Assignment: "Industrial Separation of a Mixture" (1 Viewer)

adonis1

Ado
HSC
N/A
Hey, We recently were given an assignment for Chemistry, and I have been researching through google, and the thing is I cant get any resources from the links provided to help me, they are either something not related to "Industrial Separation of a Mixture" or is related to it, but is in very hard terms, like it was written by a University Scholar.

Basically to some up what I'm Saying, does anyone have information on this topic, or knows any links to get information on this topic?

Cheers

(Keep in mind I am in Year 11 not 12, and Im not fussy on what industrial separation of a mixture method you offer me, e.g. crude oil, salt water etc)

Last edited:

funking_you

G'day mate,

This is a very staightforward project, once you get all the information together;

The most common and important industrial mixture to Australia is;

• Bauxite (Aluminium Ore)
You will find all the information on bauxite at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauxite

I used this webpage to create the bauxite case study i teach in my year 11 programme.
Also you'll need to check out
http://www.aluminium.org.au/
Which is the Australian Aluminium Council, their webpage included maps of Australia's mining operations, and some excellent facts and figures.

Some interesting facts to note:
  • Energy is needed to break the chemical bonds in metal ores;
    this is the main point being examined in this project, so keep it in mind when completing it.
  • The minerals industry is actually Australia's largest export earner.
  • Australia is the largest refiner of bauxite.

For more help or any questions send me an email at george@chemistrycoach.com

Cheers
George

adonis1

Ado
HSC
N/A
Cheers, I got worried for a bit that noone would help me overcome my dilemma lol, I appreciate the help, thanks, lol ill tell you my mark over the following weeks, but for now its time to do some work, once again thanks.

lil_miz_gigglez

HSC
Hey guys, I am also a year 11 student in the same dilemma!
There are no websites that are relevant to the assignment, it's unbelievable!
However thanks for posing the question adonis1 and thanks ChemCoach for the help!

funking_you

We are currently working on a chemistry tutorials database, which will provide link all the parts of the Syllabus to the best and most relevent webpages. So whenever you have an assignment you'll be automatically able to access only relevent and real information.
Though it will taking sometime to do properly.

If you have any specific questions about your assignment, just post them in here, or just PM me and i'll get back to you asap.

Cheers,
George

Will Hunting

HSC
I don't mean to change the subject or anything, but I have an assessable Chem prac this Fri (HSC).

I've been told that I can expect it to be quite a routine investigation, so I'm not too fazed. The experiment will concern equilibrium reactions.

George, I have no probs, content-wise, but I'm wondering if you could give me any pointers as to what to keep "at the ready in my mind" on the day, and maybe some advice on the little things to watch out for during both the conducting of the experiment and the writing of the report. Feel free to customise your answers to the topic, equil. reactions. Thanks very much.

- Will

funking_you

Hi

Its a VERY general topic, equilibrium reactions, i'd take it your refering to an assessable prac on module two, the only equilibrium reaction that is mandatory is really the carbon dioxide equilibrium, which would not be conducted under exam conditions, but may appear in a serious of questions, requiring you to explain the concepts involved.
You can get a Chemistry Coach Class Worksheet on equilbrium's at
www.chemistrycoach.com.au/worksheet.pdf
its an abbreviated worksheet on equilibrium, which covers all the concepts you need to master for this part of the syllabus.

Otherwise, try to find out more specifics from your class teacher in the mean time....prob him/her for more details about the assessment!

Cheers,
George

lil_miz_gigglez

HSC
Hey George,

I was just wandering whether you could help me to write a background for my Practical report (experimental Record) for the "decomposition of a carbonate by heat, using appropriate tests to identify carbon dioxide and the oxide as the products of the reaction." I have never been asked to include a background to my chemistry reports until now and i have no idea how to go about it. Any other information about this topic would be appriciated. Thank you :p

Sarah

funking_you

will get back to you asap on this one, just out of time this evening.
Saturday's are very busy.

Thou, in a nutshell, what you need to do if give an 'introduction to the reaction' this included things like, what type fo reaction is it: decomposition, by applying thermal energy, why is the reaction important? and does the reaction occur anywhere is the natural work?, i.e. any 'everyday' examples of this reaction.

nmsahib

HSC
hey thanx i faced the same problem 2, in yr 11 and got same assignment.
those sites are heaps gud
thnx george

biancapo

HSC
hi there i have the same assignmnt the problem is we are not allowed to use any mentals. Would anyone be able to assist me as the assingment is die next week i want to start cracking. thanks

ryanp

HSC
hay chemcoach. do you happen to have any info on the waste issues involved in the sepatation of Bauxite?
if so this will be perfect for my chem assignment.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
LOL, We go this for our assessment as well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Guess I've got this assignment too. :p

iamtherealameri

HSC
Hey, I'm in year 10 doing accel. chem. Are there two separation techniques for bauxite? If so, plz tell me and post the website here. Thanks:)

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
The bauxite is dissolved in sodium hydroxide which produces [Al(OH)4]-. The solution is filtered to remove other ores and Al(OH)3 is precipitated by cooling. The Al2O3 is produced by calcining.

Formulae:
Al2O3 + NaOH --> Na[Al(OH)4]
Na[Al(OH)4] --> Al(OH)3 + NaOH
2 Al(OH)3 --> Al2O3 + 3 H2O

Separation of bauxite by froth floatation does not occur because aluminium metal must be produced by electrolysis due to its reactivity. The resulting concentrate from froth floatation is not pure enough for use in an electrolytic process.

So to answer your question, there is only one separation process for bauxite.

pasta8

HSC
does anyone have anymore helpful sites for baxuite?

stepkons

HSC
Hi George,

I have an assignment on industrial separation methods which result in 2 products!
I'm really stumped as to what to do!!
Can you please help me and give me a few ideas!
Cheers!

Courtneyb322

HSC
I dont understand in the assignment it says "property used by separation processes" what does this mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)