Atar calculations? (1 Viewer)

Moey2200

HSC
I just want to ask does the school mark have anything to do with atar calculation
and if so, how do they get scaled, do they get scaled approximately on how you went in your finals ?
And if they do get scaled lets say you didnt do as good in your finals but you done pretty well in your school marks, does your overall mark go down
The scenario im facing is that I done good in some exams better then my school marks
how ever..... in some other exams I think I done good in my school marks but not as good in my externals
Can someone help me out with this unending crisis I dont know how it works
Some people tell me your atar is 50:50 of your scaled school mark and your scaled hsc mark
I know your atar is your position in comparision to the rest of the state
I know that they have to try considering all schools at a similar difficulty ie. one school might give hard exams one school might give easy exams
I know that your hsc raw mark gets scaled due to the difficulty of the exam
What im not understanding is for example...
I got 83 in my internals
Comes the externals I get about 75-79 (after scaling)
What would that be counted this is Maths 2unit

And another problem im facing is arabic continuers, no one really told me when I was in year 10 that arabic continuers would destroy my atar mark, now I suddenly discover that if I get a 70 my mark will be counted as a less than 30 due to matrix and other atar calculators why is that and is this true....?

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Your cumulative school assessment marks are sent as a whole cohort and is a major determinant in calculating your MODERATED ASSESSMENT mark which is averaged with your EXAMINATION mark (after alignment of raw marks) to give your HSC mark - 50:50 as you have said. Your moderated assessment mark is dependent on your cumulative assessment mark relative to that of others in your school cohort (ie. correlating to your subject ranks in your cohort) as well as the lowest and highest EXAMINATION mark achieved by your school cohort in the specified subject.

So not only is your cumulative mark is important but also the strength of your cohort (this is why school ranking is important for determining ATAR estimate). So moderated assessment mark is dependent on your cohort's results in the HSC exam and your school cumulative mark whilst your examination mark is independent of any school marks but the effort you put on the day compared to the rest of the state subject cohort.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html Look here if you are unsure

If you did well in school (high ranking/cumulative mark compared to other students in your cohort) but not as good in the HSC - you would expect your moderated assessment mark to be higher than your HSC examination mark which average to give your HSC mark.

Also, if you got 75-79 raw for 2U it should align to high band 5. Since different schools have different exams with varying difficulty compared to the actual HSC exam, your school marks aren't entirely a truthful indicator of your HSC mark.

Also, alignment and scaling are different processes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)