1/21 (1st for trial)

Chemistry
3/42 (2nd for trial)

Physics
8/44 (5th for trial)

SCHOOL RANKS ARE:
2008: 154
2007: 60

I predict my grade will do better than last year, though.

Thanks heaps.

shaon0

HSC
cumulative ranks are as follow:

English adv.
13/63 (ranked 5th for trial exam)

mathematics
3/68 (1st for trial exam)

maths ext 1.
8/43 (6th for trial exam)

biology
1/21 (1st for trial)

chemistry
3/42 (2nd for trial)

physics
8/44 (5th for trial)

school ranks are:
2008: 154
2007: 60

i predict my grade will do better than last year, though.

Thanks heaps.
99+

flaminwaffle

HSC
shaon made me jump for a second, haha. i just need 95 for my second choice anyway. and SAM was telling me i'd get low 90s with my trial marks :S

How 'high' is high 90s though? Can i assume around 96?

Last edited:

Gigabyte

HSC
I don't get it

what is most important, mark or your internal ranking ???

lets say my internal mark is 71 but i'm first and my school is ranked 500S, how would that help me ??

sorry for this random question :hammer:

flaminwaffle

HSC
well, they're both rather important. say you're getting ranked 50/100 for a subject in a school that's ranked top 10 in the state. even though your rank isnt great, you're probably still doing very well by comparison to the remainder of the state, so you'd still get great in the external exams. this would improve your aligned school marks and youd still get a great atar.

on the other hand, if you were ranked first in a subject in a school that was ranked 500, it's no real indiciation of ability. You could be getting 50% in every assessment and still be getting first, if your grade was that bad. so you'd still do badly in the external exams and receive a low atar. But if youre getting genuinely good marks in a school of rank 500, and get well in the externals then you can still get a good atar.

if that doesnt make any sense to you then this might: everybody sits the same external hsc exam so that is used as a yardstick to judge a student's ability and to align the assessment marks. on the other hand, every school has different assessments, marked by 'easier' and 'harder' teachers, so that cannot be used as a scale.

Im 95% sure what i said is correct ^_^ somebody correct me if im wrong.

alternatively, you could just be like me and not give a shit about the technicalities of the HSC. just do the best you can and get as high as your abilities allow. that makes the technicalities of the HSC irrelevant.

anybody else got any estimates for me?

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
97+

Could be 98+ easily if you push your marks up a bit and even 99+ if and only if you ace physics and 3U maths (as well as everything else lol) :)

well, they're both rather important. say you're getting ranked 50/100 for a subject in a school that's ranked top 10 in the state. even though your rank isnt great, you're probably still doing very well by comparison to the remainder of the state, so you'd still get great in the external exams. this would improve your aligned school marks and youd still get a great atar.

on the other hand, if you were ranked first in a subject in a school that was ranked 500, it's no real indiciation of ability. You could be getting 50% in every assessment and still be getting first, if your grade was that bad. so you'd still do badly in the external exams and receive a low atar. But if youre getting genuinely good marks in a school of rank 500, and get well in the externals then you can still get a good atar.

if that doesnt make any sense to you then this might: everybody sits the same external hsc exam so that is used as a yardstick to judge a student's ability and to align the assessment marks. on the other hand, every school has different assessments, marked by 'easier' and 'harder' teachers, so that cannot be used as a scale.

Im 95% sure what i said is correct ^_^ somebody correct me if im wrong.

alternatively, you could just be like me and not give a shit about the technicalities of the HSC. just do the best you can and get as high as your abilities allow. that makes the technicalities of the HSC irrelevant.

anybody else got any estimates for me?
That's the basic gist of it. Also note though that if you're ranked 1st for all subjects at any school (doesn't matter if it's the worst school in the state) then your resulting ATAR is based on your HSC performance - your class mates don't affect you at all :)

flaminwaffle

HSC
Thanks anna. Best of luck with your 99+! You seem like you'll get it easy though haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)