ATAR help!!! (1 Viewer)

occhiolisms

HSC
I'm on 10 units right now and want to do medicine, preferably at UNSW but idk how likely that is now. I really messed up half-yearlies.

For scaling context, I go to a top 5 selective school.

Here are my raw marks:

English Adv: 84 (I can def bring this up to a low 90s) - above grade average (our school is very good at english, 62% cohort got band 6 last year)
Physics:
Assessment 1: 53/55 (topped grade)
Assessment 2: have't gotten back yet, kind of messed it up but it was bad for everyone so hopefully grade average?
Spanish Beginners: 97 (Rank 1, and at my school, rank 1 and 2 usually take out 1st and 2nd in state) - way above grade average
3U Maths: 81 (I usually do bad in first half of year and pull up with yearly, was top 10 last year) - slightly above grade average
4U Maths: 64 (below average i did very bad in term 2)

If I do well in term 3, trials and HSC, can I still get a low 99/high 98?? I'm really panicking, I don't know what to do. Please help :(

quickoats

HSC
Given that you go to a top 5 school, I wouldn’t stress too much about the raw marks, as exams are usually more difficult and teachers mark a lot harsher since the candidature is more high performing.

Judging by your marks, you could achieve 98/99 - some of the community on BoS would probably be able to give you a better estimate with more data, but these are uncertain times...

Have you considered Medicine at WSU? UNSW tends to require an upper 99 atar in conjunction with a high 90s UCAT if you don’t quality for any EAS considerations - check out medstudentsonline for more info on the marks required, whereas WSU operates under a 95.5 atar threshold i.e. every student who achieves above that is considered equally. If you’re willing to move interstate, consider some other unis as well - UQ and UWA seem to be popular with NSW students.

good luck!!

yooook

HSC
I'm on 10 units right now and want to do medicine, preferably at UNSW but idk how likely that is now. I really messed up half-yearlies.

Here are my raw marks:

English Adv: 84 (I can def bring this up to a low 90s) - above grade average (our school is very good at english, 62% cohort got band 6 last year)
Physics:
Assessment 2: have't gotten back yet, kind of messed it up but it was bad for everyone so hopefully grade average?
Spanish Beginners: 97 (Rank 1, and at my school, rank 1 and 2 usually take out 1st and 2nd in state) - way above grade average
3U Maths: 81 (I usually do bad in first half of year and pull up with yearly, was top 10 last year) - slightly above grade average

If I do well in term 3, trials and HSC, can I still get a low 99/high 98?? I'm really panicking, I don't know what to do. Please help :(
u go to hornsby girls?

hschelper01

HSC

Here are my raw marks:

Physics:

You're fine... those marks are amazing. Keep in mind, it's hard to determine your actual 'ATAR' at the moment with everything that's going on (new syllabus and external circumstances) - moderation and the way exams are marked will be very different to last year and previous HSC cohorts because of this.

I'd suggest having a backup plan like someone said earlier... consider medicine at WSU as well as UNSW just in case maybe?

Hope it helps!

dasfas

HSC
Yeah, you should be able to get the atar you want, just keep working hard. Also don't forget about the ucat. Even if you don't get in to usnw med, doing a bachelor's degree is also fine, since you get to do a degree that can act as a backup in case you want to drop out of med.

_rakelt

HSC
Just concentrate on getting the marks you want, as there are many ways to get into med school (undergraduate --> postgraduate, or transferring at beginning of second year of pre med etc). Also im pre sure UNSW only offers around 15 spots. Just also know alot of other unis have med (notre dame, wsu, wollongong, newscastle, usyd) so just keep your mind open!

occhiolisms

HSC
Given that you go to a top 5 school, I wouldn’t stress too much about the raw marks, as exams are usually more difficult and teachers mark a lot harsher since the candidature is more high performing.

Judging by your marks, you could achieve 98/99 - some of the community on BoS would probably be able to give you a better estimate with more data, but these are uncertain times...

Have you considered Medicine at WSU? UNSW tends to require an upper 99 atar in conjunction with a high 90s UCAT if you don’t quality for any EAS considerations - check out medstudentsonline for more info on the marks required, whereas WSU operates under a 95.5 atar threshold i.e. every student who achieves above that is considered equally. If you’re willing to move interstate, consider some other unis as well - UQ and UWA seem to be popular with NSW students.

good luck!!
Thanks so much. That makes me feel a lot better :)
I've just started studying for the UCAT and I'm not terrible at it, I'm in the high 90s for a couple categories. Hopefully with some more practise I can get a good score! And yeah, I'll definitely be applying to WSU and other unis as well (like New England, UQ etc.), I'm just hoping for UNSW haha.

occhiolisms

HSC
Just concentrate on getting the marks you want, as there are many ways to get into med school (undergraduate --> postgraduate, or transferring at beginning of second year of pre med etc). Also im pre sure UNSW only offers around 15 spots. Just also know alot of other unis have med (notre dame, wsu, wollongong, newscastle, usyd) so just keep your mind open!
Thnks for the advice, I'll definitely be applying to other med schools. As far as I'm aware, UNSW has 100-200 undergraduate seats? USyd has 30, perhaps you got them confused?

quickoats

HSC
Thnks for the advice, I'll definitely be applying to other med schools. As far as I'm aware, UNSW has 100-200 undergraduate seats? USyd has 30, perhaps you got them confused?
I think _rakeIt was talking about postgraduate pathways i.e. UNSW’s lateral entry scheme, where they get the top 15? of the medsci cohort to enter year 4 of the MD program. This pathway is probably not advisable as it is uncertain, but it’s good to hear that you’re keeping your options open with other unis - often, some people get caught up in the “prestige” factor of a university, so they enter a degree with the intent on transferring in, rather than getting the degree they want elsewhere.

Again, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)