As You Like It (1 Viewer)

yummy-cookies

HSC
Just wondering, are any of you here doing As You Like It? How does it even remotely relate to the concept of belonging?

Kiza22

HSC
yea my school is.. we're only up to the beginning of act 3.

Orlando doesnt feel he belongs to his family but finds his "place" in the forset of arden with duke senior
the belonging related to freindships, love, "the universal suffering of humanity" (where they pulled that from i dont know, something about "all the worlds a stage" speech from jaques) etc.

well thats what they're trying to make us believe lol

youngminii

Banned
HSC
cookie.banana said:
god i'm sick of as you like it
Fix'd
As you like it is sh*t.
I hate it.
Worst Shakespeare ever.
F*cking belonging.

Yeah anyways, Orlando didn't belong to family blah blah
Rosalind especially didn't belong in the new court, since her father (old duke senior) was banished blah blah
They both ended up in Forest of Arden(which alludes to the Garden of Eden) where they are both welcomed with open arms, even though it's the place where exiled/fleeing people go
Rosalind dresses up as a dude(have you seen the movie? She's extremely disgusting) so that she's safe/belongs to the exiles, while her sister called herself Aliena ie. Alien -> a foreigner

But then they both end up fitting in/belonging extremely well and they fall in love etc.
Since love is a major theme in this book, I wanna know how love fits into the concept of belonging :(

Jaques is an important character 'cause he never belongs, whereas everyone else gets married and stuff
Jaques is the antithesis of Orlando and melancholy etc. All the world's a stage speech is really important for some reason.. I don't think it's important to the concept of belonging, rather, it's a really good Shakespearean quote, so don't bother decomposing it

Hope that helps

B.Lu3berry

HSC
we're also doing As You Like It
hate it so much
wth?? everyone falls in love after 3 seconds they see each other?

anyways ditto what prev. person said, and belonging is also related to the master nd servant relationship between Orlando and Adam, where Adam is extremely loyal and belongs to Orlando.

nature vs. court is also important- ppl can belong to the forest because it's not corrupted and full of jealousy--setting equates to the value of people that inhabit them etc.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

youngminii

Banned
HSC
B.Lu3berry said:
we're also doing As You Like It
hate it so much
wth?? everyone falls in love after 3 seconds they see each other?

anyways ditto what prev. person said, and belonging is also related to the master nd servant relationship between Orlando and Adam, where Adam is extremely loyal and belongs to Orlando.

nature vs. court is also important- ppl can belong to the forest because it's not corrupted and full of jealousy--setting equates to the value of people that inhabit them etc.
It wouldn't be wise to talk about Orlando and Adam
Although they might have a nice relationship, it doesn't relate to belonging too much. Also, Adam disappears upon entry into the forest, never to be spoken of again. It'll be too hard to talk about him without excluding 3/4 of the actual play, so yeah, just steer clear of Adam

simmowrites

HSC
I posted this up on another part of the forum, but i think it might help. I hope it does.
I have a few notes which i hope don't confuse you:

ACT ONE
- Shakespeare uses more than one plot line to reinforce the themes of belonging vs alienation (ie: oliver and orlando, duke frederick and duke senior)
- He changes the setting as a plot device and uses juxtaposition (confines of the courtly lifestyle to the freedom of the forest)
- Theres an idea of Robin Hood - presents the idea of outlaws and the antithesis of belonging: alienation. This is seen by Duke Frederick who leaves with his band of followers and chooses not to belong.
- The parallel of the relationship to Orlando and Oliver (who are linked through their bloodline) can be seen with Celia and Rosalind, who are merely cousins yet as close as sisters.
- Adam is used as a device in the opening scenes to link the two brothers back to each other (as the families servant)

ACT 2
- Rural life: belonging to nature can be seen (ACT 2, SC 1)
- I'm not sure where in act 2 it is, but theres a speech by Jacque (not all the world's a stage) that describes an affinity or meloncholy to nature that will back this up.

ACT 3
- All the worlds a stage speech by Jacque.
- Jacque is a minor character but the speech is so powerful
- Harsh satire of human development, giving a sad undertone to belonging
- Belonging to the world/race - suggests that everyone belongs

Well, thats all i have as yet, but if you get anymore notes on it, give us a shout coz i would appreciate it too :)

Hope i help and not hindered you lol!!!

