• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

assignments at Uni (2 Viewers)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Hey I was just wondering how many assignments you get at Uni.. is it one per topic/unit/point or is it one a term?

Im doing BA so can anyone help me?

Thankie:D

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If your doing an average workload with 4 subjects a semester. It depends on the course. During my first year, people swear that I had an assignment due just about every week.

The number of assignments will vary depending on how much they are worth and if you have final exams or not.

Its about 3 - 4 for each subject. Times that by 4 subjects, your looking at say about 12 or so a semester. But stupid unis always tend to have assignments due at the same time :mad:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Cape said:
If your doing an average workload with 4 subjects a semester. It depends on the course. During my first year, people swear that I had an assignment due just about every week.

The number of assignments will vary depending on how much they are worth and if you have final exams or not.

Its about 3 - 4 for each subject. Times that by 4 subjects, your looking at say about 12 or so a semester. But stupid unis always tend to have assignments due at the same time :mad:

My life is over

lol

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
flipsyde said:
My life is over

lol
lol ... it isn't that bad. Just plan well in advance ... cause its first year assignments will be easier cause they are introductory subjects. Advice is go to the library early in order to get good books, before everyone gets them, otherwise you will have a crud assignment.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
thanx

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cape again.

I owe ya

T

timbk2

i agree, expect about 3-4 assignments per subject per semester. With usually one Huge one that takes like 4-6 weeks to do. All depends on your course i guess.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
yeah its doable.. I guess its not that bad.. just manage time

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You will find that a week or two before the assignment is due, lecturers ot tutors will go through the assignment and answer any questions that you have on it.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm..yeah, if you think assessment weeks during the HSC were bad...it gets worse at uni, especially if all your assignments for different subjects are due at around the same time.

As someone said, time management is a key, but late/all nighters become more frequent during uni :/

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
12 assignments per semester.... that's like.. 2 years at high school =/ how the hell will anybody have a social life and/or work life ?! all-nighters rock.. got me the best marks in yr 12 ^.^

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
well 12 isnt really 2 years.. I had 9 assignments in a term once.. that was hell.. its cos I had 4 majors, you get ur regular assignments plus u have to hand in certain parts of ur major to show that you have progressed and met all your deadlines adn you have to write a progress report. I know this dodnt happen with everyone, our school just did it to ensure quality...Im glad it only happened twice. :vcross:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Assignments at uni get stressful when u have all of them due at the same time, so many students start the assignments as soon as they get them......which is a very good idea.....even tho i never started my assignments 2-3 days before they were due.....maybe dats y my friends called me the " ever last minute queen" :p

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
I already know what one of my essays are because it was in the 1st yr handbook. its not assessed but used to work on academic writing or something.
reality is kicking in but it isnt due till week 4/5

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
In highschool we were getting about 1-2 assignments per subject per term at my school, some of them barely worth anything.. i doubt uni could be much worse.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
In Programming, I had eight assignments a semester.
In Algorithms I had four assignments.
In Systems, I had eight assignments (four of which were group).
In Discrete Maths, I had ten assignments.
In Statistics (*ugh*), I had four assignments (all group).
In Japanese, I had tests and assignments throughout the semesters (all three - Autumn/Spring/Summer - that I've done it). The subjects for Japanese have been assessed 90% continuous assessment, 10% participation.
In Japanese History I only had two assignments (essays, one worth 30%, and the other worth 40%), and multitudes of little quizzes which added to 30% based on the week's readings.

What I'm trying to say is the subject outline (maybe even the description) will tell you what your assignments are and when due. The most you can do to prepare yourself is expect lots of assignments. However, you might be lucky and have very little. Some subjects (say in the Arts faculty) might not have lots of assignments, but for the few there are, lots of work needs to be done. Moreso than other subjects.

A subject with eight little assignments is no different than a subject with two big ones. I spent more time on my Japanese History essays than I did on my programming ones, since I'm not skillful enough to pull a piece of writing out of my behind. The programming assignments involved me sitting down, reading/re-reading a specification, thinking of an algorithm to solve the problem and converting that algorithm to code. The history assignments involved reading the specification, re-reading the specification. Looking at the options, seeing how much info for an option I could use, deciding on an option. Researching that option. Writing notes on that option. Deciding that I'm going nowhere, and choosing another option. Research, research, research, research. Writing a huge essay with all the information I found (upwards of double to triple the word limit), then cropping it down to size by keeping the important bits, shortening paragraphs. Then rewriting the essays so all using the same language and style is constant. Once the essays were typed, I then had to ensure I got all my refrences correct. I had an annotated bibliography and I used the correct style of refrencing (footnoting, endnoting or in-text).

So what I tried to say, don't judge a subject by how many assignments you get. Look at the weighting, and you'll see you need to put more effort into some assignments then others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)