Assumed knowledge and bridging courses (1 Viewer)

reuder

Hi all, considering uni courses, and some require an assumed knowledge of mathematics etc. Are bridging courses that necessary, and how intensively do they prepare you for the knowlegde you were suppose to know? Also, I've currently finished HSC biology, and practically no maths knowlegde was needed. How much is maths used in "biology" based courses in uni? (i hope that makes sense)
Thanks all!!!!!!!

Scanorama

HSC
I went to the Discovery day of UOW earlier this year. I was sitting in the class of Informatics and someone asked the lecturer if General Maths is ok. She said it should be fine, some students also did general maths in Year 12 and they have no problem at all.

santaslayer

HSC
reuder said:
Hi all, considering uni courses, and some require an assumed knowledge of mathematics etc. Are bridging courses that necessary, and how intensively do they prepare you for the knowlegde you were suppose to know? Also, I've currently finished HSC biology, and practically no maths knowlegde was needed. How much is maths used in "biology" based courses in uni? (i hope that makes sense)
Thanks all!!!!!!!
Assumed knowledge is not required but highly recommended. The course is actually quite intense and goes through HSC level Maths. It is up to you then to retain that knowledge. :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm doing biology at the moment...having done no bio and only general maths at school.
its really not all that bad, the only real maths type thing we've done are some statistical tests in excel and then interpreted the numbers they threw up.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It all depends where you go and what course you do (as well as which actual SUBJECTS you take). I know at UTS all first year science students take some form of maths, and for biological sciences majors that's Statistics. If you're willing to work a little harder than others during semester then the bridging course isn't necessary - but if you want to get a head start (and hence have an easier time during semester) then the bridging course is a good idea.

I went into uni with no chemistry and took the bridging course. All the stuff we did in those two weeks I've seen again throughout my chemistry subjects since, but I'm still glad I did the bridging course because when that stuff came up again it was all familiar.

reuder

Thanks guys for all your posts! With bridging courses, do they pretty much teach you what you have to know for the various courses, like stats etc, things you would actually use??

Kimmi_R

depends what course your doing, if your doing a nutrition based course and have never done chemistry before you would have to do the bridging to ba able to pass the subject. if it says something is recommended its probably better to just do at asap and then have the knowledge you need when you go into the course to prevent you from struggling.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)