assoc vrs. asoc (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
lol, i saw the asoc stall today at unsw....
just wondering do u guys and the asoc club compete for industry seminars and recognition and stuf...

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
hey man sorry this q is off topic but r u doin actuarial at new south wales or commerce?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
lol nope, im not a hardcore maths person...so no acst for me...
just accting and finance :)..but yeah, i could choose it as a major...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
pfft. unsw asoc = co-ops. i doubt there will be much benefit for ordinary members.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flyin' said:
ASSOC is better - more organised, and people are more enthusiastic.
ASOC is wannabe ASSOC. I'm biased. =p
thats wot i felt like tellin them 2day :p lol

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
well...a good way to compare the 2 organisations is by looking at the 2 websites...

MQ ASSOC - http://www.mqassoc.org

UNSW ASOC - http://www.asoc.unsw.edu.au

If that's not enough....wot about each yr for the actuarial ball, assoc gets 7 times the sponsor revenue as asoc...

If that's not enough...was there even any1 at the ASOC store? =p Are they giving out stress balls, show bags (with sponsor merchandise), custom assoc pens?
do me a favour, if u happen to walk past their store, can u tell them ASSOC's president wants to remind them that we are still waiting for their contact list which we requested months ago.

edit:
oh i realised i dint answer ur original question...
we don't really compete no. we actually cooperate with each other. but they're really slow and it frustrates us sometimes...
i don't think they are financially as strong as assoc....l
coz assoc is like a money generating machine...and we blow all our money back to our members...

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
jus a quick question guys mala said that the money made by assoc benefits hte members...wot kind of basic benefits should i expect as a member of assoc? dont worry im already going to join i jus wanted to know out of interest...ive spoken to wendy already when she was doing my timetable and shes like convinced me that its important to join :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
all of this yrs unsw asoc execs are co-op scholars. that might make things easier..rite?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
supra, the benefits aren't directly sent to u...its juz that as a member, the more u participate, the more u get back. you pay $10 lifetime membership when you join. if u come to the free bbqs every year, you wouldve gotten that back after ur 4yrs at uni..

but thats just from bbqs..
your formal tickets are heavily subsidised
you get free food at career forums

u get free newsletters and yrbooks

i mean...just 1 career event by itsself...such as qed where we invite real actuaries to come in and talk about what they look for when recruiting students is worth that 10 bux u pay already...

if u want a figure. you'll see this in the yrbook you can pick up wen u come by the assoc stall that in 2004, o-week revenues was around $1500. 2004 total expenses was over 10 times that.

and haha u met wendy already. uno shes the internal vice president of assoc? shouldve gotten her autograph =p

seraphim,
i don't think it matters much...like the top 2 execs of mq's assoc have internships too...and most of last yrs execs had jobs too. it juz comes down the individual and how much they wanna sacrafice their own time. i found last yr, the unsw president, was very involved in stuff like the state src etc. It all sounds fancy, but he was so busy throughout the yr he didn't much much time left for asoc. assoc always had trouble getting quick replies from asoc.

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
so asoc has the potential - but lacks proper leadership / admin to get things done ?

PingPong

HSC
wat is this assoc thing? where/how/when to we join? and do we do anything in it? im abit lost :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Grizzly said:
so asoc has the potential - but lacks proper leadership / admin to get things done ?

well i cant judge their new leaders yet...
but in the past, with join events, assoc usually does most of the work...

PingPong, Assoc is your actuarial student society at macquarie. you can get more info 2moro or during o week at their stall.

flamin'

Yea come join. The VPs and the Pres of ASSOC will make a speech in 1st year lecture on Tuesday so better go to that lecture.

The quality of people in ASSOC are much better. ASOC organisers just get dumped this stuff by way of a general election (i.e popularity gets you pres) and so they don't know how to org things or have limited experience with noone to help them.

ASSOC structure is more professional - 2nd year guys organise (committee), 3rd year people are former committee guys so they know how to organise and help the 2nd years through it. We don't elect our pres based on popularity either - its who does the best job.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
but it juz so happens that assoc's pres is popular =p

ye dats a good point
assoc's top executives are 3rd yrs who have organised stuff in previous yr. whereas asoc's executives are 2nd yrs who have no experience.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
haha u met wendy already. uno shes the internal vice president of assoc? shouldve gotten her autograph =p
LOL yeh i freaked her out coz i knew who she was...ive read all the assoc magazine things and knew wendy was VP of some sort...and i told i her i knew who she was and she musta thought i was a stalker :p

neways yeh shes cool she spent most of the time convincing me to join assoc whilst doin my timetable

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
CrashOveride said:
do ppl need convincing to join

i thought it would be logical
meh some ppl need to b convinced if its worth it or not...i didnt ask to b convinced eitha, she was promoting assoc on her own accord

Last edited:

Elo

HSC
i actually wanted to join the committee last year but i missed it....and now i'm in 2nd year and don't think there will be committee recruitment this year for me. :(

And yeah about the assoc and asoc stuff...i remember an asoc committee member complaining about how quick assoc was to decide everything without them....but i guess they are as u say...a bit too disorganised. :rolleyes:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Supra said:
LOL yeh i freaked her out coz i knew who she was...ive read all the assoc magazine things and knew wendy was VP of some sort...and i told i her i knew who she was and she musta thought i was a stalker :p
hahaha!!! she told me bout that one!

ye i fink most ppl dun need to b convinced to join
but we juz wanna promote ourselves so ppl know we exist...n there always ppl who think 10 bux is too much to pay =/

Elo said:
i actually wanted to join the committee last year but i missed it....and now i'm in 2nd year and don't think there will be committee recruitment this year for me. :(
Oh sure you can. We don't care what yr ur in if u wanna be a delegate. they'll be a recruitment meeting in w1 or w2. feel free to come to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)