• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ASX Share Market Game ON NOW! (1 Viewer)

ShadowSwifter

HSC
Hey guys:

My school recently registered us to participate in the ASX Share Market Game and it will be starting on the 15th of March. So any of you guys doing it? If so what companies are you going for?

PrettyVacant

HSC
My friends did that last year and weren't very good at it. =D

cs01001

HSC
I did the ASX game back in year 9 or 10. You get to learn about hwo thje shares market works and stuff. If you win, you also get some really good prizes!

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
I am doing it, well i put my name down for it and i wasn't aware that it started today! Thats how much we get told! Plus theres a year 11 retreat on for today and tomorrow which i'm not attending so i will probably find out monday?

kony

HSC
tips for those doing the asx game:

there are basically two ways to win:

1. share values generally rises in the duration of the game - always have 100% of your money in shares. if you want to win (since losing whatever amount of money doesn't matter), you need to have maximum profits.

2. if sharemarket is generally dropping, then don't do anything. keep your $50000 until the last week. Then look at the shares that dropped the most in the previous week. buy as many as you can of the 4 bottom shares, and hope they go up in the last week.

i came 3rd in nsw in 2004, using method 1, since just about every share went up in that 10 weeks.

there was also someone from Perth that won using method 2 in 2005. i believe they bought a single share on the 2nd last day of the game, and that was the only share they bought in the whole game. They came either 1st or 2nd in WA.

as for a normal, fluctuating market, the trick is to analyse patterns in sharemarket prices, and read the paper about possible takeovers. in 2004, I remember buying as many shares as i could in a petroleum company, and then a few days later, there was a takeover bid. the shares rose from $2.00 to $7.00. i shot straight up from around 200th in nsw to 15th. don't buy expensive stocks and don't buy banks. buy technology, resources.

good luck.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Do we get any money if we win?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
Yes the winners and the winning school get monetary prizes.

There will be three (3) national prize winners. The three Participants with the highest valued Game portfolios at the end of the Game in Australia, as determined by the ASX Group, will be declared the national prize winners. A cash prize will be awarded to the top three (3) National prize-winners in addition to a cash prize for their respective schools.

The three (3) prizes for the National winners’ schools are as follows:

1st Prize - $3000.00

2nd Prize - $2000.00

3rd Prize - $1000.00

The three (3) prizes for the National winning Participants are as follows:

1st Prize - $300.00**

2nd Prize - $200.00**

3rd Prize - $100.00**

The prize for the winning school in each state division is as follows:

1st Prize - $2000.00

There will be three (3) prize winners in each state division. The three (3) Participants with the highest valued Game portfolio at the end of the Game, as determined by the ASX Group, will be declared the prize winners in their respective state division.

The prizes for each state division are as follows:

1st Prize - $800.00**

2nd Prize - $400.00**

3rd Prize - $250.00**

** total amount to be equally shared among winning syndicate members

For more info see here.
Thats enough evidence to make me enter =)

jkylk

HSC
It's starting on the 15th of March?? How come i don't know about it and i registered? Hmm... Maybe because i don't do economics. >.<

Which industries are doing well now?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
So over it, i had a competition with friends last year on the quickest way to loose your money.

fiona.p

HSC
i went in this for the last 2 years...didnt earn much money. Earned like $200.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Does your school have to sign you up or can you just do it yourself? I'm interested in this and my school wouldn't even know what the ASX is.

Also, is it too late?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Yeah, I saw the Public one, but you need to be over 18.... Maybe I could just fake it.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Yeah, sorry about that - used to double posting on another forum even though I post more on here now. o_O

Or I could just sign up under their name and do everything myself.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
This is the first time I've played it. I don't know, the prizes are cool so it seems worth doing, but I know jackshit of the stockmarket. My friend and I will probably end up having to sell everything just so we don't get in debt.

jkylk

HSC
~aussiegirl!~ said:
i really want to start this but my school hasn't even let us know that it has started! err
Same here!!! =O lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)