Atar question (1 Viewer)

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
the only thing that really matters internally is: ranks and the relative differences between those ranks. NOTHING else
Yeah I get what you mean but it shouldn't be said that ranks are the determinants in the moderation process but the marks themselves - more specifically the relative gap between your cumulative internal and 1st, and your cumulative internal and last. Ranks are only a simplified way to indicate whether one person's internal cumulative mark higher than another person's without providing any information on relative gaps. I think this concept is quite misled across this forum.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Yeah I get what you mean but it shouldn't be said that ranks are the determinants in the moderation process but the marks themselves - more specifically the relative gap between your cumulative internal and 1st, and your cumulative internal and last. Ranks are only a simplified way to indicate whether one person's internal cumulative mark higher than another person's without providing any information on relative gaps. I think this concept is quite misled across this forum.
the marks themselves mean nothing to Board of Studies; but rather; as you said; "the relative gap between your cumulative internal and 1st, and your cumulative internal and last" which indicates you assessment mark.

it's like this; James ruse had generally (IMO) harder exams than our school but I did quite well in my internal exams for 2U (I did accelerated) and got an average of 80something% where as some asian in James Ruse, probably better than me is sitting on 60% so the HSC marks will influence your internal mark based on your rank and the differences between them

yes I have seen many misconceptions across the forums too but I really don't care about explaining the process every single time and fixing it when in fact it has no relevance to them and as far as they're concerned; just do well and try your best in the exams and then you will be rewarded

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
the marks themselves mean nothing to Board of Studies; but rather; as you said; "the relative gap between your cumulative internal and 1st, and your cumulative internal and last" which indicates you assessment mark.

it's like this; James ruse had generally (IMO) harder exams than our school but I did quite well in my internal exams for 2U (I did accelerated) and got an average of 80something% where as some asian in James Ruse, probably better than me is sitting on 60% so the HSC marks will influence your internal mark based on your rank and the differences between them

yes I have seen many misconceptions across the forums too but I really don't care about explaining the process every single time and fixing it when in fact it has no relevance to them and as far as they're concerned; just do well and try your best in the exams and then you will be rewarded
Yeah -_- We've been on the same wavelength the whole time. I was just asking OP what the % gap between OP's mark and mark of person coming last was and using this in addition to the 5% gap between OP and first and the estimated external marks provided, the OP's moderated mark can be estimated.

Simile

HSC
N/A
There is like a 10 mark difference between first and I in most of the subjects.

Simile

HSC
N/A
I am aware you can predict my atar, and I was just merely stating because you were talking about the relevant differences.

zhertec

HSC
Basically what Seventhroot is trying to say is that BOS only looks at the internal rankings and the relative gap between each of the ranks. The actual marks of your HSC exam is determined by the external exam, in which the highest external exam mark will be used as the highest internal assessment mark for your cohort (converse applies for the lowest ranking person and mark). You keep your own external exam mark and it is averaged out with your internal assessment mark to give the final exam mark (the one you see on the website), obviously there is alignment yada yada but I don't know where that comes in exactly. This is why people in ruse, although having "low" internal marks, are still able to achieve band 6's as the overall cohort does well in the external HSC exam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2jEyjEJiM This video probably explains it better.

P.S. if the information in this post is incorrect, ignore it completely lol....

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Basically what Seventhroot is trying to say is that BOS only looks at the internal rankings and the relative gap between each of the ranks. The actual marks of your HSC exam is determined by the external exam, in which the highest external exam mark will be used as the highest internal assessment mark for your cohort (converse applies for the lowest ranking person and mark). You keep your own external exam mark and it is averaged out with your internal assessment mark to give the final exam mark (the one you see on the website), obviously there is alignment yada yada but I don't know where that comes in exactly. This is why people in ruse, although having "low" internal marks, are still able to achieve band 6's as the overall cohort does well in the external HSC exam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2jEyjEJiM This video probably explains it better.

P.S. if the information in this post is incorrect, ignore it completely lol....
awww my legal studies teacher made that video <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)