• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ATAR estimation (1 Viewer)

ajtho777

HSC
Hi all,

I'm a bit stressed out and would really like someone's opinion regarding what my ATAR could be. My school was ranked between 100-105 last year. The success rate was around 16.8% and there were 157 Band 6s/E4s. I'll attach my info as such: Subject : Overall Marks with weighting applied : Rank.

English Advanced : 68% : 40/66
Mathematics Extension 1 : 92% : 2/42
Mathematics Extension 2 : 87%: 2/15
Chemistry : 75%-80% : 11/30
Physics : 78.4% : 9/26
Investigating Science : 76%-82% : 6/27

If there is anything missing, please let me know.

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I'm a bit stressed out and would really like someone's opinion regarding what my ATAR could be. My school was ranked between 100-105 last year. The success rate was around 16.8% and there were 157 Band 6s/E4s. I'll attach my info as such: Subject : Overall Marks with weighting applied : Rank.

English Advanced : 68% : 40/66
Mathematics Extension 1 : 92% : 2/42
Mathematics Extension 2 : 87%: 2/15
Chemistry : 75%-80% : 11/30
Physics : 78.4% : 9/26
Investigating Science : 76%-82% : 6/27

If there is anything missing, please let me know.
Based on the information you provided, I’ll give you an estimated ATAR range, but keep in mind it is just an approximation since it depends on scaling, your school’s overall performance, and how others perform across the state.

Breakdown of Your Results:
  • English Advanced: 68%, Rank 40/66
  • Mathematics Extension 1: 92%, Rank 2/42
  • Mathematics Extension 2: 87%, Rank 2/15
  • Chemistry: 75-80%, Rank 11/30
  • Physics: 78.4%, Rank 9/26
  • Investigating Science: 76-82%, Rank 6/27
ATAR Predictions:
  1. Mathematics Extension 1 and 2: Your strong performance in Extension 1 and 2 (ranked 2nd in both) should heavily boost your ATAR. Maths Ext 1 and 2 typically scale very well, and with your top rankings, these subjects will likely contribute the most to your ATAR.
  2. English Advanced: A mark of 68% and a middle-rank (40/66) could lower your ATAR slightly, as English is compulsory and often contributes heavily to the ATAR calculation. However, since it's not at the lowest end, it won't have a drastic negative impact.
  3. Chemistry: You’re in the top third of the cohort for Chemistry, which scales decently, so it should provide solid support to your ATAR, though it won’t be as impactful as your maths marks.
  4. Physics: Similarly, your ranking and mark in Physics are respectable, and with Physics generally scaling well, this will add a positive contribution to your ATAR.
  5. Investigating Science: This subject doesn’t scale as well as the others, but your relatively high rank should mitigate this to some extent. It might end up as your 10th unit if your performance in the other subjects is higher.
Estimated ATAR:
Given your high rankings in Maths Ext 1 and 2, and solid results in the sciences, you could be looking at an ATAR in the high 80s to mid-90s, potentially around 90-94 depending on how scaling goes this year and your final HSC exam performance.

Hope this helps! 😀

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
From this information, you seem to be on track with an ATAR between 93.5 and 95. Your performance is essentially favourable across most of your subjects, with some differences between those subjects.

Mathematics Extension 1 is your best-performing subject and is likely to make a very good contribution to your ATAR (especially since it will count as two units in your case). You should therefore ensure that you thoroughly prepare for your Mathematics Extension 1 HSC exam to maintain this highly favourable level of performance. Much of the same can be suggested regarding your performance in Mathematics Extension 2 and Investigating Science. This means that both of these subjects are also likely to make good contributions to your ATAR, although perhaps slightly less significant compared to Mathematics Extension 1.

While your performance in physics is not unfavourable, there seems to be room for improvement in this subject. Addressing any areas of improvement as you prepare for this subject's HSC exam would allow you to improve your overall performance, resulting in a greater contribution to your ATAR from this subject.

On the other hand, Chemistry and English Advanced appear to be your lowest-performing subjects, especially the latter. This can be problematic for English Advanced because while Chemistry can be disregarded as part of the 10 units that count towards your ATAR (since you are taking 12 units), English Advanced must count towards your ATAR. As such, you should place greater emphasis on your preparations for your English Advanced HSC exam, and whether you wish to do the same for your Chemistry HSC exam will be up to you.

I hope this helps! :D

ajtho777

HSC
From this information, you seem to be on track with an ATAR between 93.5 and 95. Your performance is essentially favourable across most of your subjects, with some differences between those subjects.

Mathematics Extension 1 is your best-performing subject and is likely to make a very good contribution to your ATAR (especially since it will count as two units in your case). You should therefore ensure that you thoroughly prepare for your Mathematics Extension 1 HSC exam to maintain this highly favourable level of performance. Much of the same can be suggested regarding your performance in Mathematics Extension 2 and Investigating Science. This means that both of these subjects are also likely to make good contributions to your ATAR, although perhaps slightly less significant compared to Mathematics Extension 1.

While your performance in physics is not unfavourable, there seems to be room for improvement in this subject. Addressing any areas of improvement as you prepare for this subject's HSC exam would allow you to improve your overall performance, resulting in a greater contribution to your ATAR from this subject.

On the other hand, Chemistry and English Advanced appear to be your lowest-performing subjects, especially the latter. This can be problematic for English Advanced because while Chemistry can be disregarded as part of the 10 units that count towards your ATAR (since you are taking 12 units), English Advanced must count towards your ATAR. As such, you should place greater emphasis on your preparations for your English Advanced HSC exam, and whether you wish to do the same for your Chemistry HSC exam will be up to you.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks so much! This is was really helpful. This is good to hear. Thanks @jimmysmith560 !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)