Assumed Knowledge? (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm finishing the HSC this year, and i am aiming to get into UTS for "Bachelor of Information Technology Co-op Scholarship"

There are a few assumed knowledge componenents:
- Mathematics and Any Two units of English
- Compulsory Questionnaire
- Must have citizenship
- Excellent communication skills

I have citizenship, good communication skills, do advanced english, and am sure I will do well in the questionnaire. You need an ATAR of around 90 to get it, im sure hoping i can :D

However i DO NOT do 2 unit Mathematics.. I do GENERAL Mathematics. Would that prevent me from getting into the course? Or is assumed knowledge simply what you really should know to get into the course, but it is NOT a requirement/prerequisite???

Thanks heaps :D

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
"Mathematics and Any Two units of English"

I don't see where it says two unit math.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
"Mathematics and Any Two units of English"

I don't see where it says two unit math.
I would assume that is what it meant, since it doesnt say "Any two units of Maths"

Mathematics by itself is also known as 2 Unit Maths

spence

HSC
If it's assumed, then you should be able to get in without it, but you may be at a disadvantage.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Yeah. Usually they cant refuse you entry on the basis of assumed knowledge.

imo its not that inportant, if you work your ass off youll probably wont need it

dolbinau

HSC
imo its not that inportant, if you work your ass off youll probably wont need it

How do you know it's not importnat?

Just seeing my two brothers attempt (struggle) Computer Science and Engineering (both courses assumed Mathematics) with only General Maths knowledge, it does seem very important.

Take a bridging course if you can.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A

How do you know it's not importnat?

Just seeing my two brothers attempt (struggle) Computer Science and Engineering (both courses assumed Mathematics) with only General Maths knowledge, it does seem very important.

Take a bridging course if you can.
I will most likely be taking a bridging course, but you CANNOT get rejected from a course because of assumed knowledge right?

sickk

HSC
i got into UTS business this year, assumed knowladge MATHEMATICS with only general maths, and am doing the bridging course starting on the 9th (which was free being a UTS student, $300 otherwise), assumed knowledge is not looked at when making offers, just lets you know what level you should be at to do the course

i was also worried abotu this last eyar lol

rowdyroddy

HSC
have fun doing your bridging course.
check the units you will be doing, most likely calculus n what not in first year.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
i got into UTS business this year, assumed knowladge MATHEMATICS with only general maths, and am doing the bridging course starting on the 9th (which was free being a UTS student, $300 otherwise), assumed knowledge is not looked at when making offers, just lets you know what level you should be at to do the course

i was also worried abotu this last eyar lol
Did you have to do the Bridging course? Or could you have gotten into UTS business with only general maths...

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
There's 0 maths in BIT. UTS does no maths in their IT courses. It's simply the assumed knowledge you would have to answer questions based on 2U maths. The maths involved is pre year 10, algebra at worst unless you get into a stupid major, but I think the BIT course is set and there's no majors to pick.

No, you will not get rejected because you don't do 2u maths.

Yes, "mathemetics" = 2u maths, it's the technical name.

sickk

HSC
Did you have to do the Bridging course? Or could you have gotten into UTS business with only general maths...

got into with only general maths, assumed knowledge jsut means you should know it
you dont have to do it to get in but, i chose to do the bridging course because i thought it would be helpful, dont need to though

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
There's a difference between assumed knowledge, prerequisite and recommended knowledge.

sickk

HSC
yeah its a little hazy, but at you can get into the B.IT as long as you meet the ATAR

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
There's 0 maths in BIT. UTS does no maths in their IT courses. It's simply the assumed knowledge you would have to answer questions based on 2U maths. The maths involved is pre year 10, algebra at worst unless you get into a stupid major, but I think the BIT course is set and there's no majors to pick.

No, you will not get rejected because you don't do 2u maths.

Yes, "mathemetics" = 2u maths, it's the technical name.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I just realised I wasn't clear, "The assumed knowledge you would have to answer questions based on 2U maths" refers to the logic required to answer these sorts of questions. They just want the logic from 2U maths, not the actual maths.

When I say "stupid" major, I meant stupid for you, as in picking the "Computing and Data Analytics major" which obviously involves a decent amount of maths. I believe this major would be why the "recommended studies" of EX1 maths is wanted.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I just realised I wasn't clear, "The assumed knowledge you would have to answer questions based on 2U maths" refers to the logic required to answer these sorts of questions. They just want the logic from 2U maths, not the actual maths.

When I say "stupid" major, I meant stupid for you, as in picking the "Computing and Data Analytics major" which obviously involves a decent amount of maths. I believe this major would be why the "recommended studies" of EX1 maths is wanted.
I'm going for the same course you are currently in if i cannot get into Bachelor of IT

As long as they cannot disallow you from getting into the course without 2 unit maths... its all good for me

Gotta get the ATAR then

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
You'll get into B Sc in IT at the very least. If you've got an aim of 90+ no worries. You only need like 78 actual ATAR. You can get 5 bonus points from UTS. As long as you manage a band 3 in IPT, SDD and english you'll get the 5.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
You'll get into B Sc in IT at the very least. If you've got an aim of 90+ no worries. You only need like 78 actual ATAR. You can get 5 bonus points from UTS. As long as you manage a band 3 in IPT, SDD and english you'll get the 5.
Sweet, hopefully i'll see ya there next year :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)