Assessment Help!! (1 Viewer)

SImON1

HSC
hey guys, this is a 2 part assessment and i really need help with it.. any sort of information given will be muched appreciated..

i need to locate ONE source for the catergories relating to pompeii and herculaneum and i must write a paragraph analysis which:
- discusses what the source tells us about that particular aspect of P. & H. AND
- evaluates the usefulness and reliability of the source as a means of learning about P. & H.

the catergories are:
1- the economy
2- leisure activities
3- food, drink and dining
4- private buildings
5- religion

thats the first part of the assessment.. i really need your help, any kind of information will be great..
thanks

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
It should be covered in most board of studies recommended textbooks...there will be many examples and the first part would be quite clearly explained. For the evaluation you should use your introduction to archaeology skills from last year.

For example: If you were to use the house of Julia Felix as an example of private buildings you would have to evaluate whether it is reliable as a representation to private buildings in Pompeii. The source might be reliable in a sense that it showed the upper class private buildings however it cannot be taken to represent the lower classess houses.

menelaus

HSC
dont u have the textbook by lawless and whats her name. they have heaps of sources under those headings and links for sites with more sources. for economy theres loads of stuff like the boathouses at herc, supposedly housed large fishing fleet. and at pompeii theres the macellum/marketplace, table of weights and measures, slave market outside vesuvian gate, bakeries e.g. bakery of modestus.

leisure: baths in both p and h; cockfighting mosaic in pompeii, where there is a money bag- gambling; bars, taverns.

Private houses- villas in pompeii and herc.

SImON1

HSC
thanks for the info guys...
unfortunatley i dont have the cameron and lawless textbook.. does anyone know wats it called? i was told by my relief ancient teacher that its got loads of info...
thanks heaps again.. much appreciated :)

HSC
SImON1 said:
thanks for the info guys...
unfortunatley i dont have the cameron and lawless textbook.. does anyone know wats it called? i was told by my relief ancient teacher that its got loads of info...
thanks heaps again.. much appreciated :)
Its called Secrects of Vesuvius by K Cameron and J Lawless

Theres also
- Interpreting the Evidence, by Brian Brennan and Estelle Lazer

SImON1

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
Its called Secrects of Vesuvius by K Cameron and J Lawless

Theres also
- Interpreting the Evidence, by Brian Brennan and Estelle Lazer
thats the one.. i think ill buy the book aswell.. to keep ahead of the class :p..
thanks

skinnier

HSC
this may be a bit late but definetely get the bradley book and the lazer one is good theres also one by michael grant which is decent but the cameron is awesome. and dont worry bout ur assesment our teachers made us do 14 sections with 20 sources on each and a 2-3 page analysis ended up as 174 page assignment and 50000 words

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)