ATAR Scaling & Alignment Question (1 Viewer)

ZackXXT

HSC
I made the mistake of choosing (English Standard) as I quite frankly hate English or should I say Literature.

My HSC subjects include:

Ancient History
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
English Standard

I am a high-achiever with most of my knowledge surrounding economics, law, business and history which I have reflected in my subject choices. My only concern is with regards to English as I can almost ensure my success for my other subjects due to the amount of work I put into studying them.

What result do I need to attain for English Standard to simply get it to 89-91. It is my understanding that the scaling for standard and advanced are the same. However, I am not familiar with this 'alignment'.

?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The mark required for Standard English will be dependent of your other subjects.
If you can achieve mid 80s for most of your subjects, then you would need your standard mark to be the highest i.e. 89.
This way you will be able to achieve an ATAR of 89+.
However, your final marks are also dependent of your cohort's performance, do you know what your school rank is?

ZackXXT

HSC
I rank in the top 2 for all my elected topics and can genuinely attain Band 6's across the board as I love all my subjects excluding English and am very passionate about them. I am confident that I can achieve mid to high 90's in all my subjects excluding English.

I attend Randwick Boys High School.... With regards to English how much room for error do I have? I need an ATAR in English of 89 to leave some room for error as I am aiming for an ATAR of 98.25.

If I rank highly will my school still bring me down?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I rank in the top 2 for all my elected topics and can genuinely attain Band 6's across the board as I love all my subjects excluding English and am very passionate about them. I am confident that I can achieve mid to high 90's in all my subjects excluding English.

I attend Randwick Boys High School.... With regards to English how much room for error do I have? I need an ATAR in English of 89 to leave some room for error as I am aiming for an ATAR of 98.25.

If I rank highly will my school still bring me down?
Okay, in that case I'd suggest you aim to rank 1st in Standard English, are you capable of doing that?

ZackXXT

HSC
It is possible. I am not bad at English at all I just dislike it. Hypothetically if I attained an English overall of 89 in Standard would the 'alignment' factor bring my English ATAR down?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It is possible. I am not bad at English at all I just dislike it. Hypothetically if I attained an English overall of 89 in Standard would the 'alignment' factor bring my English ATAR down?
No. The scaling may.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)