ATAR Calculators (1 Viewer)

hschelper01

HSC
ATAR calculators are as accurate as one’s prediction for their study scores - and these are very rarely accurate.

Therefore predominantly most of the inaccuracy in ATAR will stem from one’s predictions, not the calculator itself. I used Talent100 last year - it predicted my ATAR to be 96.25 and it was way off. Talent100 is good, however, at giving an idea of what you should be aiming for - check it out here:

Also, the changing circumstances (COVID-19 and new syllabus) will mean that the scaling/marking of exams will be very different from last year and previous years.

dasfas

HSC
Not for the new syllabus, they haven't updated the databases

quickoats

HSC
ATAR calculators are only really useful in the 6-7 hours between HSC marks and ATAR - that’s if they don’t all crash during that time.

If your school is very consistent, you might be able to align your rank in a subject to the typical HSC mark for that position, but otherwise, putting your weighted raw marks into a calculator won’t be very accurate at all, as they are much likely to differ.

_rakelt

HSC
Yeah atar calculators are only accurate AFTER you received your OFFICIAL individual subject marks from nesa.

I used my trial marks to put into the atar calc and it said I was gonna get 69.95 so its not very accurate. However, as I mentioned before, I put my official individual subject marks from nesa and it was a 0.2 difference.

Nikolerak

HSC
It is a well known fact that how well (or bad) your cohort does, affects your ATAR. Does this include only those students who do the same subjects?

hschelper01

HSC
It is a well known fact that how well (or bad) your cohort does, affects your ATAR. Does this include only those students who do the same subjects?
School ranking really doesn't have an impact on how your HSC marks will turn out, it's your cohort. However, higher-ranking schools tend to have more "high achieving" students, so it will usually be accompanied by strong cohorts. Therefore your moderated HSC assessment marks will usually be much higher than that of a lower-ranked school if you're not at the top. Just ensure you are close to the top and be 1st or very close to 1st as possible.

Just giving an example. If your ranked 1st in a high ranking school or something close to that, but you don't come 1st in externals and say get a 90 exam mark but someone in your cohort gets a 100 exam mark, your moderated assessment will be 100, and you'll end up with a 95 HSC mark. Whereas say in a low ranked school you get a 90 and are first internally, you probably won't have someone that may do better in the external exam, therefore your moderated assessment mark and exam mark will be the same and final HSC mark will be 90.

Nikolerak

HSC
School ranking really doesn't have an impact on how your HSC marks will turn out, it's your cohort. However, higher-ranking schools tend to have more "high achieving" students, so it will usually be accompanied by strong cohorts. Therefore your moderated HSC assessment marks will usually be much higher than that of a lower-ranked school if you're not at the top. Just ensure you are close to the top and be 1st or very close to 1st as possible.

Just giving an example. If your ranked 1st in a high ranking school or something close to that, but you don't come 1st in externals and say get a 90 exam mark but someone in your cohort gets a 100 exam mark, your moderated assessment will be 100, and you'll end up with a 95 HSC mark. Whereas say in a low ranked school you get a 90 and are first internally, you probably won't have someone that may do better in the external exam, therefore your moderated assessment mark and exam mark will be the same and final HSC mark will be 90.
Thanks. From this my understanding is that only the students in my cohort who are doing the same subjects as me will influence my scores?

quickoats

HSC
Not really a well known fact, rather, a common misconception. Your performance is mainly what affects your final HSC mark. Generally, those in “better” schools have clustered results in the higher bands, so if you end up “messing up” the external exam, your internal mark would be quite accurate relative to your rank in school (i.e. your rank neighbours are VERY close to you)

Thanks. From this my understanding is that only the students in my cohort who are doing the same subjects as me will influence my scores?
Only you are responsible for you scores. If your performance is inconsistent between internals and HSC, then your internal mark will be influenced by your cohort. E.g if you come last internally, your internal will be the bottom mark achieved by a member of your cohort in your HSC. In “lower” schools, the gaps and spaces between students are larger, so if you “mess up”, your given internal mark may be further from what you would’ve gotten if you performed consistently (your rank neighbours are further from you).

tl;dr
- it’s quite unlikely that you’ll be in the position that your marks are affected by you cohort - this requires you to be inconsistent with your performance.
- you will not be “dragged down” because your cohort does shit... you will be entitled to the mark you earn in the final exam. If you are at the top and are worried about being “dragged down”, you won’t. Being ahead means that you will get every mark you earn in the final hsc exam.
- your ATAR will not be reduced if you go to a lower ranking school, there is not quota on the ATARS given to schools

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Do not worry about such things. I'll explain why.

If you take a student from James Ruse for example and put them into a rank 500 school but keep every single factor constant such as how hard the student works, how good/bad the teachers are, how much tutoring he/she gets, how much motivation he/she has, then the cohort will not at all negatively influence your scores. So do not worry!

The only problem is that switching to such a lower level schools changes all the factors mentioned above. The students motivation will probably be lower because of an unmotivated cohort, he/she may not have the incentive to work harder etc etc. They are all indirectly related to your ATAR because they are all things that YOU can control. All I say is worry about your own marks and focus on just doing well. Also don't think just because your first in your school you are really good compared to the state. Always push yourself to be even better EVEN if your 1st in your school for whatever subject. Maybe you came first with 80%, well push your self to get 90% and so forth.

hschelper01

HSC

If you take a student from James Ruse for example and put them into a rank 500 school but keep every single factor constant such as how hard the student works, how good/bad the teachers are, how much tutoring he/she gets, how much motivation he/she has, then the cohort will not at all negatively influence your scores. So do not worry!

The only problem is that switching to such a lower level schools changes all the factors mentioned above. The students motivation will probably be lower because of an unmotivated cohort, he/she may not have the incentive to work harder etc etc. They are all indirectly related to your ATAR because they are all things that YOU can control. All I say is worry about your own marks and focus on just doing well. Also don't think just because your first in your school you are really good compared to the state. Always push yourself to be even better EVEN if your 1st in your school for whatever subject. Maybe you came first with 80%, well push your self to get 90% and so forth.
Good explanation :biggrin:

Last edited:

boombaboom

HSC

Is it possible for your mark to be moderated down?

Potato Sticks

HSC

Paradoxically, being 1st in a lower ranking school may work to your advantage if you feel HSC style questions are to your liking, as opposed to your school internals. In effect, your HSC would be worth 100% of your mark!

Also I should say 1st in any school is rarely only 80% or so, as the ranking of the school correlates with the difficult of the exams. Achieving Marks consistently close to 100% e.g 98% is extremely difficult due to factors such as careless errors, not dependent on your ability.

Nikolerak

HSC

Thanks. From this I believe only the students in my cohort who are doing the same subjects as me will influence my scores
Yes, of course! Otherwise we’ll see 100s everywhere :)
Can you give an example when it's moderated down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)