Assessment: Viva Voce (1 Viewer)

Redkoala

HSC
wow - i didn't realise how much it would vary from school to school... i feel lucky. Ours only go for 5minutes, and we aren't to prepare a speech, we are just suppose to have a conversation with three teachers. If they ask us questions, it is actually a bad thing, because it means they are trying to prompt us to say something that we should have covered ourselves. but then again, we have like 90 kids doing ext.2(and i'm first!!!!!), so maybe they just want to get them done quickly

Porcia

HSC
ninety?!!!!!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!!?!!??!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

emily_lestrange

HSC
Thanks guys,
My Viva Voce is next Tuesday (eek! Only a week)

My teacher today mentioned that you have to somehow relate the inspirtaion/ your major work to studies done in English Advanced or Extension 1.. is this true? On the sheet I was given it was not specified.

I guess I will have to ask her...

Never mind my mindless babble

Porcia

HSC
yeah of course you will have to whether or not it is specified

pungemo

HSC
I really don't know why it has to be related back to the course, but nevertheless it does (easier to assess I suppose). The teacher will probably want to know how you've 'expanded' upon the ideas you have examined during your coursework rather than just how they relate. It can be pretty confusing at times to know what to say. Well if your Ext. 1 topic is a crime fiction and your writing a detective story it shouldn't be too hard, especially if there's a journey involved too. Just take your story and hammer it into the mould of your course, in more eloquent language of course.

Porcia

HSC
yup; after all english EXTENSION is an extension (in a very literal sense) of the english coursework. there are many strands which can be linked; if you did critical theories in yr 11 (psychoanalyst, structuralist etc) you could say that your work is a result of this or that theory, etc. Also, you could make passing reference (en passant) to your advanced coursework - if there is a journey involved, if there is a powerstructure (powerplay) or etc.

HSC
90 people doing extension 2 in the one school is freakin ridiculous.

We just had our Vivas and they went for about 30 minutes each, we had to show/read a short excerpt from our video/written MW and then answer a series of questions on the draft specifically and then our MW in general.

HSC
N/A
The Brucemaster said:
90 people doing extension 2 in the one school is freakin ridiculous.
Not really, however it takes a certain mentality to have this sort of thing happen. Hornsby Girls has a long history of being very english-orientated from Yr 11(however the math is good as well), and I believe Baulkham Hills is following a similar route.

Quite a few will drop, however. I'd be suprised to find more than one third/one half a grade handing in an EE2 major work, however realistically anything is possible.

J

jhakka

90+ is huge. We only managed 13 in our group, with one person not finishing his Major Work. From memory I think he handed it in anyway, though. :)

renton

HSC
i did the same thing, 2 teachers 20 mins. its not that bad. adivce - known your work, know what your actually doing, purpose, ideas etc and practice a trillion times what u gonna say 2 em, do a mock viva with mum or your dog if your 2 nervous to face another human being yet.

pungemo

HSC
Personally I feel that if you're passionate about your work you should be able to talk about it at length. To me it just seems easy, although the creative writing involved with my journal was a little extreme. If you know what you've done and what you intend to do it shouldn't be a problem. Just relax and have a conversation with your teacher.

HSC
Yeah but even at Hornsby theres still nowhere near 90 people doing extension 2. As far as i know theres only about a dozen or so people doing it (i could be wrong but theres nowhere near 90). Even as a percentage of the whole grade thats still a considerable amount of people.

HSC
N/A
The Brucemaster said:
Yeah but even at Hornsby theres still nowhere near 90 people doing extension 2. As far as i know theres only about a dozen or so people doing it (i could be wrong but theres nowhere near 90). Even as a percentage of the whole grade thats still a considerable amount of people.
Last year there was about 60 (although that's not the final number), and HGHS *does* only have 120 girls per grade... I'd think there was something wrong if 3/4 of the grade did EE2, lol!!! Other schools like Baulko are bigger. Whilst not huge, they're competitive enough to push for a huge number like 90 for EE2... not saying they are doing it, but I wouldn't put it past them.

In my grade we had a final number of 34 doing EE2, I would imagine somewhere between 20-40 doing it currently.

Cat_Orange

HSC
glitterfairy said:
In my grade we had a final number of 34 doing EE2, I would imagine somewhere between 20-40 doing it currently.
Hot damn, there's only 3 of us doing it at my school. I think I'd prefer the smaller class, it's good to read over each others and see how we're all going. Although, it does make it a lot harder to hide bad marks, lol.

Our Vivas were yesterday, 20-40 minutes long depending.. we sort of didn't time it and just went on as long as we wanted too. I can be the first to say that my ranking will still be 3 out of 3, lol. I'm not particularly good at talking to other people, and one of the teachers who was doing the interrogation intimidates the crap out of me.

Ah well. No use crying over spilt milk.

HSC
The Brucemaster said:
wow there's only 4 people doing it at my school
Anyway, part 1 of my Viva is tomorrow, an interview with three teachers, answering set questions, and the next wednesday a presentation to the yr11 ext 1 class. I half wish it was in front of the yr12 class because there are only 3 people in that class who aren't doing ext2

kloudsurfer

HSC
Ahhhh!!!!
My Viva Voce is in week 4 of this term!

Am I the only one whos Viva voce is so early in the course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)