Asus EEE pc Vs Acer aspire one vs MSI wind (1 Viewer)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
hey
I am currently in the market for a new laptop, i want something that is small and i can take anywhere with good battery life , i will not be playing games and will mostly want it for uni next year.
I am down to three choices

The Asus eee pc 901
The acer aspire one (120 GB model)
and The MSI wind.
thanks

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
a toshiba..

Acers are unreliable a lot of people refuse to repair them as they have a bad reputation

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
~aussiegirl!~ said:
a toshiba..

Acers are unreliable a lot of people refuse to repair them as they have a bad reputation
no they do not.

Toshiba's are good i have one now, other then the power input never been soldered to the motherboard properly ( a manufacturer fault) it has been good.

I want a ultra portable notebook though.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
hey
I am currently in the market for a new laptop, i want something that is small and i can take anywhere with good battery life , i will not be playing games and will mostly want it for uni next year.
I am down to three choices

The Asus eee pc 901
The acer aspire one (120 GB model)
and The MSI wind.
thanks
I got a 701 as an ebook reader basically..

i like the MSI wind but the batt life isnt great..

hanging out for one with an HDD and a big battery.. my only concerns.. :)

jovelar

HSC
I bought myself an ASUS G2S and i bought it online, but it was from a website from a shop near my mums, so they send it out, maybe look for things like that, because they can show more on websites then they can display in their shops and stuff. but I always considered Acer as a cheapy brand :S like "no name brands" . . .but then again not everyone has the money to spend lots of money on things, so an Acer would be like the best thing. so yeah. I have had some issues with the ASUS but its just program issues, and "Vista" problems. but other than that its a great laptop brand. I also have a toshiba (I had before this one) and it was really good also. I recommend both brands, but then again my recommendations are based on experience and what I have heard from other people. Sorry I cant actually say which one to buy, just recommending. Good luck with buying it.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
I got a 701 as an ebook reader basically..

i like the MSI wind but the batt life isnt great..

hanging out for one with an HDD and a big battery.. my only concerns.. :)
you can get it with a 6 cell battery.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i've got the MSI wind with the 6 cell battery.
It's a fantastic little machine. I'm using it right now actually.
I get about 5.5 hours battery life just doing basic stuff like word processing and browsing the internet at uni.
I bought mine online which really wasnt an issue for me, but if ur concerned many online computer stores also have shopfronts, especially in sydney.

I wouldnt want to go any less than a ten inch screen though, so that immediately eliminates the Acer (and it's an acer lol).
I tried the ASUS at jb hifi but i hated how there was barely a distinct edge to the touchpad so that when using it i couldnt tell if my finger was still on the touchpad without looking. This is probably something u'd get used to but it's something to consider also.

Lenovo and Dell are both releasing (have released?) their own mini laptops soon (already?) so u might want to look at those if u want brand names.
I love the MSI but, at the time, the ASUS would have been a close second.

EDIT: i just noticed that u were considering the ASUS 901. I thought u were looking at the 1000H. There's no way i'd go with an SSD at this early stage in the technology because the capacity is just too small. i tend to be careful with my laptops too so Hard drive damage isnt an issue. There has also been some contension as to how much battery life as actually gained by SSDs.
Also, the 901 as the name suggests is a 9 inch screen.
If ur gunna go for an ASUS go for the 1000H (or 1000 with the ssd if ur crazy). U'll value the extra real estate on ur screen and the storage capacity provided by a traditional hard drive.

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
The_highwayman said:
i've got the MSI wind with the 6 cell battery.
It's a fantastic little machine. I'm using it right now actually.
I get about 5.5 hours battery life just doing basic stuff like word processing and browsing the internet at uni.
I bought mine online which really wasnt an issue for me, but if ur concerned many online computer stores also have shopfronts, especially in sydney.

I wouldnt want to go any less than a ten inch screen though, so that immediately eliminates the Acer (and it's an acer lol).
I tried the ASUS at jb hifi but i hated how there was barely a distinct edge to the touchpad so that when using it i couldnt tell if my finger was still on the touchpad without looking. This is probably something u'd get used to but it's something to consider also.

Lenovo and Dell are both releasing (have released?) their own mini laptops soon (already?) so u might want to look at those if u want brand names.
I love the MSI but, at the time, the ASUS would have been a close second.

EDIT: i just noticed that u were considering the ASUS 901. I thought u were looking at the 1000H. There's no way i'd go with an SSD at this early stage in the technology because the capacity is just too small. i tend to be careful with my laptops too so Hard drive damage isnt an issue. There has also been some contension as to how much battery life as actually gained by SSDs.
Also, the 901 as the name suggests is a 9 inch screen.
If ur gunna go for an ASUS go for the 1000H (or 1000 with the ssd if ur crazy). U'll value the extra real estate on ur screen and the storage capacity provided by a traditional hard drive.
thanks heaps yeah i think that i am going to go for the MSI wind, buying online is not an issue most computers in our house has been buyed online.
i think the 6-cell MSI wind is what i am going to get cos i need hard-drive space for all my music which is currently on my ipod.

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
thanks heaps yeah i think that i am going to go for the MSI wind, buying online is not an issue most computers in our house has been buyed online.
i think the 6-cell MSI wind is what i am going to get cos i need hard-drive space for all my music which is currently on my ipod.
i'm not the one to pick mistakes on an internet forum, but BUYED?!?! come on now! BOUGHT!

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
oh yeah and to reiterate the first response.

acers are shit. dont kid yourself mang.
really cos i have heard nothing but good and have had nothing but good experiences with them..
my first computer was an acer and my brothers is an acer and i have not had a problem with either, there support is great, from my experience when we called with a question and I know that my friends who have had them all have high opinions of them.

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
really cos i have heard nothing but good and have had nothing but good experiences with them..
my first computer was an acer and my brothers is an acer and i have not had a problem with either, there support is great, from my experience when we called with a question and I know that my friends who have had them all have high opinions of them.
acers are pretty good. not the best, but they're not too bad.

I've been using an acer laptop for years now, and i haven't had any significant problems with it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
problems ive heard;
- specifications dont meet what is listed. then again, my pc was meant to be 320 GB and it's 290 (cuts self)
- cheap and nasty, crash a lot, over heat

but you're getting what you pay for. i guess for a lower end price, it's probably not a bad deal, but id rather spend a little extra and get something more durable

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
problems ive heard;
- specifications dont meet what is listed. then again, my pc was meant to be 320 GB and it's 290 (cuts self)
- cheap and nasty, crash a lot, over heat

but you're getting what you pay for. i guess for a lower end price, it's probably not a bad deal, but id rather spend a little extra and get something more durable
actually the first point happened when we got my brother's acer but the specs were better then what we thought we were getting, with hard-drive space you always should read the fine print, I know apple for example measures a GB using 1000MB when a GB is actually 1024MB.
if your hard drive is like 298 GB then this is what would of happened in your case katie. It does make a big difference in big hard drives.

EIDT with the nasty,crash overheat thing, never had that problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)