a hell of a lot further away from the city.

Last edited:

xChloex

HSC
everyone in my yr 12 class is putting the victoria uni arts course as their last VTAC preference, I'd stay away from there lol :p
melb uni sounds like the best option

hotdimsim

HSC
melbourne was known for its arts and humanities quality of teaching but, as another forumer stated, melb are all about budget and staff cuts. Perfect example is their downsizing of the vca (even though that doesnt have much effect on the BA course) which shows that melb are all about the bottom line and not student learning and satisfaction. They are relying on their 'prestige' to get students, not the quality of course, which is diminishing.

Monash, imo, is now better than melbourne if you want to study arts. However, if you want to study law then why not try for monash law, if you dont get in try deakin or la trobe. Tbh, their law degrees are just as good as monash's undergrad degree (time will tell about the quality of melbournes jd, its too new to judge) and your marks will count towards your employment prospects rather than what uni you went to.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'd probably go to Melbourne over Monash for just purely Arts, I chose Monash since it still offered double degrees and was a shorter commute than University of Melbourne, and I wasn't going to do Arts by itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)