• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ATAR Prediction please :) (1 Viewer)

ihatehsc24

HSC
so for the protocol levels try and memorise the communication systems framework,

for the error checking methods:
PARITY BIT - Worst because it can only detect 1 other possibility which means that it can only detect 50% of the errors of corrupted messages
CHECKSUM - Average because it can detect a larger amount of errors but some data can still slip through if the digits which are added still equal the same sum and provide the same remainder.
CRC - Best it can detect 99.9% errors because it uses a complex division process by combining all the numbers into one large number instead of adding then dividing it by the divisor, which gives a insanely large remainder which is almost not likely to occur if any data changes.

Topologies:
Memorises the shapes of them

Star - best, can still work if one connection is broken, most expensive to set up
Bus - Worst, data collides all the time slowing the transmission down, doesn't work if the main line is broken, cheapest
Ring - Alright, data still collides sometimes but rarely, doesn't work if ring is broken, medium price
Wireless - Alright, useful for any wireless medium such as phones, medium price
Hybrid - Mixture of any topology to create a better more functional one, can be expensive or cheap based on topologies used.

Hope this information helps, if you need anything else let me know.
Thank you so much!

Demons

HSC
would you be able to share the whole course notes? If not, just for communication systems would work as well.
I have whole course notes, but they are restricted by our teacher because she is the one who wrote them.

I can send you my communication notes that I made:

are you able to send me a email address to my dm?

WhoseAdam

HSC
so for the protocol levels try and memorise the communication systems framework,

for the error checking methods:
PARITY BIT - Worst because it can only detect 1 other possibility which means that it can only detect 50% of the errors of corrupted messages
CHECKSUM - Average because it can detect a larger amount of errors but some data can still slip through if the digits which are added still equal the same sum and provide the same remainder.
CRC - Best it can detect 99.9% errors because it uses a complex division process by combining all the numbers into one large number instead of adding then dividing it by the divisor, which gives a insanely large remainder which is almost not likely to occur if any data changes.

Topologies:
Memorises the shapes of them

Star - best, can still work if one connection is broken, most expensive to set up
Bus - Worst, data collides all the time slowing the transmission down, doesn't work if the main line is broken, cheapest
Ring - Alright, data still collides sometimes but rarely, doesn't work if ring is broken, medium price
Wireless - Alright, useful for any wireless medium such as phones, medium price
Hybrid - Mixture of any topology to create a better more functional one, can be expensive or cheap based on topologies used.

Hope this information helps, if you need anything else let me know.
another thing to add to this they tend to sometimes put diagrams of Topologies in mc if you have to identity one always look for the terminators at the end as it narrows it down to hybrid or bus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)