ATAR+Ranking+School rank (1 Viewer)

m27

HSC
I would like to ask a few questions with the HSC on how rankings and also the school rank affect my ATAR.

Firstly my subjects are low scaling except for physics, but I am in the top 6 for each subject:

1st/36 in general maths - marks from the past assessments averaged to 88 - aiming for band 6
1st/45 in standard English - marks from the past assessments averaged to 86 - aiming for high band 5
2nd/17 in visual Art - marks from the past assessment 73 aiming for band 5
6th/15 in physics - 65 aiming for band 5
2nd/8 in design and technology -90 aiming for band 6

I still have the trials to go I was just wondering if an atar of 80-86 is still achievable?
Also I have one bad factor that will affect my Atar which is being enrolled in a school that is ranked around the 600th & how does this affect me??

Thanks for reading and replying to this post.

enoilgam

HSC
First, school rank has NO effect on your ATAR, but the strength of your cohort does. Its very hard to say whether or not your goal is achievable, but I'd say your probably looking at 70ish at the moment. If you do well on the trials and externals go then I definitely think you could get in the 80's.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Not a very pleasant situation. Although your school rank is independent of your ATAR, but by looking at the rank ~ 600th, I can wonder what kind of cohort you have…. But anyhow, since your ranks are not too bad it depends on your externals.
Although I have a bad feeling about your aims if it's literally achievable. I still would doubt you would get band 6 in maths. I also doubt you would get even a band 5 in english, most likely a band 4. I don't know anything about art. Having a rank of 6th at your school err… well 65 is definitely not a good thing to see, so most likely a band 4 in terms of physics. I don't also know anything about design and technology. My guess would you will fit under the 70's category like maybe around 73 - 75 ish.

Despite by seeing you have a extremely weak cohort, your subjects are very low in terms of scaling. You are very lucky you did physics, but sorry it doesn't look like you can get around the 80's.

m27

HSC
Ok thanks for your feedback, I will certainly try to boost these marks up in both the trials and the HSC.

Demise

HSC
Your cohort may have a large amount of kids doing bad, but your ranks seem high so now it all depends on your externals. For all we know, you can score 70s-80s raw in those subjects which aren't too bad, so you can potentially reach 80-86 if you ensure your externals are high. Good luck and work your ass off in those trials and externals.

m27

HSC
Thanks for posting man, I sure will, and good luck to you.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's hard to say as your cohort could be very weak, is your school consistently around the 600th mark?

You're looking at an ATAR in 70s atm-but 80s is achievable, push you physics up and slay externals.

FreeLearner

HSC
You're either extremely good at english or have easy marking teachers ? since my school no one gets a band 5 in the exams, and we're ranked top 50, and on top of that only a fraction of the state even touch a band 5, a high band 5 is like top 100 in the state if not top 50.... you're essays need to be perfect and also essays that stand out compared to everyone else...

I'd estimate around an ATAR of 78-80, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)