Atar Estimate (1 Viewer)

Confound

HSC
School Rank: 400s I don't even know why we're ranked in 400s, we're not that bad lol

Ranks:
Standard English: 19/194
Mathematics (2u): 8/24
Business Studies: 3/45 (Very strong top 5, barely any difference between rank 1 and rank 5)
Information Processes and Technology: 2/20
Visual art: 1/60

Trial exam marks:
English: 75%
Maths: 85%
Business: 98%
IPT: 85%
Art: 94%

Estimated raw hsc marks:
English: 80%ish
Maths: 70%
Business: 92%+
IPT: 85-90%ish
Art: 94%+ (I know for sure I received a 47-50/50 for my body of work (prac) marks due to it being nominated for art express. And since Art was the last exam, I went all out or nothing. Prac and theory count for 50% each)

All I really need is an 81 atar, but am I extremely far off from 95? like no chance at all?

Last edited:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
School Rank: 400s

Ranks:
Standard English: 19/194
Mathematics (2u): 8/24
Business Studies: 3/45
Information Processes and Technology: 2/20
Visual art: 1/60

Estimated raw marks:
English: 80-88%
Maths: 70%
Business: 94-99%
IPT: 85-92%
Art: 94-99%

All I really need is an 81 atar, but am I extremely far off from 95? like no chance at all?
Hi, based on your estimates/ranks I'd say 96+ definitely.
Just a comment: a school in the 400s doesn't typically get band sixes and when they do it's typically only the person coming first. In business you're anticipating to get a 94-99% which is very close if not a state rank, you may have overestimated it. That estimated raw mark will also put you close if not in a band 6 range, considering you're 19th in a 400s school it's unlikely that you'd be one of the 50ish people who get a b6 in standard. (possibly reconsider your estimates for each subject based on your trial results)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I'm also guessing that you haven't accounted for the harsh marking schemes of the HSC. It's almost impossible for a kid ranked 3rd at a 400 school to raw between 94 and 99, and your other estimates look a lot higher than your ranks indicate.

Confound

HSC
Hi, based on your estimates/ranks I'd say 96+ definitely.
Just a comment: a school in the 400s doesn't typically get band sixes and when they do it's typically only the person coming first. In business you're anticipating to get a 94-99% which is very close if not a state rank, you may have overestimated it. That estimated raw mark will also put you close if not in a band 6 range, considering you're 19th in a 400s school it's unlikely that you'd be one of the 50ish people who get a b6 in standard. (possibly reconsider your estimates for each subject based on your trial results)
Alright I'll estimate my expected raws again based on my trial results

Confound

HSC
I'm also guessing that you haven't accounted for the harsh marking schemes of the HSC. It's almost impossible for a kid ranked 3rd at a 400 school to raw between 94 and 99, and your other estimates look a lot higher than your ranks indicate.
Shouldn't you be safe if you meet the marking criteria?

Confound

HSC
dw u will get 81 for sure
I tell people i'm aiming for 81, but i'm really hoping for 95 for usyd lol, which I know will not happen, but i'm still hoping

I should've done advanced english tbh

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Shouldn't you be safe if you meet the marking criteria?
Theoretically, but my teachers who have had 10+ years marking experience told me how it works, especially for longer response questions. They set very specific marking criteria and you need to meet all criteria to gain full marks. If you miss out on one thing from that criteria, you don't get the marks. Your business trial result also indicates to me that your teacher was not marking to HSC standards, unless there are 4 or 5 people in your cohort that are going to state rank, so you might think that you have answered the question correctly, but to HSC standards, you might have missed out on some key points that may cost you some marks.

Confound

HSC
Theoretically, but my teachers who have had 10+ years marking experience told me how it works, especially for longer response questions. They set very specific marking criteria and you need to meet all criteria to gain full marks. If you miss out on one thing from that criteria, you don't get the marks. Your business trial result also indicates to me that your teacher was not marking to HSC standards, unless there are 4 or 5 people in your cohort that are going to state rank, so you might think that you have answered the question correctly, but to HSC standards, you might have missed out on some key points that may cost you some marks.
You do know that business studies is not a very hard subject and it scales poorly right? and are you telling me that there is much harder criteria to meet when it comes to the actual HSC than anything else that has being going on within the school?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
You do know that business studies is not a very hard subject and it scales poorly right? and are you telling me that there is much harder criteria to meet when it comes to the actual HSC than anything else that has being going on within the school?
Some schools have markers that haven't done HSC marking, hence their marking might not be up to HSC standard. Although business might not be very hard and aligns poorly, the free response questions do have the same strict marking criteria as all other HSC courses that might make you lose marks that your teacher has been awarding.
Remember, this is just my opinion. I've never met you or your teacher, but I have heard of this situation before.

Confound

HSC
Some schools have markers that haven't done HSC marking, hence their marking might not be up to HSC standard. Although business might not be very hard and aligns poorly, the free response questions do have the same strict marking criteria as all other HSC courses that might make you lose marks that your teacher has been awarding.
Remember, this is just my opinion. I've never met you or your teacher, but I have heard of this situation before.
Wow this changes everything.. I am now doubting the competence of all of my teachers

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
bcom @usyd is 95, very low chance of getting in with your marks but idk maybe bonus marks may help a bit, doubt it though,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)