Atar Estimate (2 Viewers)

Assad

HSC
Hey could someone give me an Atar estimate

Here are my marks
English adv: 70% (ranked like 30) (total: 80)
Maths X1: 84% (5th i think) (total 30)
Maths adv: 86% (top 10 - like 7ish) (total: 60?)
Biology: 84% (12 or so - I think) (70 total)
Chemistry: 91% (4th or so) (40 total)
Business: 89% (5th) (70 total)

School rank: 300 - Last year cohort was pre bad, I think my cohort will be closer to 250
Number of band 6s total in 2020: 47

Do you think its still achievable to get a 95 atar or no?
I rlly slacked off at the start of the year and like my marks picked up towards the second half, but it wasn't enough to lift any of my averages past the band 6 range.
Im really worried about english messing up my entire atar idk

Disclaimer: Idk my exact ranks yet - these are rough as I haven't gotten reports yet

Here are also my trial marks, as some people say use those (these were taken online tho - OPEN BOOK - so idk if these even mean anything - weighed only 15% too)

English: 78% (top 20)
Maths adv: 92% (1st)
Maths X1: 86% (idk - top 10 roughly)
Business: 95% (2nd)
Chem: 85% (top 10 - roughly)
Bio: 98% (1st)

Quote Reply

Last edited:

Assad

HSC
maybe state how many people are in each of your cohorts cause you can really tell a lot if you are rank 1 in a cohort of 5 people than if you were rank 1 in a cohort of 150 people.
Each Cohort has about 50 - 100 kids (I cant remember exact - but i put some up there anyways - besides X1 maths which is like 20 - 30)

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hey could someone give me an Atar estimate

Here are my marks
English adv: 70% (ranked like 30) (total: 80)
Maths X1: 84% (5th i think) (total 30)
Maths adv: 86% (top 10 - like 7ish) (total: 60?)
Biology: 84% (12 or so - I think) (70 total)
Chemistry: 91% (4th or so) (40 total)
Business: 89% (5th) (70 total)

School rank: 300 - Last year cohort was pre bad, I think my cohort will be closer to 250
Number of band 6s total in 2020: 47

Do you think its still achievable to get a 95 atar or no?
I rlly slacked off at the start of the year and like my marks picked up towards the second half, but it wasn't enough to lift any of my averages past the band 6 range.
Im really worried about english messing up my entire atar idk

Disclaimer: Idk my exact ranks yet - these are rough as I haven't gotten reports yet

Here are also my trial marks, as some people say use those (these were taken online tho - OPEN BOOK - so idk if these even mean anything - weighed only 15% too)

English: 78% (top 20)
Maths adv: 92% (1st)
Maths X1: 86% (idk - top 10 roughly)
Business: 95% (2nd)
Chem: 85% (top 10 - roughly)
Bio: 98% (1st)

Quote Reply
If you get 90+ in all of them (besides english perhaps try and get to an 80 HSC mark). Then you could get 94-95 haha. But depends on your school and how competitive your mates are.

Assad

HSC
If you get 90+ in all of them (besides english perhaps try and get to an 80 HSC mark). Then you could get 94-95 haha. But depends on your school and how competitive your mates are.
But would i have to get like high 90s in the hsc, as its averaged out right? If my internal mark is a 86 (for maths advanced - which as i go to a low rank school of 300, it would either stay the same once moderated, or go even lower) that would mean i need a 95 in the hsc to get a 90 total? Cuz like i can get a band 6 probs in the hsc, just a low band 6, not a state rank. And a 80 overall in english means I need a 90 in the hsc (if 70 is my internal mark) - which, like ik my limits - and that's kinda beyond them lmao
Like im working decnt rn (7ish hours study a day) but its gonna be pre depressing all this work for a borderline 90 atar at the end of the day

Assad

HSC
LMAO thats legit me
my english rank is legit atrocious whereas all my other ranks are actually good. makes me so sad
Bruh, and I've been sweating so hard for english. I have been doing papers since like July for English, and my tutors all say im a capable student and what not. But when i do an eng assessment, BANG phat 14/20 or like a 12 or sum shit. Its so depressing.

uniqueusername1

HSC
But would i have to get like high 90s in the hsc, as its averaged out right? If my internal mark is a 86 (for maths advanced - which as i go to a low rank school of 300, it would either stay the same once moderated, or go even lower) that would mean i need a 95 in the hsc to get a 90 total? Cuz like i can get a band 6 probs in the hsc, just a low band 6, not a state rank. And a 80 overall in english means I need a 90 in the hsc (if 70 is my internal mark) - which, like ik my limits - and that's kinda beyond them lmao
Like im working decnt rn (7ish hours study a day) but its gonna be pre depressing all this work for a borderline 90 atar at the end of the day
lol i don't think it works like that. Our teacher told us that marks first get alligned (markers determine if its a band 5 or band 6) then they get scaled. So you could get a low 70 and it could end up in the 80s (assuming its like a decently hard subject like physics).

You never know your actual mark it gets alligned + scaled i'm pretty sure. The others can correct me if i'm wrong.

specificagent1

HSC
lol i don't think it works like that. Our teacher told us that marks first get alligned (markers determine if its a band 5 or band 6) then they get scaled. So you could get a low 70 and it could end up in the 80s (assuming its like a decently hard subject like physics).

You never know your actual mark it gets alligned + scaled i'm pretty sure. The others can correct me if i'm wrong.
your final hsc mark is after alignment and moderation. Scaling only occurs when calculating your ATAR

Assad

HSC

Yea but If i'm ranked like 30th in a subject, my internal mark will be whatever the 30th highest scaled mark is in the hsc, in my cohort. Now if that 30th highest mark raw was like 60%, but then scales to a 70%, I would end up with a 70 as my internal mark then. Is that correct?

Cuz thats rlly just relying on my cohort to do well, and considering i got a rank 300 school, thats not happening lmaooo

uniqueusername1

HSC
Yea but If i'm ranked like 30th in a subject, my internal mark will be whatever the 30th highest scaled mark is in the hsc, in my cohort. Now if that 30th highest mark raw was like 60%, but then scales to a 70%, I would end up with a 70 as my internal mark then. Is that correct?

Cuz thats rlly just relying on my cohort to do well, and considering i got a rank 300 school, thats not happening lmaooo
Damn that does make it harder. But, now you gotta make sure you do REALLY well in HSC. At least you'll get to keep that 50% and hopefully it pushes you up to 94-95.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Also keep in mind its really hard to get into med with a 95 unless your UCAT + interview is insanely good.

Assad

HSC
Also keep in mind its really hard to get into med with a 95 unless your UCAT + interview is insanely good.
I sat UCAT and got 92nd percentile (3010). I was hoping that i would apply for WSU or UNE, in which they have a hurdle system (get the minimum atar req, and then atar is discarded if I recall correctly - applicants ranked on interview/UCAT performance).

uniqueusername1

HSC
I sat UCAT and got 92nd percentile (3010). I was hoping that i would apply for WSU or UNE, in which they have a hurdle system (get the minimum atar req, and then atar is discarded if I recall correctly - applicants ranked on interview/UCAT performance).
Bro thats tough. I recall greninja saying the cut-off was 93 percentile.

Assad

HSC
welp, i ended up with a 92.75, so ur prediction isnt that off lmao. Off to some random degree now i think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)