Assumed knowledge differs? (1 Viewer)

hApPy1

HSC
Question!

Umm...why is the assumed knowledge for psychology at UOW "Any two units of English" whereas at both UNSW and USYD its mathematics they assume?

I did not do maths during my senior years, hence dont really have the assumed knowledge of HSC mathematics. Will i be affected too much? Has anyone gotten through psychology without having done maths in year 12?

Any help would be immensly appreciated....i still need to finalise preferences with these questions bugging me...

Thanx ppl :)!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
As far as Im aware the course at UOW has quite a bit of maths built into it--maybe USyd and UNSW don't and hence they assume it?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Because assumed knowledge doesn't mean anything - they don't check up on it. I'm just going to find the assumed knowledge for my course and I'll report back on why I might have needed it in the first 2 years.

edit: my assumed knowledge would have helped me in only one of my subjects. it is fair that they assumed us to have that knowledge however people who did not have the knowledge still passed the subject, they probably found it a little harder as they had to start from scratch. I think you will not be effected too much.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
hApPy1 said:
Question!

Umm...why is the assumed knowledge for psychology at UOW "Any two units of English" whereas at both UNSW and USYD its mathematics they assume?

I did not do maths during my senior years, hence dont really have the assumed knowledge of HSC mathematics. Will i be affected too much? Has anyone gotten through psychology without having done maths in year 12?

Any help would be immensly appreciated....i still need to finalise preferences with these questions bugging me...

Thanx ppl :)!!
For psych at UNSW and USYD, you must learn/do stats, and so mathematics is required. I don't know what the UOW psych is like...

hApPy1

HSC
antarctic said:
There are also bridging courses you can do to catch up on assumed knowledge.

http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/BC/

Hope that helps

Antarctic

Hey guys n gals! that really helped! thanx so much...much more helpful than the moody uni secretaries let me tell u. Does anyone know about this regulation a lady told me of at USYD in B Psychology? Apparently requires u to take up compulsory maths...

Anyone know more and can tell me- twould be GREATLY appreciated!! otherwise im scrapping it off my list...no maths for me :p na uh

A

adamsaclown

hApPy1 said:
Hey guys n gals! that really helped! thanx so much...much more helpful than the moody uni secretaries let me tell u. Does anyone know about this regulation a lady told me of at USYD in B Psychology? Apparently requires u to take up compulsory maths...

Anyone know more and can tell me- twould be GREATLY appreciated!! otherwise im scrapping it off my list...no maths for me :p na uh
yeah thats right... if you do B. Psychology or B Science intending to major in Psychology, you have to do 4 (3 credit point, i.e. 2 lectures/1 tute per week) maths units in first year. But there are 3 levels of maths units @ Usyd, and from what I've heard (from people on the usyd psych message boards), the "life sciences" level units shouldn't be too hard if you do the bridging course. Then in second year, for a Psych major you have to do a 6 credit point statistics unit.

I think if you do Pscyhology as a second major in an Arts degree @ Uysd, you won't have to do the first years maths, but you'll still have to do the 2nd year unit, plus I think Advanced Stats in 3rd year is needed if you want to do Psych honours.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The USyd maths units aren't too hard. Just do discrete instead of stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)