Asian Studies or Government and International Relations? (1 Viewer)

exum

HSC
Hi, I'm planning on doing the International and Global Studies degree but am undecided on my major. On the one hand is Asian studies which I think I'll be good at and will make studying Chinese as my language relevant. The major sounds interesting but I'm unsure about my job opportunities post-uni - I'm not entirely sure if I want to work in Asia or as a translator or anything like that.

On the other hand is Government and International Relations. I'm not too confident that politics is the right career path for me because I have no one-sided views and the whole left and right wing thing seems so redundant to me, but I think policy making seems pretty fun. The international relations part meanwhile is more 'me' but again I'm not sure about job opportunities besides working at the UN, which I imaging is incredibly difficult to get into. Additionally, will studying Chinese be relevant for this major or should I challenge myself to take a beginner's course in French? I know French is used heavily as a global language and I studied it in year 7 but I've forgotten almost everything. Is it worth taking the risk to relearn it or is it better to stick with Chinese, which I have mediocre proficiency at best?

On another note, can anyone provide any advice on Government and International Relations junior units? I've heard that both Geopolitics and World Politics are hated by many but that's sort of the avenue I see myself heading to. I'm hoping for a distinction average so is this achievable?

Thanks in advance.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Do both. You should be able to fit them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)