Assumed knowledge (1 Viewer)

Mrkingofstuff

HSC
I don't think I went well in the 2 Unit exam and am considering dropping to general. I'm not struggling with the content, it was a generally hard exam but I know it does count towards my atar.
Is dropping to general and learning everything necessary in the break a viable option? I see a bridging course as an unnecessary expense and I feel that I could learn anything needed.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't think I went well in the 2 Unit exam and am considering dropping to general. I'm not struggling with the content, it was a generally hard exam but I know it does count towards my atar.
Is dropping to general and learning everything necessary in the break a viable option? I see a bridging course as an unnecessary expense and I feel that I could learn anything needed.
Well, it depends on what major you want to do in commerce. If you want to do something with finance, statistics or economics, then not having done 2 unit could be an issue. For most people, maths is quite a difficult subject to learn on your own, so it might be difficult to catch up by yourself. Similarly, from what I have heard bridging courses go quite quickly so it's much harder to learn the content that way. With other majors like marketing, management etc, you probably wont need 2 unit much at all. But, when entering a commerce degree, you want to keep your options open. So I would stick with 2 unit in that sense unless you are really struggling with it badly.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you know it wont count towards your atar, why bother changing? If you change over to general you will have to catch up on all the preliminary work you have missed.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My counter question is why you're going to spend holidays doing something you can learn at no real extra cost right now?

General maths is simply not enough for uni level studies - you learn pretty much nothing of use. So you'd be wasting your time there.

Last edited:

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, If you feel that you will struggle with 2 unit math, it is best to drop down to general. It is more important to do subjects that you feel you will do well in rather than subjects that you feel will rank you higher, as your focus should be to boost your ATAR as that is what many universities will look at when deciding whether or not to issue you with an offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)