asssumed knowledge (1 Viewer)

Kittenslayer

HSC
is assumed knowledge really important? and also the recommended subjects u did in yr 12?

Kittenslayer

HSC
bach of i.t (maq/uts)
assumed knowledge is maths, wondering if its really important to know math ext n others they expect

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well for Semester 1, I did a double degree Bachelor of Software Engineering/Bachelor of Science. I dropped the Software because it didn't interest me as much as I thought it would.

During Semester 1, I did 'Introduction to Programming' and another one which taught you to utilise Spreadsheets and Excel etc.

When I did both of them, there was very LITTLE maths involved. There were no methods from Extension Maths involved. You just needed to know how to add and divide numbers.

I think what they assume is the ability to think logically, which comes with studying Maths Extension 1. This is because writing robust software requires the ability to think outside the box, and the ability to think in a simple and straightforward manner, without sacrificing performance. Very much like a Mathematical proof.

You can have one that does not appear to flow logically, and very difficult to follow... or one that can be read like a book (often called an 'elegant solution'). The same thing applies for Software with coding and programs.

So to answer your question... no. I do not think it is important.

EDIT: Fixed up some terrible grammatical errors lol. Probs still some in there.

Last edited:

Millsy90

HSC
It might help to brush up on your mathematical skills, they will not be going over the maths in the course content. If you are absolutely terrible at maths then maybe brush up on your skills. However if it is not a pre-req it is unlikely to be difficult maths. Not something you should be worrying about in my opinion.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
It might help to brush up on your mathematical skills, they will not be going over the maths in the course content. If you are absolutely terrible at maths then maybe brush up on your skills. However if it is not a pre-req it is unlikely to be difficult maths. Not something you should be worrying about in my opinion.
The reason it is "assumed knowledge" is because the university is giving you the chance to decide if you have enough mathematical skills to handle material in the course. If you have not done some level of maths in the high school certificate you need to brush up on your mathematics if you find that you are struggling. If you are doing any statistics in your degree you need the type of mathematics you did at high school with means and modes etc. For finance units you probably need basic calculus. For accounting you need basic algebra and the ability to add, subtract and use a calculator.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
There are no compulsory maths subjects in the BIT course at UTS as far as I know. It's only if you choose math electives.

My guess is that they display assumed knowledge such as ext maths for this course to turn away drop kicks, so only the smart people apply for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)