Assumed Knowledge (1 Viewer)

Crazy Fingers!

HSC
So for what I wanna do I have to know Maths, Chem and another science, but I only know Maths and chem. Does it really matter that I dont know all of the assumed knowledge?

klh

HSC
some universities have catch up programs ove rht esummer before uni starts if you're nervous but usually first year subjects will start you off that the basic principles than move on to harder stuff in the latler years. If you did it, it would make it easier, but if you work hard, do excercies etc. than dont worry, unless it is a prerequisite [you do need it], assumed just means "ideally"

Crazy Fingers!

HSC
Well I need to know bioilogy and there doesnt appear to be any bridging course for that.

Think Ill just buy one of those excel guides and read that.

When you say first year subjects start off with the basics, how basic is basic? Basic as in HSc level basic?

klh

HSC
whats basic for uni is yr 12 HSC stuff but theyll give you resources and text books etc with ofcourse more detail but you can always ask. they need ot establish a foundation so all can understand, so although the excell boks may help, the first year subjects may elborate more.
i mean after your hsc, there is no doubt that some poepel will wither forget about the theroies etc. so repitiion and input knowledge is first year stuff, than you go on to more critical and anlalyses stuff.

also, if its not available at your uni, look for it at another uni. just say yes your interested or whatever. some unis have free bridging courses fo rspecific subjects and some courses have support services to help with queries and methodology.

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
the concepts that they start you off with generally are pretty basic (HSC standard i mean), it depends on your course though... i mean if you were studying to be a pharmacist, obviously you would have to do chemistry -

i'm doing a speech pathology degree and they also recommended to have chemistry.. i did the bridging course but it only semi-helped for ONE of my subjects, so find out (if you can) what kind of subjects you will have in the first year and it might give you a better indication fo whether you need to do the course or not

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I never did bio at school, but did it last year as part of a science degree, and the first probably 4 weeks or so I struggled to understand what the hell they were talking about (like, seriously, I didn't even know what a prokaryote was, lol) but once I got my head around the language, I was fine. Just be willing to put in the work, it will probably take you 3 times as long to read one page of the textbook, coz you're constantly looking things up, but once you get your basic knowledge down, you'll be fine.
In the end, bio was my fave subject and I did well in it!

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Plus you didnt do any calculus in school, so you're sorta screwed. Id brush up on your maths. UNSW says General Maths is not suitable preparation to study mathematics at university =/

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
make friends in the first week with people who aced the courses in year 12

no worries

klh

HSC
commitment is a big thing...i mean i hate maths and after great commitment to do the best i can by putting in time and effort, i aced it so yes, put time in as well and youll receive the rewards since youve earned them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)