Bond/Catalyst

HSC
Umm this is an alright quote form the text about belnging "you are your father's daughter,theresenough" it tells us that class, family etc are important in shaping whether or not we belong. Umm does nature over ride nurture? I think its natural for them to be in the court howver when they go to Ardenthey experience some commonality and can learn from nature and take those lessons back to court....

does that some how link to belonging?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the worst AOS you could have, if only relationships was the year 12 AOS.
All the best ppl!

Undomiel

HSC
Yeah i agree As You Like It isn't very good for belonging, i think they just picked the hardest belonging text they could find and said 'lets put that on the list because its Shakespeare'.

All the above have pretty much summed up what belonging concepts i got out of it. I think the forest changes people, there must be drugs in its air or something because everyone just falls in love, in exception to Rosalind and Orlando who fall in love before the forest.
Anyone seen the BBC movie of it? Talk about a laugh! It was painful to watch.

Have fun studying it everyone :p

JacintaLeax

HSC
Im doing As You Like It as my prescribed text!
Its so shit. There isn't enough to pull from it.

simmowrites

HSC
I think you can relate belonging back to anything. You can also relate it back to its antithesis: alienation
There are quite a lot of examples of belonging and alienation in A.Y.L.I but i find it hard to relate it back the thesis

You just have to look for it i think. Advanced is a really tough subject though, and bloody competitive so i think people feel a lot more pressure, at least i do anyway!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm doing it beginning of next year.

I'm just glad i'm not doing Othello again... the movie was ok where Iago loses it but everything else was boring.

Is As You Like It similar to Much Ado About Nothing? I didn't mind that one.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Undomiel said:
Yeah i agree As You Like It isn't very good for belonging, i think they just picked the hardest belonging text they could find and said 'lets put that on the list because its Shakespeare'.

All the above have pretty much summed up what belonging concepts i got out of it. I think the forest changes people, there must be drugs in its air or something because everyone just falls in love, in exception to Rosalind and Orlando who fall in love before the forest.
Anyone seen the BBC movie of it? Talk about a laugh! It was painful to watch.

Have fun studying it everyone :p
Yeah that movie was hilarious
Especially the wrestling scene.. LOL
Rosalind is extremely.. Not.. Hot?

Annabackwards: As You Like it is stupid.
I suggest you enrol for the TSFX (The School For Excellence) holiday course for English and pick As You Like It
I think I'ma do it, since I have a speech on it straight after

Undomiel

HSC
youngminii said:
Haha yeah the wrestling was totally the best part!
But the ending came pretty close... i dunno what was with that lol
Yeah they could've picked better lookers for that movie, would've made it a bit less painful :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
youngminii said:

Annabackwards: As You Like it is stupid.
I suggest you enrol for the TSFX (The School For Excellence) holiday course for English and pick As You Like It
I think I'ma do it, since I have a speech on it straight after
OOo that'd be a good idea, i'll see if i can make it, thanks ^^

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Undomiel said:
Haha yeah the wrestling was totally the best part!
But the ending came pretty close... i dunno what was with that lol
Yeah they could've picked better lookers for that movie, would've made it a bit less painful :p
Ahh, we haven't finished it yet :(
We're up to the bit where Ganymede(who does not look ANYTHING like a guy, I mean, she's wearing a SKIRT) just started pretending to be Rosalind for Orlando

atal.love

HSC
oh gosh, ive got to write an essay on as you like it tomorrow.
worst text for belonging, it bores me to death

-tal-

HSC
Most crapulent piece of Shakespeare I've ever seen. There's nothing of substance to pull from it goddamnit! Even my related texts are better!!

The concepts of belonging in it are so lacking - this play was never meant to be analysed, it was never meant to mean anything. So why are trying to draw meaning from it anyway?

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
-tal- said:
Most crapulent piece of Shakespeare I've ever seen. There's nothing of substance to pull from it goddamnit! Even my related texts are better!!

The concepts of belonging in it are so lacking - this play was never meant to be analysed, it was never meant to mean anything. So why are trying to draw meaning from it anyway?
bcoz english teachers are post modern wankers.:D

kurt16

HSC
hey im doing as you like it as well, ive got heaps of notes our teacher has given us if anyone would like some just pm me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)